GDT Beat the Spahhders

Littlebill

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am going to say this as nicely as I can.  I don't give an flying F about what Toppin deserves.  I want the guy who plays for the team that I have been rooting for since I was in diapers and is from my hometown to win it.  I don't give an S about the kid from Brooklyn that plays for Dayton.  With that said, I am going to lay out the best case for the guy on my team that is averaging a double double as guard while getting 3 assist and 2 steals a game to win CPOY.

Screw Dayton and Toppin.

Exactly. When we beat Dayton twice and Goodwin puts his nuts in Toppins face we will see who deserves CPOY. Screw them. Jimmy gonna shut him down anyway. Ain't nothing for big Jimmy.

brianstl likes this

CGeldmacher, I’m not worried whether you want a pressing defense or not, it matters not to me. I am stating what I see, which is a team missing two starters out for the year, playing three guys who were not with the team last year, starting two players who are new to the team this year, and a third starter who was 10th in minutes last year. Their job is to replace three fifth year seniors.

i saw Ford drop the press like a hot potato in non conference when he saw the disaster as our defense fell apart.

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Okay, well put me down for the opinion that I don't want to play a pressing defense even if we had the guys to play it.  There's a reason that only a handful of college teams use that system.  What sort of success has Mike Anderson had running that defense?  VCU's success with it isn't all that spectacular.  If that system worked as well as some would have us believe, then all teams would be using it.  I'm fine with what we do now.

That's why most of us were dubious about its chance of success when Coach Ford announced it.  He stated on multiple occasions that he wanted to press for 40 minutes.  We don't have Florida State's roster, which is probably the best equipped to press the whole game, and even they don't play that way.  I expected coach to abandon that plan after 10 games.  It was gone in 4. 

Coach Ford is a master marketer of his program.  Maybe running up the score against the weaker part of our schedule was part of a master plan to generate excitement at the start of the season?  If it was, it worked.  The crowds have been increasing all season.  Friday should be a madhouse.

I still like the idea of pressing against weaker non-con opponents next season. I think the higher tempo and increased pressure is a good way to bury teams like High Point or FGCU early. It also lets you play more guys, which could be an issue early in next season. 

53 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I don’t want us to play a pressing defense. We don’t have the number of players, nor the skill level, to play a pressing defense. Our center is not suited for a pressing defense.

I have complimented Ford multiple times for recognizing our player abilities and fashioning an improving defense that has earned this record.

And yes, revisionist does apply to a discussion where the entire context is removed from a sentence. The original thread conversation related to Bell’s ability to remain on the floor in a full court, 40 minute press defense that Ford stated he wanted to play.

We realize he's not the quickest guy on the team. In fact he might be the slowest. However, Heavy tooted troll? Is that the best you can describe him? It's certainly a bit insulting. I would agree with quite a bit of your assessment especially early on, I just wouldn't have insulted him to make a point

i still say pressure defense will pay off in a few easy points.   we have way too many athletes that if the effort is there we can play that way all the time.  turn it up

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i still say pressure defense will pay off in a few easy points.   we have way too many athletes that if the effort is there we can play that way all the time.  turn it up

No doubt. Down 2 possessions w under 3 minutes to go, see what a little press can do

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Okay, well put me down for the opinion that I don't want to play a pressing defense even if we had the guys to play it.  There's a reason that only a handful of college teams use that system.  What sort of success has Mike Anderson had running that defense?  VCU's success with it isn't all that spectacular.  If that system worked as well as some would have us believe, then all teams would be using it.  I'm fine with what we do now.

I'm with you 100%. Imo very few teams can end up scoring more easy buckets than they give up. I like using it here and there, maybe catch a team off guard, etc ...

Sorry you guys think it is insulting. This is a homage to Joe Bonwich, who back in the day carried on a SLU basketball conversation, after a couple beers, replete with trolls guarding the paint with their war clubs, knights doing battle in between, and little blue smurfs scampering around trying to steal the ball.

Whenever we crossed paths, we would discuss whether we had a bridge, rock, or cave troll as our new center. We also bemoaned we always had more smurfs than trolls.

19 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Sorry you guys think it is insulting. This is a homage to Joe Bonwich, who back in the day carried on a SLU basketball conversation, after a couple beers, replete with trolls guarding the paint with their war clubs, knights doing battle in between, and little blue smurfs scampering around trying to steal the ball.

Whenever we crossed paths, we would discuss whether we had a bridge, rock, or cave troll as our new center. We also bemoaned we always had more smurfs than trolls.

Oh, so we were all supposed to know your inside joke. Got it.

27 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

"Sorry you guys think me calling Jimmy Bell a heavy footed troll is insulting"

This being an inside joke doesn't make it any less insulting to JBJ

CBFan likes this

1 minute ago, glazedandconfused said:

"Sorry you guys think me calling Jimmy Bell a heavy footed troll is insulting"

"Most internet users know that calling someone a troll is generally meant as a compliment."

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Saturday night was a friendly reminder of the battle between SLU and st Louis.  Went to 2 different drinking establishments, neither would change the tv's off of the NFL games. 

these same bars were probably putting out signs and posting on facebook about having the game on for the championship of the A10 last spring and will likely do it again next time.   you need to list the bars so we can all put those establishments on our "blacklist".

dlarry likes this

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Saturday night was a friendly reminder of the battle between SLU and st Louis.  Went to 2 different drinking establishments, neither would change the tv's off of the NFL games. 

Did you go to a sports bar?

Ive never bad a problem at a “sports bar” getting them to change  one of their 50 TVs even on big football days.

I have had problems at bars with only a few TVs.  

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Did you go to a sports bar?

Ive never bad a problem at a “sports bar” getting them to change  one of their 50 TVs even on big football days.

I have had problems at bars with only a few TVs.  

One was a brewery, one was a regular bar, neither were "sports bars". both could have changed one tv, they had enough