GDT: Arch Baron Cup

johnbj14

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don’t f’ing get it. I don’t think Ford is Majerus in the bench, but it isn’t like we lost by 20 to Fordham. We lost by two in OT to one of the top 10 programs in the country without Thatch and Jimerson.  This isn’t the game to rag on Ford.

People are pissed. May have killed at-large hopes.

That said, Dayton is going a long way in March, and Travis Ford has made SLU much better than the last guy. I do agree this isn’t the game to rip Ford.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the 13th best team in the country on the ropes with 6 seconds left despite turning the ball over, getting destroyed on back screens and of course, missing free throws.  I hope the guys understand how close they are to greatness.  Don't run away from the pain of this loss.  Embrace it and get better. 

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

We had the 13th best team in the country on the ropes with 6 seconds left despite turning the ball over, getting destroyed on back screens and of course, missing free throws.  I hope the guys understand how close they are to greatness.  Don't run away from the pain of this loss.  Embrace it and get better. 

This

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And without arguably our best defensive player and offensive player. This team will be special next season 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don’t f’ing get it. I don’t think Ford is Majerus in the bench, but it isn’t like we lost by 20 to Fordham. We lost by two in OT to one of the top 10 programs in the country without Thatch and Jimerson.  This isn’t the game to rag on Ford.

Pretty much agree as the players really gave it their all, but I'd hope in the time out before Yuri knocked down two pressure FT our HC would have put pressure on the inbound pass.

We actually played pretty good defense until the 6 threes  in a row fall.  That was the game. 

Yes we missed a lot of free throws and that sure didn't help.

But to let down defensively and allow that long range run after playing so well defensively up to that point is just heart breaking.

We should have won

dennis_w likes this

I couldn't believe we were up 8 at half with 3-12 FT shooting and all the missed bunnies.  A credit to our tenacity and defense, and Ford getting them up for the game.

But we were up 13 midway through the second half.  Ended up down as much as 5.  We knew they would make a big run, but I expect that to contain a few broken plays, bad calls, etc.  It was almost exclusively the result of 6 straight three pointers.  I'd just much rather take our chances putting them on the line or making them make plays within 25 feet.

It takes a complete game from a coach to take down a team like Dayton.  I applaud our team's effort, especially down two major players.  Maybe our guys were gassed in the second, but I blame that run on Ford.  Should have been an 18-6 or 20-6 run.  But it was 24-6.  Pissed it away.

As for my sky is falling outlook on the rest of the season - do I think we'll have a good conference season?  Yes?  Do I think we'll beat Dayton with A-10 refs to win the auto-bid?  No.  Do I think the committee will give an at-large bid to a 26-9 team whose signature win is an away game at Richmond?  No.

I just watched a team very favorably in the at-large conversation get that taken away by a probably avoidable 24-6 run in the second half.  I'm frustrated.  I don't see the lack of 3 pt shooting, FT shooting, bench depth and experience holding up enough to get us into the tourney.  And this should have been a tourney year.

It can still happen.  But I'm not counting on it.  I'll enjoy the Ws and not take the Ls too hard.  Like I said.  Surprise me, Billies.  Show me.

RiseAndGrind and Bizziken like this

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We also were up 13 with 7 minutes remaining on the 13th beat team in the country and allowed them to take uncontested 3 after uncontested 3 to get back in the game

That’s what people who are mad at ford are mad about. Not adjusting until we were down.

Good fuoking game. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We aren’t a top 25 team. We are a good team with local guys who will get better as the season goes on and be great come next year. Sit back and enjoy being a Bills fan!!

dlarry likes this

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Im going to go through this tomorrow and I better not see any trashing of Ford. Game was fun. We played good. Fuoker hit a big shot. You move on. 

I am honestly curious if we could ever lose a game without the same 2 or 3 posters just posting how that loss is on Ford.  It is just so predictable.  

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Im going to go through this tomorrow and I better not see any trashing of Ford. Game was fun. We played good. Fuoker hit a big shot. You move on. 

The obsession with not trashing Ford when he clearly fell asleep behind the wheel for the end of regulation is hilarious. Ford had Bell guarding wings in crunch time. That’s beyond idiotic especially when we aren’t even going to him on the offensive end for a mismatch. 

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Exactly Ford can’t shoot free throws for us

By this logic, ford will never be to blame because we are always going to be a bad FT shooting team with JG and HF on the team.

Just now, Bills_06 said:

I am honestly curious if we could ever lose a game without the same 2 or 3 posters just posting how that loss is on Ford.  It is just so predictable.  

In my defense, i’ve never blamed a loss on Ford (started posting this year). Can’t speak for the others though.

8 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

The obsession with not trashing Ford when he clearly fell asleep behind the wheel for the end of regulation is hilarious. Ford had Bell guarding wings in crunch time. That’s beyond idiotic especially when we aren’t even going to him on the offensive end for a mismatch. 

By this logic, ford will never be to blame because we are always going to be a bad FT shooting team with JG and HF on the team.

In my defense, i’ve never blamed a loss on Ford (started posting this year). Can’t speak for the others though.

Do you think Ford wanted them to sag off? Go under screens? Against this team? Jesus man. Some are too stupid for the internet

Bills71 and slufanskip like this

Why can't we criticize Ford????

Fuok this small time thinking. 

Dayton is the Fuoking #5 program in the country with a terrible bench coach who made Ford look like he should be coaching freshman girls at Nerinx Hall.  

No 2nd half adjustments to stop open 3s.  Didn't even call a timeout.

Lets Obi hide on defense late in the game and OT guarding Hargrove.  Attack him.

Doesn't set our defense up on the last play even though we had a timeout.  Jacobs had no idea what to do.  Watch the replay he backpedaled into Obi, ran backwards 3/4 of the way down the court.  Collins ran back to the fuoking baseline!!!  For what, a 5'9 guy to protect the rim.

I don't care about free throws.  We know the team we have, we suck at free throws like other teams suck at rebounding or shooting 3s.  All teams have deficiencies, you have to work through them.  

This game was ours and it could be the difference between making the tourney or not.  

Ford blew this one.  I'm not saying fire him, but their is nothing wrong with admitting a loss is on the coach.  This one was.  We were in complete control of this game and he was outcoached down the stretch.

mrjoelabs likes this

Ford only made 2 actual mistakes.  The Bell guarding wings thing, and not ordering drives right at Toppin to foul him out.  Otherwise his game plan was pure.  We needed Fred to defend those perimeter shots.  Yuri grew up a lot more again and played mostly well. Perkins can fill it up but the D and sloppy play is bad.   We just have to pound all the crap teams in this league and somehow pull one out up in Dayton..or at the least have that be our only other loss.  Cant slip up to Davidson, URI, Bonnies etc

dlarry likes this

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Do you think Ford wanted them to sag off? Go under screens? Against this team? Jesus man. Some are too stupid for the internet

Um yes. So you think all of the players were doing the opposite of what Ford wanted them to do? He wasn’t on the sideline screaming at them. Ford isn’t one to sit quietly if the players aren’t listening. There were no changes after the time out.

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Why can't we criticize Ford????

Fuok this small time thinking. 

Dayton is the Fuoking #5 program in the country with a terrible bench coach who made Ford look like he should be coaching freshman girls at Nerinx Hall.  

No 2nd half adjustments to stop open 3s.  Didn't even call a timeout.

Lets Obi hide on defense late in the game and OT guarding Hargrove.  Attack him.

Doesn't set our defense up on the last play even though we had a timeout.  Jacobs had no idea what to do.  Watch the replay he backpedaled into Obi, ran backwards 3/4 of the way down the court.  Collins ran back to the fuoking baseline!!!  For what, a 5'9 guy to protect the rim.

I don't care about free throws.  We know the team we have, we suck at free throws like other teams suck at rebounding or shooting 3s.  All teams have deficiencies, you have to work through them.  

This game was ours and it could be the difference between making the tourney or not.  

Ford blew this one.  I'm not saying fire him, but their is nothing wrong with admitting a loss is on the coach.  This one was.  We were in complete control of this game and he was outcoached down the stretch.

THEY WERE IN MAN!!!!!!

why is there no accountability on the part of players? ????

Our defense got lazy. Game plan Was fine - didn’t like Bell in there but other than that it was fine. The Toppin thing is fine since he didn’t beat us. Hindsight being 20/20

We let them shoot while we sagged off. It’s not that complicated. Blame Ford all you want if that’s how you need to cope. But you’re wrong or just don’t understand what’s going on on the floor 

4 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Um yes. So you think all of the players were doing the opposite of what Ford wanted them to do? He wasn’t on the sideline screaming at them. Ford isn’t one to sit quietly if the players aren’t listening. There were no changes after the time out.

Unbelievably stupid

i honestly can’t believe there are people on here as stupid as this.

thats worse than believing the deep state exists

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The idiocy in some of y'all. I'm sure Ford game plan was to give up open looks you right. I'mma go get drunk. Peace

Ford routinely yanks players after 1 small mistake.  Calls timeouts regularly to fix small errors on defense.  Dayton hit 6 threes in a row without any adjustments from us or a timeout.  Ford got lost and his inaction let Dayton back in this one.  We were poised to blow them out.  We were up 12 and down 5 in less than 5 minutes.  Crews level dumpster fire coaching there.