PD Article on Jimmy Bell

HoosierPal

Small sample size alert, but Jimmy is leading the team in win-shares per 40 during conference play, and only trails Goodwin in PER.

He’s really coming along, and doing so much more quickly than anyone had any right to expect.  

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Small sample size alert, but Jimmy is leading the team in win-shares per 40 during conference play, and only trails Goodwin in PER.

He’s really coming along, and doing so much more quickly than anyone had any right to expect.  

The way I see it a really good athlete overlooked because he switched late from football going into basketball.  Also, obviously, way too heavy.  But the clue that he could be a gem of a find; for football he was being looked at as an offensive line by really high level programs.  Offensive linemen must be quick and have really good footwork.  Which is needed in basketball.  Jimmy might be Ford's best "find" in the long-run.

41 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

The way I see it a really good athlete overlooked because he switched late from football going into basketball.  Also, obviously, way too heavy.  But the clue that he could be a gem of a find; for football he was being looked at as an offensive line by really high level programs.  Offensive linemen must be quick and have really good footwork.  Which is needed in basketball.  Jimmy might be Ford's best "find" in the long-run.

You mention footwork. I think he has fabulous footwork for a freshman. His only issue is lack of finishing at the rim. That will change as he gets stronger and takes the contact. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

And … if you can dunk it, do it. There have been times when he missed and easy put in when he could have and imo should have dunked. 

true, but hes turned up the aggressiveness around the rim in recent games.

slufanskip likes this

French broke SLU's freshman blocks record by 8, was second in total rebounds, sixth in rebound average, eighth in FG%, started all 32 games, and played more than 30 MPG. He hasn't slowed down since.

I agree that Bell has a bright future and will show a more significant improvement trajectory, but no one will come on. Not fair to compare the two.

slufanskip and Zink like this

I thought it would be interesting to contrast the progress of this season of Jason Jitoboh vs Jimmy Bell.  You may recall that Jitoboh is a 6, 11 300 pound center who took a visit to Saint Louis prior to Jimmy. And ultimately decided to go to UF, in the SEC. He did what many recruits do, take the offer of the best performing school that offers. As recruits on ESPN, Jimmy a 3 star, scout grade of 79. Jason, 4 star scout grade of 80.  These are remarkably similar recruits.

So how are they doing so far:

Jitoboh - 11 games played. Ave. 4.4 min, 1.5 Pts. .7 Reb.

Bell - 17 games played, Ave. 13.5 min, 4.2 Pts, 3.1 Reb.

Bell's numbers are climbing, as he PLAYS for the Billikens.

Jitoboh's numbers are going no where this year as he SITS for the Gators.  Who knows if he will play more next year.

Jimmy is getting valuable experience, and it should be a lesson for other recruits. There is no way to predict how good these 2 players will be when they finish their college careers, but right now, I would say Jimmy is ahead.

6 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I thought it would be interesting to contrast the progress of this season of Jason Jitoboh vs Jimmy Bell.  You may recall that Jitoboh is a 6, 11 300 pound center who took a visit to Saint Louis prior to Jimmy. And ultimately decided to go to UF, in the SEC. He did what many recruits do, take the offer of the best performing school that offers. As recruits on ESPN, Jimmy a 3 star, scout grade of 79. Jason, 4 star scout grade of 80.  These are remarkably similar recruits.

So how are they doing so far:

Jitoboh - 11 games played. Ave. 4.4 min, 1.5 Pts. .7 Reb.

Bell - 17 games played, Ave. 13.5 min, 4.2 Pts, 3.1 Reb.

Bell's numbers are climbing, as he PLAYS for the Billikens.

Jitoboh's numbers are going no where this year as he SITS for the Gators.  Who knows if he will play more next year.

Jimmy is getting valuable experience, and it should be a lesson for other recruits. There is no way to predict how good these 2 players will be when they finish their college careers, but right now, I would say Jimmy is ahead.

I am not trying to be a wise guy but Jitoboh plays behind Blackshear who was a GT from VT.

Blackshear was probably the most coveted GT big.

No doubt that SLU is better off with Jimmy than Jitoboh, a former tool.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Jimmy's biggest strength may be his desire to succeed. Took a great deal of character and will to go on that diet. If his progress continues, it's not unreasonable to see him in the NBA someday. 

I thought the same thing.  Put it in the bold prediction category, but his shooting touch makes me think it's a possibility.

22 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

If Jimmy Bell continues to improve at the rate he has so far, at some point during his jr or sr year people will say Hassan Who?

I think it is more likely that next season we are saying that Bell and Has are one of the best big man combos in SLU history.  With Bell having more experience and better agility and Has playing the 4 where he will get better looks and an easier defensive assignment.  Look out.

slufanskip and Zink like this

55 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am not trying to be a wise guy but Jitoboh plays behind Blackshear who was a GT from VT.

Blackshear was probably the most coveted GT big.

No doubt that SLU is better off with Jimmy than Jitoboh, a former tool.

That's really the point.  Is it better as a recruit, especially a big with limited playing experience to go to a big school and sit on the bench, waiting your turn behind a player like Blackshear or go to a smaller school and play right away.  There is no guarantee for minutes next year for Jitoboh.  The transfer list is full of players who went to big schools, but didn't get the playing time they had envisioned.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

That's really the point.  Is it better as a recruit, especially a big with limited playing experience to go to a big school and sit on the bench, waiting your turn behind a player like Blackshear or go to a smaller school and play right away.  There is no guarantee for minutes next year for Jitoboh.  The transfer list is full of players who went to big schools, but didn't get the playing time they had envisioned.

Good point I missed it.

Your point is exactly why I think we will land a spring 4 position big.  That recruit would not start but should get 20 minutes a game resting French and Bell so they do not have to play more than 30 minutes.