GDT: Arch Baron Cup

johnbj14

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

agreed.  Jacobs had no idea, and if he did, he wouldnt have bounced off like that leaving the shooter that open. 

I edited my post. The error there is actually on French and Jacobs. French should have been yelling and Jacobs has to know it's probable he's going to run into a screen. 

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Hopefully our guys go to their place pissed off, just waiting for a rematch. Next years team will be a top 25 team no doubt in my mind.

out of reactions, good post.  i agree, we'll hit top 25 next year.  i just want the tourney bad for french and goodwin again THIS YEAR.

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I edited my post. The error there is actually on French and Jacobs. French should have been yelling and Jacobs has to know it's probable he's going to run into a screen. 

It was really loud in there - doubt it would have been heard if he did 

31 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

That's poorly played by French. Jacobs has to know the screen is there and it's clear he doesn't. I don't care whether we switch off screens normally or not, there isn't time for him to pass to French's man and get a shot off. French should have closed much quicker on the shooter and he possibly blocks it if he plays it correctly. 

Our guys were backpedaling into screens all night.  VCU must have picked up our tendency in their video preparation.  That last screen was set literally a second before Jacobs got there.  Even if Has had called it out a half second after the screen was set, it would have been too late for Jacobs, going at full speed, to adjust.

1 hour ago, slusam said:

Watched a replay. Last play you can't be to aggressive because you dont want to foul. Jacob's got knocked off  balance on a back pick by Toppin. The kid made a big shot.

The three minute stretch of made 3 pointers. First was made because for the first time all game Jordan wasn't able to fight through a screen. Two made by Toppins with Bell playing off him. One Bell and French both were guarding Toppin and left Landers open and one French didn't close out on Watson. Nothing to do with coaching.

We played the 6th ranked team to the last shot. I think Dayton is better than Auburn.

I think the two best teams we played this year are Dayton and Seton Hall.

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our guys were backpedaling into screens all night.  VCU must have picked up our tendency in their video preparation.  That last screen was set literally a second before Jacobs got there.  Even if Has had called it out a half second after the screen was set, it would have been too late for Jacobs, going at full speed, to adjust.

I just watched again. There was time and he's actually angled wrong, plus he has to be aware. However, I will say the bigger error was French. He was caught in no man's land at that point he didn't need to stay with Obi. He should have closed on the shooter. In their defense, it's 6 seconds and tough to be perfect right there. Players make plays. It's basketball

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

In the first half Obi set 2 moving screens besides the one he got called for. He took an extra qtr step and stuck his hip out as the defender was going by. One of them was on Yuri's 2nd foul where the guy hit the shot from the elbow. 

Of all the missed calls last night, the almost carte blanche the officials gave Toppin all night on moving screens was disgusting. He looked like an offensive tackle clearing out the key. Only one whistle. Could have been called a couple dozen times.

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

The task at hand is to beat them in Dayton. Pretty sure our guys know they can hang with the Flyers and should have won last night. That will serve them well going forward. Great game. Disappointing? Yes,  but this team is getting better. 

Good post!

bauman likes this

My game day posts. 2nd half

The 2nd Obi moving screen in the 1st half was at the 9 min mark on Hightower. Near the left elbow almost the same spot as the one on Yuri. It's not close and shouldn't be missed. 

Besides the end of game the Bills ran into 2 more backscreens that they apparently didn't know were there. Collins went down hard. 

What a sequence by Yuri at the 12:50 mark of the 2nd half. He knocks the ball away from his man, scrambles to get the loose ball, attacks the basket and gets fouled (though none called), French recovers loose ball for rebound, passes to Yuri who hits a cutting Perkins with a sweet pass. 

Goodwin's board (he walked after coming down was amazing) Just watch that board and you see why he is the best rebounding guard in the country

I think I was the 1st with the Iceman comp for Perkins and it really fits

6 - 3's  1.- Dayton player came off screen on inbounds and hit a moving 3 after JG got screened. 2.- Another moving screen by Obi on Collins (watch this one again, he actually steps into Collins to set the screen after setting the 1st screen.   So far no one is sagging off the shooter and just giving up open looks. 3. Just a poor defensive play by French. Completely got faked out of his shorts. Not the defensive strategy, but the defensive player. 4. Bell on Toppin (who despite being called a great shooter by the announcers is not) He was at 33% coming into the game. Bell has to give him space out there or he gets beat to the hole. As of the 4th 3, not sure why anyone can blame the strategy or what anyone would have done differently. 5. Either Bell or French can't tell who had him just left him open sagging on the driver (who got in the lane off another moving screen by Obi. Guarantee this wasn't a defense that was supposed to give him that much space just poorly played as 3 guys all took the guy driving to help JG. However, JG doesn't need help without Obi and the moving screen. Yuri got caught on 2 guys at the 3 line but not sure why he dropped away from the shooter after the pass to prevent the pass to his man. He has to close on the shooter there though I doubt he gets close enough to disrupt. 6. Obi again frees up the ball handler with a moving screen (though probably his least egregious of the 6 or 7 he did.) Bell has to drop off to help on the drive and no one else rotates over to Obi.  I'm curious after watching the 6 straight 3's what people think Ford should have done differently? Maybe someone else on Obi? Obi averages one 3 per game, except for French he dominates everyone else down low. I'd rather make a mediocre 3 point shooter make the 3 and both of his should have had fouls called on the play. 

Obi's moving screens aren't me just complaining. They are obvious and clear violations that should be called every time. Watching the 6th one again Obi sets a screen with the ball handler moving left to right. He gives up the screen then clearly extends 2 hands and pushes JG to the right when the ball handler cuts back left. He then sets another screen and moves to prevent JG who is now scrambling to catch back up after the push. This moving screen frees the ball handler to turn the corner and drive baseline (where he has an easy layup) Bell correctly helps and forces the kick out to Obi who hits the 3. Bell actually stops the drive at the baseline and is still the one closing on Obi at the 3 point line on the shot. Either French or Perkins has to leave their man across court and rotate to Obi or JG needed to switch to Obi after Bell picked up his man. Don't know how they coach that but one of the 2 has to happen. That's not coaching as I'm sure they are instructed one way or the other. 

Notice on the defensive possession where Yuri's guarding the guy who loses the ball out of bounds. Yuri has a back screen set right before that, knows that it's there and avoids it to stay with his man. As he gets more experience he's going to be a ridiculously good on ball defender. 

Obi fouls JG on the shot with 7 left in regulation. In OT Obi moves again with a little over 4 left on the play where JG taps it forward to French. 

Nice play by THJ to recognize the mismatch with Yuri on Obi and come help. 

On the last 3, it may have been the only properly set screen by Obi on the night. I'll reemphasize my statement earlier. Jacobs should be positioned with his butt facing the far defensive corner. If he was he see's the screen and stops the shooter from cutting to the top of the key forcing him right where he has French ready to help if he goes right of the screen and he's positioned correctly if he cuts back left (which he did) French also has to switch and close much faster after the screen. 

Overall I'd call it a very good game by the Bills. 

Obi is one whinny *****. If he's the best player in the country it's a sad year for great players. 

Bills_06 likes this

What did everybody think about the screen that sent Collins to the locker-room?

It might have been my homerism coming through but I was pretty sure the guy threw his shoulder into Collins jaw.

Im not upset about the refs missing/not calling it that’s a thought call to make but from my seats I thought it might have been a little dirty.

I know this is a mighty hypocritical post because I consider the Conklin screen one of my favorite Billiken moments.

18 hours ago, jimbofive said:

out of reactions, good post.  i agree, we'll hit top 25 next year.  i just want the tourney bad for french and goodwin again THIS YEAR.

but imagine their hunger if they miss it...

skip, obi's behavior was kitten like compared to crutcher.   crutcher was a JO supreme.  mouthing off constantly and talking trash with the billikens.  that is a thug b!tch if i ever saw one.   i give him the 2020 A10 a-hole of the year.  

bauman likes this

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip, obi's behavior was kitten like compared to crutcher.   crutcher was a JO supreme.  mouthing off constantly and talking trash with the billikens.  that is a thug b!tch if i ever saw one.   i give him the 2020 A10 a-hole of the year.  

I would love for a player like Crutcher on this roster

On 1/17/2020 at 5:34 PM, SluSignGuy said:

I am probably an idiot, but what is with the 18 theme at the game (e.g. Rally towels) 

Not sure if anyone else already addressed this, but the University was founded in 1818.  That’s my guess as to why they used 18.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

#yikes

I care absolutely nothing about trash talking.  Zero.  Some of my favorite players were disrespectful trash talkers.  My least favorite players are cheap shot artists -- guys who throw elbows above the shoulders, commit hard fouls after the player is airborne, etc.  That kind of play can end an opponent's career.

slufanskip likes this