Dayton over VCU by 8

The Wiz

I thought since I have to wait on this game before I can do Friday's Bills spread , I would do a spread on this game......An important game for the A-10....an important game for The Bills.  Dayton is an A team....VCU is a B+ team.....If we look at the trending numbers...VCU stays at B+...Dayton moves up to A+....the spread widens to 13 pts in favor of the Flyers.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Wouldn't the Toppin ankle injury affect the trend?

Yes....The headline spread of 8 assumes he is out....The trend spread assumes he plays ...Day by 13.....,If he just partially plays.....8-13 pts Day

Here is the official injury report

Day......

Toppin...F....Questionable.....1/12/20...Left ankle sprain....It is unclear if he will suit up against VCU

C Johnson....F....Out for season...1/10/20....He has medically withdrawn from the team as he recovers from PCS ( post concussion syndrome} and mono

Sissoko...C...Out for  season...11/11/19...He has decided to use this season as a red shirt year.

VCU....

Crowfield...G....Out indefinitely,....12/15/19...Broken wrist...He is expected to miss an undetermined amount of time

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-flyers-vcu-rams-everything-you-need-know-about-tuesday-game/h4K6d6zymrJ88qhcUG0tsL/

Toppin listed as a starter tomorrow in a Dayton Daily News article posted an hour ago.  Just FYI.  He may still be under observation and IN until he is ruled OUT. 

This matches my info that came out about a half hour after I posted the above injury report...Just now having time to post it.......................

1/13/20......Probable...Toppin....F...Left ankle sprain...It is likely he will suit up against VCU

5 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

What's your reasoning?

Dayton can lose to vcu by a ton, and still be a ranked game for SLU, and still an all important game for the Net and Quads. That wont change.  But a VCU win will now give SLU an extra game on schedule to really boost our resume. 

or were you asking for the reasoning behind why I think vcu doesn't stand a chance?

Zink likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

Dayton can lose to vcu by a ton, and still be a ranked game for SLU, and still an all important game for the Net and Quads. That wont change.  But a VCU win will now give SLU an extra game on schedule to really boost our resume. 

Figured it was something along those lines. Just wasn't sure. Part of me wishes for that too. Part of me wants to forget all of that and be the first and only A-10 team to shoot down some Flyers because Chaifetz will feel even better on Friday.

CBFan likes this

7 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Figured it was something along those lines. Just wasn't sure. Part of me wishes for that too. Part of me wants to forget all of that and be the first and only A-10 team to shoot down some Flyers because Chaifetz will feel even better on Friday.

Dont get me wrong, that would be fun too. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

or were you asking for the reasoning behind why I think vcu doesn't stand a chance?

Valid point, but we play Dayton twice so I want them as high as possible.

4 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Valid point, but we play Dayton twice so I want them as high as possible.

trueeee, I just see it as playing 3 really good teams instead of 2 with the 3rd being pretty good. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, The Wiz said:

Yes....The headline spread of 8 assumes he is out....The trend spread assumes he plays ...Day by 13.....,If he just partially plays.....8-13 pts Day

Here is the official injury report

Toppin...F....Questionable.....1/12/20...Left ankle sprain....It is unclear if he will suit up against VCU

Based on the actual spread of 14...it is safe to say he is OK.

VCU is dangerous with their defense, but they're a god-awful team on offense. Two guys can shoot, but seven guys think they can shoot. They don't run good sets. They have terrible ball-handling. They have terrible decision-making. I just don't see them as Top 4; I don't even see them in the 2nd tier.

A-10 tiers:

• LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN: Dayton (until proven otherwise)
  • IN THE RUNNING FOR 2ND FIDDLE: (Richmond, Duquesne, SLU)
  • DANGEROUS BUT DEEPLY FLAWED (VCU, URI, Bonnies)
  • AT LEAST THEY GOT SOME VETS, TALENT, AND WINS (Davidson, Mason, UMass, Lasalle)
  • TERRIBLE TEAMS WE JUST CAN'T LOSE TO (G Washington, St. Joe's, Fordham)

Zink likes this

11 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

VCU is dangerous with their defense, but they're a god-awful team on offense. Two guys can shoot, but seven guys think they can shoot. They don't run good sets. They have terrible ball-handling. They have terrible decision-making. I just don't see them as Top 4; I don't even see them in the 2nd tier.

A-10 tiers:

• AT LEAST THEY GOT SOME VETS, TALENT, AND WINS (Davidson, Mason, UMass, Lasalle)

I'd say Duquesne is 2nd fiddle until proven otherwise and put SLU and Richmond right behind.

I still think VCU is the second-best team. Rhode Island was an upset but they're a top-third or so team in the league, and VCU's other loss is to Dayton. VCU also has arguably the hardest league schedule, with Dayton, Rhody, Mason, Davidson, and Richmond as their home-and-home opponents. Still, I think they take care of Bonaventure at home this weekend and start rolling after that.

Duquesne still has to play at Rhody, at SLU, Dayton twice, Bonaventure twice, at VCU - their schedule was relatively soft to start, like ours last year. (I'm acknowledging their win over SLU as a good one, though.) And they have one of the weakest schedules in conference despite their harder games coming up - they get GW, Fordham, and Joe's twice this season. The three worst teams.

43 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

A-10 tiers:

I would include Davidson, Mason, UMASS and LaSalle in the list of teams we just can't lose to. 

Littlebill likes this