Free throws

53 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yep. That's a line we can't even dream about. 

Sure we can.  We'll just have wait two years when there are no bad free throw shooters on the team for it to be a realistic possibilty .  Of course, we'll no longer have the greatest rebounding team in Billiken history either.  There's always a trade off.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, willie said:

This is really not about the Bills but basketball in general. Alabama beat Missouri by 14 points. They showed their shot chart. They took zero intermediate shots. All threes or shots in the paint. They are averaging in the eighties. Smart teams will play this way so defending the three becomes more important. I do think we give up too many open threes. 

EOQKV1sUUAArdKN.jpg

The free throws woes suck, and they cost us points for sure. But if we were making some 3s it would mask a lot of our free throw issues. In our last four games we've made 2, 4, 2 and 2 threes, respectively. It's incredibly difficult to win with that formula.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

The free throws woes suck, and they cost us points for sure. But if we were making some 3s it would mask a lot of our free throw issues. In our last four games we've made 2, 4, 2 and 2 threes, respectively. It's incredibly difficult to win with that formula.

Agreed. The Dayton loss was the combo of the 2. Weaver, Jacobs, and Perkins have to start hitting some 3s. 

On 1/19/2020 at 11:54 AM, slu72 said:

Agreed. The Dayton loss was the combo of the 2. Weaver, Jacobs, and Perkins have to start hitting some 3s. 

I like Jacobs and Weaver taking 3s. I dont like Perkins taking 3s, his long range shot is similar to French's free throws, you never know where they are going to go. Perkins is so good at taking it to the basket and absorbing contact, he just needs to keep playing his game and the three point opportunities will come when he is fouled on those takes. 

almaman likes this

11 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I like Jacobs and Weaver taking 3s. I dont like Perkins taking 3s, his long range shot is similar to French's free throws, you never know where they are going to go. Perkins is so good at taking it to the basket and absorbing contact, he just needs to keep playing his game and the three point opportunities will come when he is fouled on those takes. 

Perkins has to shoot the 3 to help with driving.  If the defender gives him space driving his harder. Now, the negative is if he drops below 20% a coach will tell the defender to let him shoot it.

Just now, wgstl said:

Perkins has to shoot the 3 to help with driving.  If the defender gives him space driving his harder. Now, the negative is if he drops below 20% a coach will tell the defender to let him shoot it.

We also need him driving to be the guy who gets the majority of the free throws. 

This is in French’s head during the games.

Watch French at the shoot around before every game he sinks most of his attempts and never an air ball and all attempts are close.  I think the air balls are fatigue related French plays balls out every minute. 
Blue font team blue needs to take French back to a happy place before his free throw attempts.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The home crowd doesn't help at all, overreacting to every one of French's makes and misses. I wish people would knock that off.

When Willie Reed sucked at FTs (which looking back was not nearly as bad as French) the student section used to chant quietly "Willie! Willie! Willie!".  I'm not sure that helped or not, but it would be worth a try.  At least it would help down out the groans over his misses.

13 hours ago, Spoonball18 said:

If I’m not mistaken French had a couple of air balls early in the game so I don’t think fatigue was the issue.

Your probably right I am reaching for a cause for the air balls because that never happens on the pre-game shoot around.

Blue font team blue needs to watch Happy Gilmore or Water Boy to learn how to get French’s mind to the right place before he shoots.

I predicted that French’s Conklin summer would produce 60 percent free throw shooting and smart posters laughed and they are right.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Your probably right I am reaching for a cause for the air balls because that never happens on the pre-game shoot around.

Blue font team blue needs to watch Happy Gilmore or Water Boy to learn how to get French’s mind to the right place before he shoots.

I predicted that French’s Conklin summer would produce 60 percent free throw shooting and smart posters laughed and they are right.

I wonder if it’s not so much fatigue as an adrenaline type thing. Something like he has trouble relaxing at the line. I don’t know we could continue to spitball this stupid issue for years.

24 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

I've considered the reaction after the makes as encouragement, not derision.

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s a sarcastic cheer. It’s not good

Completely. It's way louder for French on both makes and misses. It's either a huge cheer - similar to when a crowd cheers a ref after finally giving them a call - or a huge groan. Neither is helpful to a guy clearly in his own head when he's at the line.

Just now, slufanskip said:

It’s technique. Just watch him shoot. I’m sure it’s in his head also but he really needs to begin his entire shot anew in the summer. 

I get what you’re saying but he makes them in practice, that’s not coach speak. It’s in his head that he can’t replicate the form in practice. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It’s technique. Just watch him shoot. I’m sure it’s in his head also but he really needs to begin his entire shot anew in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

French and Goodwin both have similar problems in my eyes. I feel like their free throw technique is ever changing. even throughout games. hard to perfect something when you don’t ever do it the same. 

That's the thing about his technique. What is it? It looks different every time. I couldn't call it a "technique" because it's so inconsistent. His form changes and he misses wide, strong, weak. The arc and force are ever-changing. He's all over the place. It's gotta be a combination of landing on a single method and clearing the noise from his head.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's the thing about his technique. What is it? It looks different every time. I couldn't call it a "technique" because it's so inconsistent. His form changes and he misses wide, strong, weak. The arc and force are ever-changing. He's all over the place. It's gotta be a combination of landing on a single method and clearing the noise from his head.

I agree he is all over the place but the main think I see is he pushes the ball instead of shooting it.