johnbj14

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

Complaining about Ford the second we lose is pathetic 

Just told you, I've never once blamed Ford.  Not that he hasn't had questionable games, but to give them that run in the second by just not even trying to get a hand in their face on iso threes is unacceptable.  FTs didn't help, but Ford rolled the dice on that one and lost big.  And trying to take a 33% and 50% FT shooter to the rack every time in OT with whistle-happy refs when Perkins is the only guy consistently getting buckets is a bad call, too.

Perkins should have had 30 and we should have had the W.

3 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Just told you, I've never once blamed Ford.  Not that he hasn't had questionable games, but to give them that run in the second by just not even trying to get a hand in their face on iso threes is unacceptable.  FTs didn't help, but Ford rolled the dice on that one and lost big.  And trying to take a 33% and 50% FT shooter to the rack every time in OT with whistle-happy refs when Perkins is the only guy consistently getting buckets is a bad call, too.

French killed us at the line and with his dumb turnover when he apparently couldn’t move. He played well but god that was horrible 

Perkins should have had 35 at least 

horrible coaching 

1 minute ago, JettFlight5 said:

I pretty much agree. Duquesne was a somewhat bad loss...the two home losses burn.

I think tonight was almost a must win to stay in the hunt for an at large bid. Loved the effort by the Bills but our FT and not as stellar D in the 2nd half did us in. Don't see us beating Dayton at their arena!

13 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Ford lost that game. We are what we are at Free-throws. We have bad free throw shooters. That’s not going to change. Ford not adjusting defensively when they started raining 3s was a joke. it should’ve been French surrounded by 4 wings the entire second half when their big wasn’t in.

8 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

You can’t just write-off, “oh yea we’re the worst FT shooting team in the county. It is what it is.” 

If we were the 300th best team in the NCAA vs. 360th or whatever dead last is, no one is talking about Ford’s coaching. That’s why it’s pathetic. Dayton guy hit an incredible shot. It sucks. 

Perkins has 25 and now it’s Ford’s job to get him 30? Alright. 

BANG! He Got It! likes this

7 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

I couldn’t agree more.  Ford’s teams have never done a good job of denying threes.  This has been truesonve before he was even at SLU.

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

You can’t just write-off, “oh yea we’re the worst FT shooting team in the county. It is what it is.” 

If we were the 300th best team in the NCAA vs. 360th or whatever dead last is, no one is talking about Ford’s coaching. That’s why it’s pathetic. Dayton guy hit an incredible shot. It sucks. 

French and Goodwin are bad Free throw shooters. They are about 2/3rd of the way done with their college careers.  We can’t expect anything else from them. You can complain about it all you want, but we’re gonna be terrible at FT shooting this year and next. 

We can expect coach ford to make a change after maybe the 5th straight wide open 3 for Dayton. 

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

French and Goodwin are bad Free throw shooters. They are about 2/3rd of the way done with their college careers.  We can’t expect anything else from them. You can complain about it all you want, but we’re gonna be terrible at FT shooting this year and next. 

We can expect coach ford to make a change after maybe the 5th straight wide open 3 for Dayton. 

No need to sugar-coat it.

it was 6 straight.

I'm blaming Ford as well.

We weren't ready to defend the last 5 seconds. Guys were confused on assignments. We should have met the ball in the backcourt. We had guys still back pedaling when Crutcher took the game winner. We just had a timeout, defense wasn't set up. That is unexcuseable.

Schasz likes this

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I don't like hero ball any more than the next guy.  Perkins hogs it sometimes.  I called him out earlier in the game for it.  But I'd rather have him and Goodwin working those 15-18 footers from the elbow and French and Goodwin going at the boards like savages then just run French and Goodwin at the lane like hyenas.

Didn't want Perkins to have 30 just for the number.  Could care less.  He was our go-to scorer and his number wasn't called often enough late in the game.

More furious about the 3 or defense than anything.  They hit an uncontested 3, then we hit one or no free throws on the other end.  That snowballs quickly.

1 minute ago, glazedandconfused said:

I’ve accepted we’re historically bad at free throws and that’s why I’m not complaining.  You are.

Ford is down 2 of his best 4 wings for the season (presumably, incl. a pretty good perimeter defender). Sorry his coaching allowed Dayton to go on a run from deep. They’re pretty good. Did his coaching not put us in front to begin with? It’s tiring. 

SLU was supposed to lose by 5-10 points. Ford and the the entire team exceeded expectations against the the #2 team in the nation according to barttovik.com (or if you prefer the #5 [prior to the game] according to kenpom.com). I give Ford credit for how well we did.

Bills71 and David King like this

Dayton came into the game ranked #1 in the country in assists per game. (2nd in adusted offense efficiency) SLU's defense was able to cut that in half. Very impressive. SLU also dominated the glass for much of the game. Offensively despite missing many FT's, SLU made many more than Dayton due to getting there more often.

There were several good things.

The room for improvement: 

The obvious FT's

Two made 3's all game by SLU including one accidentally off of the glass. Three still counts more than two. Dayton made 9, including 6 for 6 at one point late that were not as well contested. They were eventually going to make some.

Bunnies. At one point SLU was 11 for 22 in 5 foot or less shots, trouble finishing near the rim.

Ford repeatedly, smartly went to Perkins to expose the mismatch but he stuck with Goodwin and French as options A & B in late game situations. Would have liked to have seen a dribble drive late by JG to the left instead of fall back jumper, but he did just that on right side to force OT. 

Little things late can make a difference.  Hargrove not doubling in bounds full court, Jacobs final play D, no full court pressure by coach after having success with it. But the opportunity missed to expand the lead was earlier.

17 turnovers is still too many even considering OT. Have to value the basketball. Too many poor interior passes by guards not put in a good position to catch and do something with it.

Still lost by just two in OT to a top flight team. Pretty good.

12 point lead, a little bit of a pattern later in some games.

SLU can defend, can rebound, and do some other things. But it's tough when you make few 3's and half of FT's. Smaller margin for error over 45 minutes.

Bills71 and David King like this