Jordan Goodwin's NBA Chances

David King

I guess we can wait until draft day. There is a difference between being a huge Billiken fan being blind to facts. Watch the NBA zone night and tell me Goodwin can play in the NBA. Please. 

Bess is 6’6” tall, arguably one of the top defenders in the country, shoots 80% from the line, developed a nice jumper and he can’t make it. 
Did you get see a parent have a pretty daughter and dream up she could be Ms USA or a high school kid hit 400 in baseball and his parents say he’s going to the major leagues. Don’t get caught up in emotion. 

We’ve people saying Bell could make it in the NBA and he’s played one game over 20 minutes. 
Willie Reed is not in the NBA and he’s score break Wilt C. record every night. Have you ever seen Marquee Perry or Kevin Lisch???? I have and Never ever for a look. Please. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use a theory based on Treveon Graham you could argue that anyone had a legit shot at the NBA. You can also get hit by lightning if you play out in storms long enough. Just plan on playing out there for a few hundred years. 
I am having a hard time comprehending I’m reading we have 5-6 potential NBA players on our team???? Where the he’ll am I!???? 

1 minute ago, FanMan said:

If you use a theory based on Treveon Graham you could argue that anyone had a legit shot at the NBA. You can also get hit by lightning if you play out in storms long enough. Just plan on playing out there for a few hundred years. 
I am having a hard time comprehending I’m reading we have 5-6 potential NBA players on our team???? Where the he’ll am I!???? 

You are on a SLU message board. Where most of us are SLU fans. You can get lost now though. 

Look up Jimmer Ferdette is in China averaging 40 points per game and can’t break the NBA!

Grayson Allen is in the G League. He can’t crack the G league. 

I was likely a Billiken fan before you were born. Doesn’t keep me from going to fairy tale land. 

This stuff blows my mind!

Just now, FanMan said:

Look up Jimmer Ferdette is in China averaging 40 points per game and can’t break the NBA!

I was likely a Billiken fan before you were born. Doesn’t keep me from going to fairy tale land. 

ahh so you're talking about staying in the NBA, something very difficult to do.  Most on here are talking about getting a shot.  This could mean just playing 1 minutes of the whole career or just making the roster. 

Crewsorlose likes this

12 minutes ago, FanMan said:

Not very good examples.

Jimmer played over 4 seasons in the NBA. He plays in Greece now. Grayson Allen played for Utah Jazz last year, and is averaging 17 min and 7 pt/gm for Memphis Grizzlies this year. Willie Reed did OK in the NBA for a few years too.

5 or 6 potential NBA players may be a stretch. But to think at least one current Billiken has a shot is not unreasonable.

drkelsey55 and JohnnyJumpUp like this

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

ahh so you're talking about staying in the NBA, something very difficult to do.  Most on here are talking about getting a shot.  This could mean just playing 1 minutes of the whole career or just making the roster. 

This.

Personally I would consider making the G league getting a shot.

It means NBA personnel thinks they can develop a player into an NBA level player.

48 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This.

Personally I would consider making the G league getting a shot.

It means NBA personnel thinks they can develop a player into an NBA level player.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  There are players like Javon Bess who are in the G league and fall into the category you're talking about, but there are also players like Mike McCall who played briefly in the G League (then D League) who probably never had a real chance.  G League teams need to fill out their rosters with depth players and most of those players don't really have a shot at the NBA.  If you're in the G League and getting real playing time, then you've got a shot.  If you're riding the bench, you should definitely go to Europe and make more money.  You should probably go to Europe and make more money either way, but there is no question about it for the latter group.

1 hour ago, FanMan said:

Bess is 6’6” tall, arguably one of the top defenders in the country, shoots 80% from the line, developed a nice jumper and he can’t make it. 

Who had the much better effective FG%, Bess last season or Goodwin this season? 

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

eFG%

2019 Bess: .469

2020 Goodwin: 508%

However, that's not necessarily an indicator of jump shot percentage. Obviously the majority of Goodwin's FG attempts are not jumpshots.

Bess for the record is shooting 33% from 3 in the G-league (34 of 102) which is better than what he shot a year ago (.325) with the closer line and he's certainly improved from his Jr year when he shot .270 from 3. 

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Coachspeak...

I remember Rick Majerus stating once that John Manning had the most NBA potential...

NBA potential, not going to the NBA. NBA potential is such a broad brush too. They evaluate potential based on physical gifts much more than skills. I’m assuming Majerus looked at the team and said while we’re a great team none of the older guys are NBA prospects and the younger guys aren’t prototypical NBA bodies and made his statement based on him being 6’11. I don’t think it’s fair to hold this statement against Majerus because he really was the player on that team who had the NBA potential. Loe was probably second but he didn’t have the years in front of him to reach that potential. Manning also only had 1 year under Majerus, now I’m not saying 3 more would have made a difference but Crews coaching staff didn’t do so well with developing centers. Welmer was the only one who made it 4 years. 

2 hours ago, FanMan said:

I guess we can wait until draft day. There is a difference between being a huge Billiken fan being blind to facts. Watch the NBA zone night and tell me Goodwin can play in the NBA. Please. 

Did you get see a parent have a pretty daughter and dream up she could be Ms USA or a high school kid hit 400 in baseball and his parents say he’s going to the major leagues. Don’t get caught up in emotion. 

We’ve people saying Bell could make it in the NBA and he’s played one game over 20 minutes. 
Willie Reed is not in the NBA and he’s score break Wilt C. record every night. Have you ever seen Marquee Perry or Kevin Lisch???? I have and Never ever for a look. Please. 

Too soon to say Bess can't make it, he was one of the last cuts and he's right on the door step. 

Draft day won't necessarily tell you who will and won't make it, Charlie Brown from St. Joes went undrafted but he's on an NBA roster. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

NBA scouts are also increasingly looking at FT% as a better predictor of outside shooting than 3pt%. If you were a scout looking at Jordan’s FT%, it would be reasonable to think his shooting might not translate.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin has been much better 5 feet and in than Bess.  How often is Goodwin going to get that shot at the next level?

Not nearly as often.

Interestingly, Goodwin (from a further distance) has the same 3pt% as Bess had last season.

Goodwin is a really weird player. He's a great athlete and competitor, but sometimes he looks kind of goofy. Thatch and Yuri seem more locked in on D, but Goodwin has a preternatural ability to get steals, and also to grab offensive rebounds. I can see him getting invited on a summer team. 

Jimmerson and Bell have the "do one thing really well" potential. For Jimmerson, it's obviously shooting: great release and great accuracy. For Bell, it could be post scoring. He's a baby, but has an enormous frame, soft hands, and a nice touch. Has can't get the ball out of his hands, but Bell looks like a guard when he shoots FT. If he loses another 40 pounds and adds some explosiveness, you could see  him as a center on a 2nd unit. Again, there's about 15 forks in the road before that would happen, but it's not insane or deluded that Bell or Jimmerson might one day sniff an NBA court on a 10-day contract. 

Zink likes this

46 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Goodwin is a really weird player. He's a great athlete and competitor, but sometimes he looks kind of goofy. Thatch and Yuri seem more locked in on D, but Goodwin has a preternatural ability to get steals, and also to grab offensive rebounds. I can see him getting invited on a summer team. 

Jimmerson and Bell have the "do one thing really well" potential. For Jimmerson, it's obviously shooting: great release and great accuracy. For Bell, it could be post scoring. He's a baby, but has an enormous frame, soft hands, and a nice touch. Has can't get the ball out of his hands, but Bell looks like a guard when he shoots FT. If he loses another 40 pounds and adds some explosiveness, you could see  him as a center on a 2nd unit. Again, there's about 15 forks in the road before that would happen, but it's not insane or deluded that Bell or Jimmerson might one day sniff an NBA court on a 10-day contract. 

Duncan Robinson is  why I think Jimerson has a chance. Here are his stats from Michigan

2015-16 Michigan Big Ten 36 27 28.9 3.7 8.1 .457 1.1 2.3 .476 2.6 5.9 .450 1.1 1.2 .886 0.6 2.9 3.5 1.8 0.6 0.2 1.0 2.3 11.2   7.92
2016-17 Michigan Big Ten 38 3 20.1 2.7 5.7 .470 1.0 1.7 .578 1.7 4.0 .424 0.7 0.8 .781 0.3 1.4 1.7 0.9 0.4 0.2 0.5 1.8 7.7   10.17
2017-18 Michigan Big Ten 41 19 25.8 3.0 6.8 .440 1.1 1.8 .595 1.9 5.0 .384 1.4 1.6 .891 0.5 2.0 2.4 1.1 0.7 0.4 0.6 2.4 9.2   9.41

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

We don't have anyone named Jimmerson. 😡

HoosierPal and rgbilliken like this

44 minutes ago, bauman said:

We don't have anyone named Jimmerson. 😡

I've given up that crusade.

(I was the one who posted last summer or spring: "Jimerson.  One 'M.'  Train your brain."  It didn't work.  It won't work.)

Edit: Having some posters continually using 2 M's in Gibson's last name is as inevitable as this squad's being one of the worst free-throw shooing teams in the country for the rest of this season.  Might as well accept it.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

6 hours ago, David King said:

Not very good examples.

Jimmer played over 4 seasons in the NBA. He plays in Greece now. Grayson Allen played for Utah Jazz last year, and is averaging 17 min and 7 pt/gm for Memphis Grizzlies this year. Willie Reed did OK in the NBA for a few years too.

5 or 6 potential NBA players may be a stretch. But to think at least one current Billiken has a shot is not unreasonable.

Not very good examples?

1) Jimmer is NOT in the NBA. How is that not a good example. He’s NOT in Period. Meaning if he were good enough right now he’d be in. 

2) Grayson Allen is NOT on the Memphis Grizzles!!  He’s on the Vancouver Grizzles. FYI that’s a G league team. Again, he’s not in the NBA right now because he’s not good enough 

Both of these guys are absolute studs.  To think that Goodwin could be called before either these guys is insane. 

3) Lastly, Willie Reed is a bad example. He’s score a 1,000 points against Bell and Willie is in the G league. BTW he’s a stud.

Read my post again. These guys are not in the NBA with all of their talent???

I am a huge Billiken fan and believe these are all great kids. I’m not certain I’ve missed but a handful of games in 20 years but I’m also realistic. 

It’s Insane talking about guys going to the NBA that have accomplished absolutely nothing expect Goodwin. Sadly, Jordan doesn’t have the skill set. 

I would love to have this conversation after the draft of 2021. 

4 minutes ago, FanMan said:

Not very good examples?

1) Jimmer is NOT in the NBA. How is that not a good example. He’s NOT in Period. Meaning if he were good enough right now he’d be in. 

2) Grayson Allen is NOT on the Memphis Grizzles!!  He’s on the Vancouver Grizzles. FYI that’s a G league team. Again, he’s not in the NBA right now because he’s not good enough 

Both of these guys are absolute studs.  To think that Goodwin could be called before either these guys is insane. 

3) Lastly, Willie Reed is a bad example. He’s score a 1,000 points against Bell and Willie is in the G league. BTW he’s a stud.

Read my post again. These guys are not in the NBA with all of their talent???

I am a huge Billiken fan and believe these are all great kids. I’m not certain I’ve missed but a handful of games in 20 years but I’m also realistic. 

It’s Insane talking about guys going to the NBA that have accomplished absolutely nothing expect Goodwin. Sadly, Jordan doesn’t have the skill set. 

I would love to have this conversation after the draft of 2021. 

Look at alex Caruso as an example. Played 4 years at Texas AM. Never averaged more than 9 PPG. Never shot at high % from 3. Turned the ball over a fair amount. Didn’t rebound well. Didn’t get a lot of steals or assists. Now a major piece of arguably the best team in the NBA. 

So the idea that anyone like JGood is 100% not going to make the NBA is ludicrous. You would be saying the same thing about Alex Caruso if he was still in college.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/alex-caruso-1.html

billiken_roy likes this