GDT: Arch Baron Cup

johnbj14

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The task at hand is to beat them in Dayton. Pretty sure our guys know they can hang with the Flyers and should have won last night. That will serve them well going forward. Great game. Disappointing? Yes,  but this team is getting better. 

2 ways into the Dance now:

1–Win @ Dayton.

2–Repeat last year in the league tourney.

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Crutcher's game winner was contested.  Toppin screened Jacobs, but Jacobs recovered enough to at least get a hand up, albeit late.  You also can't foul in that situation, as SLU was up by only 1.  

SLU is playing 7 players, due to the losses of Thatch and Jimerson.  Getting out to contest down the 3 was probably not physically easy.  The game plan seemed to be to give Dayton the 3, and for 3/4 of the game, the plan worked.  Dayton was 2-16 on 3's at one point.  Regrettably, Dayton then hit 6 of 6 3's, by 3 different players.

Dayton's back screens last night while our guards were backpedaling were exceptional.  They must have seen in their video preparation that we were susceptible to that.  That one in the final seconds bought Crutcher just enough time to get the shot off.  

26 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

1/250 calculated above doesn’t check out.

1. a 40% 3pt shooter for the season is much better when it’s an uncontested 3.

2. if a shooter has just made 4 3s in a row, he’s still going to make the next one 40% of the time. I’m just saying Ford could’ve easily adjusted after say the 3rd 3. The whole arena knew they were getting hot.

You’re full of crap, obviously you just hate Ford and want an excuse to get rid of him. Ford is doing an outstanding job in my opinion...

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re full of crap, obviously you just hate Ford and want an excuse to get rid of him. Ford is doing an outstanding job in my opinion...

No i love Ford and he’s done a great job with this program and want to keep him around for a long time. Doesn’t mean i can’t think he dropped the ball in the 2nd half. 

Just now, glazedandconfused said:

No i love Ford and he’s done a great job with this program and want to keep him around for a long time. Doesn’t mean i can’t think he dropped the ball in the 2nd half. 

No, it's one or the other. You can't possibly think Ford made mistakes, but that he's overall a huge benefit to the program. 

30 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

2 ways into the Dance now:

1–Win @ Dayton.

2–Repeat last year in the league tourney.

If we're 26-8 by the end of the season (13-5 non-conference, 2-1 in the league tourney), we're in the Dance whether we beat Dayton or not.  26 wins (or 25 wins counting D-1 only) in a very good mid-major league and solid non-conference schedule gets you in.  That was the whole point of getting a bunch of top 150 teams on the non-conference schedule.  So we wouldn't have to play perfect ball to have a chance at an at-large.  Beating a top 10 team on the road would just be the icing on the cake.

Littlebill likes this

56 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I was on the oppite end of the court so I couldn’t see the fouls on Crutcher in OT. Were they legit looked like he flopped

8 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

They were both right in front of me and both were crap, especially the second one on the block. 

I agree. There might have been a little contact but I don’t like the ref bailing out an offensive player.
Crutcher got himself in a terrible position he was in the air, under the basket, with no options. The ref bailed him out. Then the next time down the ref rewarded him for making another boneheaded choice by bailing him out again.

CBFan likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we're 26-8 by the end of the season (13-5 non-conference, 2-1 in the league tourney), we're in the Dance whether we beat Dayton or not.  26 wins in a very good mid-major league and solid non-conference schedule gets you in.  That was the whole point of getting a bunch of top 150 teams on the non-conference schedule.  So we wouldn't have to play perfect ball to have a chance at an at-large.  Beating a top 10 team on the road would just be the icing on the cake.

You are very knowledgeable about the game, but I’m not sure how we get in without UD. Our only Q1 win is against Richmond (who is now down 18 ppg). I assume in your model that the Bills beat both URI and VCU. 

All of our losses are Q1 right now, but we need some quality wins.

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Your assessment is ridiculous... 

Me thinking Ford is a good coach and wanting him to stay with the program while also thinking he could’ve done a better job in the last 7 minutes of the game is ridiculous? Haha ok good point!

I’ve vented enough. Ford still has my confidence just frustrated me with a few of his decisions last night. Still believe this team can be top 3 in conference and be in the discussion for at - large. The team played hard last night and Yuri is coming into his own.

I’m not sure on the rules, but it seems odd to me that a coach and jump in the air, yell time out while doing the big T sign, and it not be called.  Grant did that on the final play.

17 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

The Dukes should lose to Dayton, even at home, but with their defense, they ain't getting run out of any gym.

Please change your name to Dukes fan and stop your charade of just a fan of the A10 with a slight bias towards the Dukes.

Please post how well the Dukes will do on their site not ours.

I could care less about how well the Dukes will play against Dayton with that defense and probably most on this site could care less.

34 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

If Thatch can come back and get some solid minutes I like our chances in Dayton. Would be an even bigger boost to NET than winning in the Fetz. 

I knew it was wishful thinking and I was 99.9% sure it wasn’t going to happen but part of me was hoping Thatch was dressed for the game last night.

No announcement no warning. Just Thatch taking off his warmup and going to check in in front of a sell out crowd.

The place would have gone bonkers.

It would have been like Willis Reed coming out of the tunnel on steroids.

Question about Attendance.

Last night the attendance was 10,007 and listed as a sellout.  It is my belief that Chaifetz holds 10,600.  It is my impression that typically attendance figures are tickets sold, not turnstile.  So for me there is a discrepancy.  Does anyone REALLY KNOW if the 10,007 was tickets sold (and not a sellout) or turnstile?  Or have seats been removed?

Last night was only the 15th largest announced attendance at the Fetz.

7 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Saint Louis Billikens Basketball (1914-present): Where free throw shooting goes to die.

Meanwhile, Ford is 0-5 against ranked opponents since being here. It pains me to say this, but he could be Barry Odom on the hardwood.

I think that’s unfair of Ford (and i’ve been hard on him last night)

He’s turned a bottom tier A10 team (at the end of crews tenure) into a top 4 or 5 team in 3 years.

Won the A10 tourney last year (!!) Has wins over Dayton last year (x2), Davidson last year, VA tech in New York, Seton Hall last year, and i’m sure way more. 

Sure we haven’t beaten a Top 25 team yet, but  we’re clearly a better team and program now than 3 years ago. We will beat a Top 25 team either this year or next year...I’m almost positive of it.