Jordan Goodwin's NBA Chances

David King

Curious to hear opinions on whether JGood has a shot to play in the NBA. He seems to have developed a fairly reliable midrange jump shot. His 3 point shooting has also improved. In fact, all of his stats, other than FT% have improved significantly. He made 69% of his free throws in his freshman year, so maybe even that is fixable.

Could he even be a first round draft choice? I believe Marcus Smart was 6th overall.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, David King said:

Curious to hear opinions on whether JGood has a shot to play in the NBA. He seems to have developed a fairly reliable midrange jump shot. His 3 point shooting has also improved. In fact, all of his stats, other than FT% have improved significantly. He made 69% of his free throws in his freshman year, so maybe even that is fixable.

Could he even be a first round draft choice? I believe Marcus Smart was 6th overall.

No shot at the NBA but he will be a great player overseas 

He's been compared to Smart by the man that coached them both. This would help his chances: last night Smart set a Celts record by hitting 11 3's. JGood, so far, has not shown much of a perimeter game. We need it, but, more important, so does he if he's gonna have any shot at the NBA. 

Unless his shooting takes a Tommie Liddell-like jump I think it will be tough for him to get a good shot by NBA teams. He doesn’t have any particular tools that would jump out to scouts. Jordan’s best skill is that he’s an elite competitor, whereas scouts tend to look for things like athleticism, length, shooting.

Goodwin has really long arms and big hands so he will always be able to play longer than 6'3.  If he can connect with the right shooting coach after he graduates and puts in the years of work necessary, it's possible he could become a good enough three point shooter to make it to the NBA.

If his three-point shooting could return to the level he shot at juco, our best NBA prospect is Javonte Perkins. And even he would need to spend a few years refining his overall game in the G League.

My guess is Jimerson may be most likely to have a shot at NBA some day. He’s obviously got the shot. If he can become a good defender in the next 3 years, he’d literally be the perfect 3 and D guy (emphasis on 3). Plus he’s like 6’6 which doesn’t hurt.

Thats not to say JGood has 0% chance, just think what Jimerson is good really at is exactly what NBA scout are looking for. Size/shooting and potentially D as he gets stronger 

dennis_w and 3star_recruit like this

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

My guess is Jimerson may be most likely to have a shot at NBA some day. He’s obviously got the shot. If he can become a good defender in the next 3 years, he’d literally be the perfect 3 and D guy (emphasis on 3). Plus he’s like 6’6 which doesn’t hurt.

I agree with this this assessment 

Perkins has a much greater shot than Goodwin.
He had two superb years of JUCO and has built with 1/2 of a successful season in D-1. He’s a loooong shot with another 1 1/2 years to grow his game. The key to Goodwin’s game is rebounds and put backs. Those would all disappear in the NBA.  Average ball handler at best. Horrible free throw shooter. No chance at the NBA.  0% shot. 
Great kid and young man and will be an average Player overseas. 
Absolutely no way to give an opinion on Jimmerson having only played 10 games of college basketball. Ask me in 3 years. 
BYW, in case it’s brought up, 0% for French. With his style of game at 6’7” he’d get destroyed in the NBA with all interior players between 6’9” -7’0” tall. 

16 minutes ago, FanMan said:

Perkins has a much greater shot than Goodwin.
He had two superb years of JUCO and has built with 1/2 of a successful season in D-1. He’s a loooong shot with another 1 1/2 years to grow his game. The key to Goodwin’s game is rebounds and put backs. Those would all disappear in the NBA.  Average ball handler at best. Horrible free throw shooter. No chance at the NBA.  0% shot. 
Great kid and young man and will be an average Player overseas. 
Absolutely no way to give an opinion on Jimmerson having only played 10 games of college basketball. Ask me in 3 years. 
BYW, in case it’s brought up, 0% for French. With his style of game at 6’7” he’d get destroyed in the NBA with all interior players between 6’9” -7’0” tall. 

And Hightower?

I'm not sure anyone was thinking Bess was going to get an NBA opportunity after his Jr year. But because he worked hard on his perimeter game and became a threat from the outside, he got a chance. He's not made it yet, but if he continues to grow his game he's going to be in the conversation. JGood needs that kind of game expanding jump. If he comes out next year and consistently shows he can hit perimeter shots and FTs, he could get some attention. Until that happens I don't see it, but he's a hard guy to doubt also. 

I think Goodwin's NBA potential is greater than Kyle Cassity's, but he's a longshot compared to Bess.

While there are some similarities between Jordan Goodwin and what Marcus Smart brought in college, Smart -was just at another level when it comes to his defense and athleticism. More importantly Smart is an NBA caliber ballhandler.

For Goodwin to make the NBA, he'd need to improve his ballhandling in order to play PG against the best in the world, and also improve every other aspect of his game.

The reality is he's a great fit for SLU because of his limitations - i.e. he'll be here 4 years.

Just so we know ithis thread has talked about players going to the NBA on this team that aren’t even playing half a game, have only played a total of 10 D-1 games, can’t hit the side of a barn 15 feet from the basket, etc.

There is no one on this team going to the NBA!!!

They wouldn’t be at St Louis playing SIUC and Eastern Washington if they were.

We would be 18-0 if any of these guys were that good  

I wish they were hit they are not!  Not even close!

37 minutes ago, FanMan said:

Just so we know ithis thread has talked about players going to the NBA on this team that aren’t even playing half a game, have only played a total of 10 D-1 games, can’t hit the side of a barn 15 feet from the basket, etc.

Lol

Spoon-Balls likes this

7 hours ago, FanMan said:

Treveon Graham his freshman year literally contradicts every single point you made. He played less than half the game, Shot poorly, a only scored like 7pts a game and his team didn’t go undefeated. He is now playing in the NBA.

you’re welcome to believe no one from this team will make the NBA, but your reasoning is like a freshman year Treveon Graham jumper...off the mark

Crewsorlose likes this

7 hours ago, FanMan said:

tilky did you get another new moniker?

tilky  did you get another new moniker?

10 hours ago, FanMan said:

easily one of the worst takes this board has ever seen, so thank you for that. 

rgbilliken and JohnnyJumpUp like this