GDT: Arch Baron Cup

johnbj14

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

THEY WERE IN MAN!!!!!!

why is there no accountability on the part of players? ????

Our defense got lazy. Game plan Was fine - didn’t like Bell in there but other than that it was fine. The Toppin thing is fine since he didn’t beat us. Hindsight being 20/20

We let them shoot while we sagged off. It’s not that complicated. Blame Ford all you want if that’s how you need to cope. But you’re wrong or just don’t understand what’s going on on the floor 

“but you’re wrong” compelling point haha

but thank you for agreeing Ford leaving Bell in was a mistake.

Unbelievably stupid

i honestly can’t believe there are people on here as stupid as this.

thats worse than believing the deep state exists

Good point. spoken like someone who is not MAD and has sound points

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Ford blew this one.  I'm not saying fire him, but their is nothing wrong with admitting a loss is on the coach.  This one was.  We were in complete control of this game and he was outcoached down the stretch.

I would never say people can't criticize Ford but in every GDT of a game we lose, the loss it is on Ford.  It is like the other team/coach/our players don't have a say in it.  It is just becoming a lazy take after every loss.  

Just now, glazedandconfused said:

“but you’re wrong” compelling point haha

but thank you for agreeing Ford leaving Bell in was a mistake.

Good point. spoken like someone who is not MAD and has sound points

We just disagree, what more is there to say? I think your point is misguided and I said so. That’s it. I think you’re wrong, there’s not more to it - there are no more “points” to make

We just disagree, what more is there to say? I think your point is misguided and I said so. That’s it. I think you’re wrong, there’s not more to it - there are no more “points” to make

Well we both agreed Ford made a mistake by leaving Bell in too long during the 2nd half run by Dayton. So you think my point isn’t misguided. So agreed on that. 

For real though. We played a hard fought game. Demarius Freakin Jacobs stopped Toppin multiple times in the first half. Not sure how. Luck? Idk. I do know that Yuri iced that with six seconds to go like a damn boss and we lost on a prayer. On to Davidson.

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

We had the 13th best team in the country on the ropes with 6 seconds left despite turning the ball over, getting destroyed on back screens and of course, missing free throws.  I hope the guys understand how close they are to greatness.  Don't run away from the pain of this loss.  Embrace it and get better. 

Bingo! My sentiments exactly.

31 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Ford only made 2 actual mistakes.  The Bell guarding wings thing, and not ordering drives right at Toppin to foul him out.  Otherwise his game plan was pure.  We needed Fred to defend those perimeter shots.  Yuri grew up a lot more again and played mostly well. Perkins can fill it up but the D and sloppy play is bad.   We just have to pound all the crap teams in this league and somehow pull one out up in Dayton..or at the least have that be our only other loss.  Cant slip up to Davidson, URI, Bonnies etc

I am also not as down on the coaching... But a timeout should have been called before the jump ball where French had no where to go

Also randomly... Our team sometimes struggles sometimes knowing who should inbound the ball.  Goodwin often ends up inbounding to Yuri when it would be better to have both Yuri and Goodwin on the court to receive the ball

7 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Ford can only call a timeout during live action in last 2 minutes of 2nd half or OT. Someone, French or another player, should’ve called it for sure though.

Gotcha. 

Game is also Sportscenters college game of the year so far 

2 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Yes,  that literally was the turning point of the whole game

We also got lucky that French's 3rd foul early in the second half did not cost us much.  

Ford, however, did appear to let Hargrove have it for not being the one to foul towards near the very end of the second half (to send Dayton to the line to stop the clock), as Goodwin then had to commit the foul - getting his fourth.

I think it's time to step back and put this game in perspective.  If we have Jimerson we win. If we have a healthy Thatch, we win.

We played 3 freshman for significant minutes and played a highly rated team even for regulation and overtime.  If that last low percentage 3 misses, this board would be celebrating. 

Yuri plays like a veteran, though he has some freshman moments.  Hargrove and Bell play like freshman, they have some great moments and other times when they look lost or lack confidence.  Sadly we lost Jimerson who was also playing like a veteran and stretched the floor which really helped our inside game.

On the bright side, Our freshmen hit some high pressure FTs down the stretch. Hopefully Hargrove and Bell will continue to improve.  

We played like a tournament team last night, even though we didn't get the W. Our next challenge is to play like a tournament team against non-tournament teams.  

dennis_w and drkelsey55 like this

Some of you may not be in the mood to read this post from a fan who had no dog in last night's fight, but that was a really entertaining game from my perspective. I watched the whole game.

These 2 teams really showcased the league.  Sorry to see your team come up on the short end in a real heart-breaker. 

It was interesting to read the 2 fan-bases respective message boards during the game.

Here's a link to one of the boards that Dayton has https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33798.

Despite the Bills loss to Dayton, I still believe they have a realistic shot at the NCAA.  

Teams like SLU,  Duquesne, VCU, Richmond and Rhode Island just can't afford to lose to the bottom-feeders in the league like GW, Fordham, UMass and St. Joe.

I know a lot of the Duquesne fans were pulling for Dayton because they are really looking forward to the Jan, 29 game at Duquesne and they want Dayton to be in the Top 10.  I wasn't looking at last night's game that way.

It will be interesting to see if the Dukes get any where close to 10,000 fans for their home game with Dayton.  I'd be happy if 5,000 to 6,000 show up as long as half of them aren't Dayton fans. (They travel well to Pittsburgh for Saturday games in Pittsburgh. Luckily, this is a Wed. game).

I was at the DU-Fordham game at PPG Paints Arena the other day and only 2300 showed up. It was only the 2nd game of the season for them at a venue within walking distance of the campus on an evening with perfect weather conditions so that was a disappointing turnout for a team having its best season in 49 years.

Good luck to your team the rest of the way.  

I believe 4  teams from the A-10  will make it this year and 2 of them should be SLU and the Dukes if the rest of the schedule plays out like it should.  

By the way, SLU's loss AT Duquesne was not a "bad loss" like some have claimed.

majerus mojo likes this

18 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Some of you may not be in the mood to read this post from a fan who had no dog in last night's fight, but that was a really entertaining game from my perspective. I watched the whole game.

These 2 teams really showcased the league.  Sorry to see your team come up on the short end in a real heart-breaker. 

It was interesting to read the 2 fan-bases respective message boards during the game.

Here's a link to one of the boards that Dayton has https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33798.

Despite the Bills loss to Dayton, I still believe they have a realistic shot at the NCAA.  

Teams like SLU,  Duquesne, VCU, Richmond and Rhode Island just can't afford to lose to the bottom-feeders in the league like GW, Fordham, UMass and St. Joe.

I know a lot of the Duquesne fans were pulling for Dayton because they are really looking forward to the Jan, 29 game at Duquesne and they want Dayton to be in the Top 10.  I wasn't looking at last night's game that way.

It will be interesting to see if the Dukes get any where close to 10,000 fans for their home game with Dayton.  I'd be happy if 5,000 to 6,000 show up as long as half of them aren't Dayton fans. (They travel well to Pittsburgh for Saturday games in Pittsburgh. Luckily, this is a Wed. game).

I was at the DU-Fordham game at PPG Paints Arena the other day and only 2300 showed up. It was only the 2nd game of the season for them at a venue within walking distance of the campus on an evening with perfect weather conditions so that was a disappointing turnout for a team having its best season in 49 years.

Good luck to your team the rest of the way.  

I believe 4  teams from the A-10  will make it this year and 2 of them should be SLU and the Dukes if the rest of the schedule plays out like it should.  

By the way, SLU's loss AT Duquesne was not a "bad loss" like some have claimed.

It was a great game. I was the one that said Duquesne was a bad loss, and it was more in how SLU played that night. It probably doesn’t show up in a resume as a bad loss in March though.

I think our at-large hopes took a huge hit while Dayton proved that they are elite again this year.

Still processing the loss. Not putting it on Ford although an adjustment was needed when they were hitting 3s.  I would have pressured the ball on the last play and try to force it out of Crutcher’s hands.  Anything to force someone other than Crutcher or Watson to hit a shot. But hindsight is 20/20.

good stuff by Jacobs on offense tonight.  Keep being aggressive.

i thought bell did a decent job in his first big A10 game. The missed bunnies hurt though.  Also, I was hoping we’d get it to bell more in the first half to force Obi into tough situations.  

Has and JGood did what they do. Warriors. 

Perkins really is a spark. Really like his game. 

Damn, we miss Thatch and Jimerson.

yuri...stud in the making. He’s only a friggin freshman! 

Bummed, but not upset. We are who we are. Not gonna talk about the missed FTs. But the missed bunnies killed us!

love this team. We’re lucky to have Coach Ford and his staff, even if we think they’re not perfect.

great job by the fans and students. 

We can still make the tourney! 

2 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

It was a great game. I was the one that said Duquesne was a bad loss, and it was more in how SLU played that night. It probably doesn’t show up in a resume as a bad loss in March though.

I think our at-large hopes took a huge hit while Dayton proved that they are elite again this year.

Keep playing like we did last night with a few more made bunnies and we’ll be dancing.