OT - Blake Francis

Taj79

Is out tonight against Davidson but this is more about the injury.  I don't recall the play being such that it was traumatic and severe.  I though the just got knocked down or was playing it as he had been almost all night.  I am not astute enough to pull any video clips of the contact from the game feed and place them here.  Can anyone else do that?  Is it even doable at all?  I don't even recall which Billiken was involved as I saw it as so minor.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Is out tonight against Davidson but this is more about the injury.  I don't recall the play being such that it was traumatic and severe.  I though the just got knocked down or was playing it as he had been almost all night.  I am not astute enough to pull any video clips of the contact from the game feed and place them here.  Can anyone else do that?  Is it even doable at all?  I don't even recall which Billiken was involved as I saw it as so minor.

Yuri hit him pretty hard as he dove for the ball.

43 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Yuri hit him pretty hard as he dove for the ball.

Definitely hit him hard. I figured it would result in a shoulder separation of one degree or another. Was kind of surprised he was still on the bench at the end of the game. If it was a bad separation, he would've been taken to the locker room. Maybe a grade 1 separation at worst is my guess from watching him in the handshake line.

12 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Definitely hit him hard. I figured it would result in a shoulder separation of one degree or another. Was kind of surprised he was still on the bench at the end of the game. If it was a bad separation, he would've been taken to the locker room. Maybe a grade 1 separation at worst is my guess from watching him in the handshake line.

Yes. Hard contact from Yuri. Clean play. Yuri dove for loose ball. Occurred towards end of game.  ESPN Box score says Fancis played 30  minutes and play by play says he picked up a foul with 3:03 left in game so not much time left in game when it occurred.  He did not move his arm at all afterwards. I could tell he was seriously hurt. Hope it is not as bad as I suspect. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. Hard contact from Yuri. Clean play. Yuri dove for loose ball. Occurred towards end of game.  ESPN Box score says Fancis played 30  minutes and play by play says he picked up a foul with 3:03 left in game so not much time left in game when it occurred.  He did not move his arm at all afterwards. I could tell he was seriously hurt. Hope it is not as bad as I suspect. 

I think it is a point of emphasis this year to call fouls on players who drive on top of guys who are on the floor trying to secure a loose ball.  This is to prevent injuries.  However, in this case Francis was bending over trying to grab the ball and Yuri dove in to get it, so the new point of emphasis doesn't really apply.  If Francis had gone to the floor to get the ball instead of just reaching down, he probably doesn't get hurt and Yuri gets called for a foul.  Just an weird kind of play and very unfortunate for Francis.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think it is a point of emphasis this year to call fouls on players who drive on top of guys who are on the floor trying to secure a loose ball.  This is to prevent injuries.  However, in this case Francis was bending over trying to grab the ball and Yuri dove in to get it, so the new point of emphasis doesn't really apply.  If Francis had gone to the floor to get the ball instead of just reaching down, he probably doesn't get hurt and Yuri gets called for a foul.  Just an weird kind of play and very unfortunate for Francis.

Didn't realize the point of emphasis.   Thanks.

No foul was call on that play, right?

If ESPN is right, then Francis initially got called for a foul before Yuri dove or this scramble happened after the 3:03 time frame.

38 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

If ESPN is right, then Francis initially got called for a foul before Yuri dove or this scramble happened after the 3:03 time frame.

Correct, no foul on the play. It was a hell of a play by Yuri - one of many great hustle plays he made in the second half of that game. 

I hate to see Francis out since it weakens Richmond and can have an effect on our NET.  But if it had to happen to one of our opponents players, it serves him right based on his head-throw-back act whenever a Billiken came within 2 feet.  He reminded me of one of my most-hated Billiken opposing players from the last few years.  I think his name was Robbie Gray, with a cute little hair bun.  Even to a greater degree than Francis, you would have thought he was shot by an AK 47 (?) whenever his pinkie was touched by one of our players.  I know there is a new rule against flopping and I think this acting job should fall under that rule.  Both are intended to mislead the refs into making an incorrect call.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

No foul on Yuri.  I don't think Francis was called for a foul either.  I believe Yuri dove on it and called a TO.

28 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

No foul on Yuri.  I don't think Francis was called for a foul either.  I believe Yuri dove on it and called a TO.

Both players were diving towards the ball coming from different angles. It was not a head on collision and nobody jumped on top of anyone either. The players were coming more from like a 90-100 degree angle and both happened to arrive at the same place at the same time. 

I don’t even think they saw one another as both were focused on the ball. Just a freak play.

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

Both players were diving towards the ball coming from different angles. It was not a head on collision and nobody jumped on top of anyone either. The players were coming more from like a 90-100 degree angle and both happened to arrive at the same place at the same time. 

I don’t even think they saw one another as both were focused on the ball. Just a freak play.

I could be remembering wrong, but I don't think Francis was diving.  The ball bounced/rolled towards him so he leaned over to grab it and Yuri dove in.  I agree that neither player saw the other one / intended to collide.  Both were going for the ball.

Thanks to everyone.  Wow, HP, nice post.  A sternum injury?  That's the breastbone.  I've heard of cracked ribs and all but all the way to the stabilizing plate?  Again, just Wow!  And I've had reconstructive shoulder surgery.  Just did not see that coming.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Thanks to everyone.  Wow, HP, nice post.  A sternum injury?  That's the breastbone.  I've heard of cracked ribs and all but all the way to the stabilizing plate?  Again, just Wow!  And I've had reconstructive shoulder surgery.  Just did not see that coming.

I separated the right side of my rib cage from my sternum when i was in college. One of the more painful injuries I've had. I slept sitting up for about a month and it took about 6 months to heal completely. 

Yes.  From the TV, he appeared to be "holding" his bone at the base of his throat.   As the father of a son who broke his collar bone playing sports, I immediately thought - broken collar bone.  Then he didn't move his arm at all - and had this occurred earlier in the game, then he would have gone to the lock room.   But sternum?  In hindsight, makes sense. 

Again, I wish him well and a speedy and full recovery. 

And yes, our win was a tough and good win as we beat them with him playing 37-38 minutes on their home court.  Others, who get to play them without him in the lineup will have a far easier chance to win. And if they start to lose more and more without him, then our win will be diminished.

Bad news for Richmond. They're extremely top heavy. In addition to Francis being the leading scorer, they get very little production outside the top five - they average almost 75 PPG and only 16 PPG are from the bench.

4-6 weeks means Feb. 15th against VCU is about the earliest he'd return. They have 6 regular season games after that and the A10 Tournament starts March 11th.

20 hours ago, ACE said:

Correct, no foul on the play. It was a hell of a play by Yuri - one of many great hustle plays he made in the second half of that game. 

Ford just talked about what a great play that was in his interview with Bernie.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

He’s out 4-6 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Bad news for Richmond. They're extremely top heavy. In addition to Francis being the leading scorer, they get very little production outside the top five - they average almost 75 PPG and only 16 PPG are from the bench.

4-6 weeks means Feb. 15th against VCU is about the earliest he'd return. They have 6 regular season games after that and the A10 Tournament starts March 11th.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/16/urs-blake-francis-out-several-weeks-with-chest-injury/

Fractured sternum.  Ouch.