GDT: The Not So Wild-Cats

Littlebill

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, willie said:

McKillip showed how to defend the Bills. Pack the middle,  don’t let French or Goodwin get to the rim. In spite of Weavers good game we don’t have enough outside shooting to open the middle. Ford’s options are obviously limited but I think I would try the pressing/ trapping game. The best run we had tonight came off turnovers. Our options are limited. 

Agree, great game plan by Davidson & SLU should employ the press more often. They have the athleticism and quickness to rattle opponents.

Jacobs being a non factor hurt tonight as well. He’s the kind of player who needs to get active via the press, which creates offensive opportunities in transition. Those opportunities to drive the lane weren’t happening otherwise tonight.

David King likes this

It's all my fault. I should have watched it on TV in Charleston. I am now 1-9 watching the Bills live since 2005. 

Live from Davidson: 

did talk w/ Rammer and Earl before the game. Rammer said if Thatch and Jimerson were healthy, we'd likely only have one loss. Good guys. 

Went with Billikenbill. Fun guy and a UNC grad. Grew up in StL and loves the Bills. 

Big Al Tarheel Billiken reunion. Al's a great guy! 

Met BillsCPA and his girlfriend, wife, fiancé not sure. Again good guy and his significant other is a 10. I knew I should have majored in accounting. 

Davidsons band is a joke unless you like non stop cowbells. 

McKillop out coached Travis. It didn't help that Has and JGood had their worst games of the year. I don't know why we didn't get more Jimmy Bell. Has was mobbed every time he touched the ball. We really looked awful on the inside, because Davidson packed it in tighter than a Kardashian in yoga pants. 

Again, sorry. I should stay home. 

12 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

Should I be worried about the Fordham game? Geeez.

Unfortunately I think we need to be worried about every game.

Its who they are.

The good news is that any team we play needs to be worried about the Bills too.

We have the ability to beat any team in the league and the flaws to lose to any team in  the league. 
I recommend stocking up on either heart burn medicine or booze. It’s going to be an exciting finish to the season.

Box and Won likes this

36 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agree, great game plan by Davidson & SLU should employ the press more often. They have the athleticism and quickness to rattle opponents.

Jacobs being a non factor hurt tonight as well. He’s the kind of player who needs to get active via the press, which creates offensive opportunities in transition. Those opportunities to drive the lane weren’t happening otherwise tonight.

I'll die on the "we should of pressed for the last 10 minutes" hill. Obviously half court wasn't working. Our advantage is our athleticism. Maybe we don't have the guys again this year in Ford's opinion. I don't know.

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'll die on the "we should of pressed for the last 10 minutes" hill. Obviously half court wasn't working. Our advantage is our athleticism. Maybe we don't have the guys again this year in Ford's opinion. I don't know.

The way the game was being officiated, Jon Axel may have set a record for most free throw attempts.  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

It's all my fault. I should have watched it on TV in Charleston. I am now 1-9 watching the Bills live since 2005. 

Live from Davidson: 

did talk w/ Rammer and Earl before the game. Rammer said if Thatch and Jimerson were healthy, we'd likely only have one loss. Good guys. 

Went with Billikenbill. Fun guy and a UNC grad. Grew up in StL and loves the Bills. 

Big Al Tarheel Billiken reunion. Al's a great guy! 

Met BillsCPA and his girlfriend, wife, fiancé not sure. Again good guy and his significant other is a 10. I knew I should have majored in accounting. 

Davidsons band is a joke unless you like non stop cowbells. 

McKillop out coached Travis. It didn't help that Has and JGood had their worst games of the year. I don't know why we didn't get more Jimmy Bell. Has was mobbed every time he touched the ball. We really looked awful on the inside, because Davidson packed it in tighter than a Kardashian in yoga pants. 

Again, sorry. I should stay home. 

Yes, despite the outcome, it was a good time. Rammer and Earl were fun to talk to, and enjoyed meeting slu72, tarheelbilliken, BillsCPA, and his gorgeous significant other, a definite 10!! Well done, BillsCPA!! There were two other slu grads from the area who sat next to us as well who were nice folks. 
I should add that slu72 had the line of the night. A Davidson fan asked him what is a Billiken and he said, “It’s a troll that eats Wildcats.” 

That reply got a healthy laugh. Next up, got to start salvaging the season by beating Fordham. Fordham beat GW tonight at home, 59-54. At this point, can’t take anything for granted.

BillsCPA likes this

4 hours ago, Littlebill said:

McKillop can’t coach his way out of a Cracker Jack box. We’ll be okay

LOL. He’s one of the best and showed why tonight.

McKillop double teamed French, and clogged the lane against French and Goodwin.

Perkins and Weaver were the bright spots in the otherwise dark cloud, each hitting 5 3-Pointers.  Perkins had 25 points for the second straight game.

More athletic SLU was surprisingly outrebounded by Davidson 39-36.  Davidson had 9 Offensive Rebounds, which was too many, and also surprising.  Some of those Davidson Offensive Rebounds were huge.

Gudmunsson hit 15-16 Free Throws in scoring 20.  SLU was outscored 26-7 at the FT Line.  Free Throws matter, obviously.  SLU was whistled for 25 fouls, to only 12 for Davidson.

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

34 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

McKillop double teamed French, and clogged the lane against French and Goodwin.

Perkins and Weaver were the bright spots in the otherwise dark cloud, each hitting 5 3-Pointers.  Perkins had 25 points for the second straight game.

More athletic SLU was surprisingly outrebounded by Davidson 39-36.  Davidson had 9 Offensive Rebounds, which was too many, and also surprising.  Some of those Davidson Offensive Rebounds were huge.

Gudmunsson hit 15-16 Free Throws in scoring 20.  SLU was outscored 26-7 at the FT Line.  Free Throws matter, obviously.  SLU was whistled for 25 fouls, to only 12 for Davidson.

There is no doubt in my mind that the refs played a significant part in this game. Hassahn was clobbered by sometimes up to 4 defenders that coalesced on him, but a lot of the time no fouls were called, and so on and so forth. This does not detract from the fact that Davidson neutralized our inside game and made it extremely difficult for us to score 2 pointers. They played well and had a good defensive plan that worked, there is no way around it, they beat us.

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

this is the game.  thanks zebras.   must feel good to have that kind of power and use it unfairly.  french was beat to hell every time he got the ball.  while i really didnt want him shooting free throws, he should have shot as many or more than gundmundson and should have fouled out their entire inside game if the refs were doing their job equally for both teams.  

Old guy and AGB91 like this

With the loss of Jimerson, we are much like last years team, inviting packed in defenses and capable of winning or losing every game. Teams will dare Goodwin and Yuri to take 3s.  Even Perkins and Jacob's, until they hit a couple. 

We shot 34% from the field. Goodwin, French, and Collins had bad games. Hargrove was really bad. Bell and Diarra didn't give us 10 minutes combined. Jacobs disappeared again. The officiating was bad but the team played terribly last night. Didn't seem like they were ready to play and sounds like Ford acknowledged that. 

12 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

With the loss of Jimerson, we are much like last years team, inviting packed in defenses and capable of winning or losing every game. Teams will dare Goodwin and Yuri to take 3s.  Even Perkins and Jacob's, until they hit a couple. 

What's interesting about this game, other than the wretched officiating, was that Davidson stuck to its guns.  We hit 10 three-pointers on almost 40% shooting last night.  Davidson didn't care.  They believed that if they packed the paint, French and Goodwin aren't going to hurt you outside of 5 feet.  Most nights, they will be absolutely right.  Even if the zebras had done their job, they gambled that French and Goodwin would miss most of the free throws anyway.  

Only Yuri and Perkins can penetrate a packed defense and only Yuri has the vision to find a teammate while doing so.  The zebras took him off the chess board early by calling two ticky tack fouls.  Even when he returned, he played tentative for much of the game to avoid the third foul.   Not Yuri's fault, but we have so little room for error on the road.  We're not getting the respect of the officials in opponents' gyms , despite what we've accomplished so far this year.  Our bully ball reputation is working against us.

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We shot 34% from the field. Goodwin, French, and Collins had bad games. Hargrove was really bad. Bell and Diarra didn't give us 10 minutes combined. Jacobs disappeared again. The officiating was bad but the team played terribly last night. Didn't seem like they were ready to play and sounds like Ford acknowledged that. 

Maybe ford shouldn’t be giving them long weekends in the middle of the season.