GDT: Arch Baron Cup

johnbj14

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

no i dont think they were. They were only 2-0 going into that game. 

Correct. If you haven’t been to sports reference yet I highly recommend it. I use it a lot when researching for the pod.

Here is VaTech’s page for that season 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/virginia-tech/2018-schedule.html

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, NextYearBill said:

Soooo any stud recruits in the stands to watch that amazing display in their backyard?

I think we've confirmed Nick Kern (2021, Vashon) and Tarris Reed (2022, Chaminade). I was in the opposite corner of the arena from them, but I think they came in about 5-6 minutes into the first half and sat right behind the SLU bench. Not sure if there were any others who came in late with them or if those were friends or family members. Also not sure if any other recruits were already there.

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think we've confirmed Nick Kern (2021, Vashon) and Tarris Reed (2022, Chaminade). I was in the opposite corner of the arena from them, but I think they came in about 5-6 minutes into the first half and sat right behind the SLU bench. Not sure if there were any others who came in late with them or if those were friends or family members. Also not sure if any other recruits were already there.

Kern and Vashon were taking on Oak HIll in Springfield, MO on Friday night.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Kern and Vashon were taking on Oak HIll in Springfield, MO on Friday night.

I stand corrected. I thought someone said that was him in another thread.

There was definitely another player with Reed. I was just too far away to be able to tell who it was.

I've skimmed the GDT and other postgame threads and just want to reiterate because I don't think it's been said enough: The crowd on Friday night was awesome.

I don't think I've experienced a crowd that was louder and more into the game from wire to wire than that one. I don't think that's recency bias, either. Even some of the best games of the Majerus-early Crews era took some time for the crowd to warm up, or had too many people leave early, or whatever. It's hard to sustain that level of engagement from start to finish and I really felt that in there the other night.

People were going nuts for defensive rebounds early in the second half, for example. You just don't see that very often. Seeing the players and fans feed off one another was pretty special, too.

Dayton fans had a good showing, as expected, but you'd have never known they were there until the end if you couldn't see their red shirts.

I was in 102, and we actually had a few losers around us leaving early but the rest of the fans let them have it. I'm all for a public shaming in those circumstances. We also had a guy in a throwback Dayton jersey yelling at SLU fans as we exited. If I had the powers of the Force, he would no longer be with us.

Anyway, great job by the school, the AD, the students, and the community. That showing was all we could ask for on a nationally televised game against our rival in bad weather - until the knife in the heart at the end. I'd like to think we could keep it going but the next game is against Fordham.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

My seats are in 102 so I was there also.  I heard and saw the guy in the Dayton jersey mouthing off after the game.  This dipsh#t was actually somewhat getting in the faces of older Billiken fans walking up the steps.  I yelled at him, think I dropped and F Bomb on him, and waited for a response.  He quieted down.  If he had responded to me, it probably would have been on, because I was not in the proper mood for rational thought at that moment.

I also saw the folks leaving early.  Crazy.  Any chance you were sitting with two other guys on the aisle in Row Q?

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

My seats are in 102 so I was there also.  I heard and saw the guy in the Dayton jersey mouthing off after the game.  This dipsh#t was actually somewhat getting in the faces of older Billiken fans walking up the steps.  I yelled at him, think I dropped and F Bomb on him, and waited for a response.  He quieted down.  If he had responded to me, it probably would have been on, because I was not in the proper mood for rational thought at that moment.

I also saw the folks leaving early.  Crazy.  Any chance you were sitting with two other guys on the aisle in Row Q?

I was with three other guys. I was the one on the aisle in the Cardinals road cap. I don't remember the row but I think I have the ticket stub at home.

Edit: Confirmed, that was us in row Q.

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

I was with three other guys. I was the one on the aisle in the Cardinals road cap. I don't remember the row but I think I have the ticket stub at home.

Edit: Confirmed, that was us in row Q.

I was the guy with his wife right in front of you on the aisle in Row P.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was the guy with his wife right in front of you on the aisle in Row P.

Wow - nice to have met you, kind of.

For the record, I was at dinner with my family before the game. The three guys next to me went to a whiskey bar and were on their second beer at the arena without having eaten anything. I hope their behavior didn't bother you guys.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Wow - nice to have met you, kind of.

For the record, I was at dinner with my family before the game. The three guys next to me went to a whiskey bar and were on their second beer at the arena without having eaten anything. I hope their behavior didn't bother you guys.

Ha. He sat behind me for like 5 years, Crews years.