Dayton Hurting

Taj79

Obi Toppin left last night's game just after half with an ankle sprain.  He reappeared later on the bench in a boot.  The current situation is unknown and Dayton has a big one Tuesday night hosting VCU.  Talk amongst the sweater vest crowd is maybe taking Toppin out for the next two games if the ankle is bad to worse.  If it's bad to minor, he'll play Tuesday.  Tuesday's game is on CBSSN.  Ought to bear further interest for us come Friday.  Rationale in Dayton is to preserve a high seed come March and maybe get sent to the Cleveland pod.

Additionally, Chase Johnson, the four-star recruit out of West Virginia via Florida, has medically withdrawn from school.  Another concussion has made the family question if basketball is right for Johnson.  Two concussions at Florida shut him down there his freshman year.  Sounds a lot like Jeff Reid.

And there's my b*tch.  Right on cue.  I own the little fuoker.  How ya' doin', hon?

26 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Let’s say, Toppin is out for the next two games. Dayton squeaks by VCU and then we beat them. Will our good win get downgraded because he was out?  I don’t think so. 

I don’t believe Dayton has released anything on Toppin yet, at least nothing I have seen. When he came back to the bench with the boot he was smiling and joking with the other Flyers.

If his ankle was seriously injured my guess is that he would have stayed in the locker room with ice on it.  Total speculation on my part. He also went through the handshake line. 

We will know more Tuesday. Even if Toppin sits Tuesday doesn’t mean he will sit against us. 

12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Let’s say, Toppin is out for the next two games. Dayton squeaks by VCU and then we beat them. Will our good win get downgraded because he was out?  I don’t think so. 

They should downgrade Dayton's win IF they win.  We're down a Gibber and a Thatchie-Pooh.  Both are starter-level players.

Johnson is the seventh man on a team with a Big 6 - 11.1 MPG, 5.1 PPG. He's a good role player and efficient scorer. Definitely hurts their depth, as they don't have a lot of size behind him.

Dayton should still continue to roll through the A10 if Toppin can come back reasonably quickly, though. Per Jon Rothstein, Grant says Toppin is responding well to treatment and they hope to have him available tomorrow vs. VCU. If not, the positive message makes it seem like he'd be good to go by our game Friday. We should count on him playing.

My initial report was gathered from the MBMs on Dayton's side of the river, so it could be 'fanspeak' as well (similar to 'coachspeak,' right HP?).  It is buttressed by the fact that one source is the team physician emeritus for the Flyers.  I personally have complete faith in the fact that Toppin will play and meet his per game averages against VCU.  I also think the statements are quite galling in that the Dayton crowd still exhibits a "superiority" complex true and true.