Littlebill

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

This would be a bad loss right?

Yes it would if our team wants to do something special they must win games like this.

GoSluBills likes this

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

You got it.  Losing to a plus 100 NET team, even on their court ain't gonna get us in the Dance. 

Having answered your question, we will not lose.  If I was a betting person, I would take some of the LV odds, which have us a a 3-3.5 pt dog.  While losing Jimerson and Thatch really hurts, those losses are somewhat counterbalanced by the improving play of Yuri and the greatly improved play of Perkins.  I would also like to see Jacobs become more aggressive on offense, taking the ball to the basket like JG does.  Jacobs need to start using his outstanding athletic abilities.  If I remember correctly, he only took 3 shots in the UD game and made all 3.  In a similar way, I would like to see TH Jr going to the hoop more so than taking shots from beyond the arc.  As good as both of those players are at the line, they could both be real factors in our offense, especially against a team with Davidson's size (lack thereof)

3 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Funny enough, by NET ratings, this would be our 3rd best win of the season if we can pull it out. Plus being 4-2 (as opposed to 3-3) going into Fordham/La Salle/Joes section of our schedule would be huge

Sorry, but your "if we can pull it out" is playing straight man for Jimbo . 

I suggest replacing that phrase with "when we win."

I don't think it meets a technical definition of a bad loss, although if it ends up being our worst loss it might go in the "bad loss" column when the bracketologists are talking about SLU.

Davidson is 110 today. Duquesne is 55, Auburn is 20, Seton Hall is 12, Dayton is 5. A road loss to 110 is not a season killer. It just forces us to be nearly perfect the rest of the season. It's the kind of game a bubble team has to win. I think the word I used yesterday was "ceiling" in terms of what it does to our season.

SLU has a chance to win the next five heading into the Dayton rematch - @Davidson, vs. Fordham, @La Salle, @St. Joe's, vs. Duquesne. If we do that, I think we're solidly on the bubble again when we play at Dayton, putting ourselves yet again in position to grab a signature win and really boost the rating.

A loss to Fordham, La Salle, or Joe's basically ends the season. Being ranked next to them and having lost the first one, we basically have to take the second Duquesne game, too.

28 minutes ago, bauman said:

You got it.  Losing to a plus 100 NET team, even on their court ain't gonna get us in the Dance. 

Having answered your question, we will not lose.  If I was a betting person, I would take some of the LV odds, which have us a a 3-3.5 pt dog.  While losing Jimerson and Thatch really hurts, those losses are somewhat counterbalanced by the improving play of Yuri and the greatly improved play of Perkins.  I would also like to see Jacobs become more aggressive on offense, taking the ball to the basket like JG does.  Jacobs need to start using his outstanding athletic abilities.  If I remember correctly, he only took 3 shots in the UD game and made all 3.  In a similar way, I would like to see TH Jr going to the hoop more so than taking shots from beyond the arc.  As good as both of those players are at the line, they could both be real factors in our offense, especially against a team with Davidson's size (lack thereof)

Yes, Davidson's post and interior defense is pathetic and they have no one providing rim protection. I expect them to play some zone and hopefully we will still attack the basket rather than settle for long jump shots.  

25 minutes ago, willie said:

How can it be a bad loss when we are a 2 1/2 point dog? 

Theres two types of bad losses.  Vegas  and ncaa tournament chances. the last one is whats important, and would make this a bad loss. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Theres two types of bad losses.  Vegas  and ncaa tournament chances. the last one is whats important, and would make this a bad loss. 

I am not saying we don't need to win this for our NCAA chances I'm am just questioning the term bad  loss on a game we are underdogs. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I am not saying we don't need to win this for our NCAA chances I'm am just questioning the term bad  loss on a game we are underdogs. 

for one we shouldn't be underdogs. Davidson is trash. also id like to think people are saying its a bad loss because of the tourney chances, not so much vegas. 

-JGood and HAS will be the leaders, as always, but I anticipate in this game JBJr doing great damage on the offensive end to be one of the keys to our victory, like a 15 and 9 kind of night

-if I knew how I would post one of those boxes where you could click and have Jethro Tull playing Locomotive Breath

Me and slu72 will be in the house tonight and we’re locked in as well. Bills better win as this is the first time in 10 years I’ve seen them in person. That last time didn’t go so well.

Bills need to turn those Wildcats into Mildkittens before the night is through.

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Yes it would if our team wants to do something special they must win games like this.

1 hour ago, willie said:

How can it be a bad loss when we are a 2 1/2 point dog? 

In my opinion a (hypothetical) loss at Davidson would not be a "bad loss" — by definition — just like the game at Duquesne was not a bad loss, by definition.  However, it would, like at Duquesne, represent a massive missed opportunity.  I think the way some of you are using the term, "bad loss," would better be stated, "missed opportunity."

An A-10 fan likes this

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

In my opinion a (hypothetical) loss at Davidson would not be a "bad loss" — by definition — just like the game at Duquesne was not a bad loss, by definition.  However, it would, like at Duquesne, represent a massive missed opportunity.  I think the way some of you are using the term, "bad loss," would better be stated, "missed opportunity."

I think of this game much differently than the Duq game.  

Duqesne is currently a Q1 loss and could slip to a Q2 loss if Duqesne falters down the stretch.

Losing this game is a Q2 loss and is just as close to slipping to a Q3 loss if Davidson falters (much more likely than Duquesne in my opinion).

We can probably afford 1 or *maybe* 2 Q2 losses, but a Q3 loss would be pretty fatal for our tournament hopes. 

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-JGood and HAS will be the leaders, as always, but I anticipate in this game JBJr doing great damage on the offensive end to be one of the keys to our victory, like a 15 and 9 kind of night

-if I knew how I would post one of those boxes where you could click and have Jethro Tull playing Locomotive Breath

Gotcha covered Cowboy

26 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I think of this game much differently than the Duq game.  

Duqesne is currently a Q1 loss and could slip to a Q2 loss if Duqesne falters down the stretch.

Losing this game is a Q2 loss and is just as close to slipping to a Q3 loss if Davidson falters (much more likely than Duquesne in my opinion).

We can probably afford 1 or *maybe* 2 Q2 losses, but a Q3 loss would be pretty fatal for our tournament hopes. 

I agree that the games are on different levels, and it would hurt the Bills more to lose this game; I just don't think it's fair to consider it a "bad loss."  All that said, I believe the Bills better and should win this game, to solidify their position at the top of the league.