GDT Beat the Spahhders

Littlebill

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

French's double double average and defensive prowess trumps Kellan's Grady career worst season for an underachieving team, IMO.

Fair. But Kellan Grady's other seasons aren't relevant to current year all-conference teams. If anything, it would give him a boost just based on his name. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Jgood needs to close the ppg gap, which he has started to.  If hes just 1 or 2 off and has almost 4 or 5 more boards per game I think that will be enough.  Like you said,  It'll be tough to convince voters otherwise, they seem to have given it to Toppin early. 

as much as i want to agree with you, if dayton runs away with the conference title they will give POY to toppin imo.    

24 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Agreed. 

My First team as of now first 3 seem to be the "locks" (to the extent you can have locks with 14 games left: 

Obi Toppin

Fatts Russell

Jordan Goodwin

Marcus Weathers

Jacob Gilyard

2nd team:

Blake Francis

Kellan Grady

Ryan Daly

Kyle Lofton

Marcus Santos Silva 

Think Hasahn could easily jump into 2nd team all conference with a solid rest of season.

Gilyard, 1st team? Against SLU, 39 minutes, 1 assist, 2 points, 4 fouls and 5 turnovers.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Gilyard, 1st team? Against SLU, 39 minutes, 1 assist, 2 points, 4 fouls and 5 turnovers.

Unless you are aware of a new rule change put in place this year, I believe they look at all games, not just one. 

Gilyard is averaging 14 pts, 5  assists, 4 reb, 3 stls on 61% from 2 and 39% from 3 and 85% from the FT line. That's really damn good.

Who would you replace him with anyways? Only other option is probably Blake Francis.

Sorry three-star --- we can agree to disagree.  Sure, there are no All A10 bigs or even reserves of that caliber coming off A10 benches and I'm not advocating that.  As noted, I see players playing roles and getting decent stats over replacements.  No one, for example, is coming off any bench to replace Toppin, Goodwin, or Santos-Silva.  My point is that the whole suffers once the individual sub is made.  

Example/rationale:  Ipkeze's numbers overall are inflated by the fact that he had to start for five games in the stretch that Osunniyi went down.  Plus the inury game.  The Bonnies were 2 and 4 in that stretch losing to Ohio, Vermont, Siena and Canisuis in that stretch.  In that stretch, he averaged 6.4 ppg and 5 rpg.  In the ten games since, he's averaged 10 mpg, 2.5 ppg and 3.1 rpg.  He is not, in my estimation, an able replacement for Osunniyi and if i had my druthers, I'd rather see him coming than Osun.  His playing also weakens an already weak bench and deletes one of the Bonnies big three.  With those kinds of numbers, I am all for feeding Ipkeze and taking what comes from that.  

You don't go to sleep on guys like Ipkeze or Planutis or Stallings or Diallo.  But I like our chances so much better if their team is depending on them to win the game.  They are not asked to do that and by asking them to do so, places them in unfamiliar territory and ramps up the mental pressure they will feel.  Will Bobby Planutis beat us?  Tydus Verhoeven did.  

As for the current all A10 team, I like what's listed above but might sub French onto the second team for Grady.  Grady is doing okay but under his standards as I see it and it's a 7 and 8 Davidson team.  Lots of season to go.

48 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

5 dunks from 4 different Billikens yesterday.  And we didn't even get any from Hargrove or Perkins, and we know they can throw down with extreme prejudice.

Guarantee we've never had 4 different guys dunk in a game before.  A Billikens team has never had athletes like this.

I loved that jacobs dunk. Nothing special but i do think it showed his athleticism 

also that was a quiet 11 for him 

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sorry three-star --- we can agree to disagree.  Sure, there are no All A10 bigs or even reserves of that caliber coming off A10 benches and I'm not advocating that.  As noted, I see players playing roles and getting decent stats over replacements.  No one, for example, is coming off any bench to replace Toppin, Goodwin, or Santos-Silva.  My point is that the whole suffers once the individual sub is made.  

Example/rationale:  Ipkeze's numbers overall are inflated by the fact that he had to start for five games in the stretch that Osunniyi went down.  Plus the inury game.  The Bonnies were 2 and 4 in that stretch losing to Ohio, Vermont, Siena and Canisuis in that stretch.  In that stretch, he averaged 6.4 ppg and 5 rpg.  In the ten games since, he's averaged 10 mpg, 2.5 ppg and 3.1 rpg.  He is not, in my estimation, an able replacement for Osunniyi and if i had my druthers, I'd rather see him coming than Osun.  His playing also weakens an already weak bench and deletes one of the Bonnies big three.  With those kinds of numbers, I am all for feeding Ipkeze and taking what comes from that.  

You don't go to sleep on guys like Ipkeze or Planutis or Stallings or Diallo.  But I like our chances so much better if their team is depending on them to win the game.  They are not asked to do that and by asking them to do so, places them in unfamiliar territory and ramps up the mental pressure they will feel.  Will Bobby Planutis beat us?  Tydus Verhoeven did.  

As for the current all A10 team, I like what's listed above but might sub French onto the second team for Grady.  Grady is doing okay but under his standards as I see it and it's a 7 and 8 Davidson team.  Lots of season to go.

If I get what you’re saying, I think it boils down to the 2-5 players on a team that can beat you consistently if you don’t defend properly.  Sure, a reserve could come in and have a career night but that’s not really your focus.

59 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as much as i want to agree with you, if dayton runs away with the conference title they will give POY to toppin imo.    

I will say this for Goodwin, through 3 conference games Goodwin is averaging 2 more ppg and 2.5 more rpg than Toppin.  Goodwin has done that against a much tougher conference schedule than Toppin has faced so far.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I will say this for Goodwin, through 3 conference games Goodwin is averaging 2 more ppg and 2.5 more rpg than Toppin.  Goodwin has done that against a much tougher conference schedule than Toppin has faced so far.

Hate to have to stan for Obi so much but his numbers in conference so far are ridiculous....he's widening the gap on everyone else. He's shooting 71% from the field and 83% from 2 and 91% from the FT line. Jordan only has more ppg and rpg because he has played significantly more minutes than Obi due to Dayton blowing out all their opponents. That being said...Jordan is still playing really well!

Per 100 possessions in conference:

Toppin:

41.4 PTs/13 Reb/6.5 Asst/5.7 stls (on 83% from 2...20% from 3 91% from FT line)

Goodwin:

27.5 pts/11 Reb/2.9 Asst/3.6 stls (on 55% from 2...38% from 3....59% from FT line)

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Agreed. 

My First team as of now first 3 seem to be the "locks" (to the extent you can have locks with 14 games left: 

Obi Toppin

Fatts Russell

Jordan Goodwin

Marcus Weathers

Jacob Gilyard

2nd team:

Blake Francis

Kellan Grady

Ryan Daly

Kyle Lofton

Marcus Santos Silva 

Think Hasahn could easily jump into 2nd team all conference with a solid rest of season.

I think I'd swap Daly for Gilyard but otherwise am in agreement with you. Toppin is POY, hands down. Goodwin has a strong argument for runner-up, as does Russell.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think I'd swap Daly for Gilyard but otherwise am in agreement with you. Toppin is POY, hands down. Goodwin has a strong argument for runner-up, as does Russell.

i too love daly.   my kind of player.   his effort saturday capped off by his likely espy award regulation three was fantastic.  

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Goodwin's best chance at A10 POY is if we win the conference regular season. If Dayton wins the regular season crown, Obi will win even if Goodwin beats him in statistical categories. 

While I would be ecstatic if Goodwin wins, my guess is that Bernadette already has Toppin's name engraved on the POY plaque.

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Interesting that Collins was sniffing a triple-double

His second half was outstanding. So many outstanding little things that added up. Found French on a long pass down court which seemed to spark the comeback. A big offensive rebound and dish to French. Falling out of bounds and firing a pass up ahead to Goodwin for a dunk. A fast break and dish to Bell for a dunk. And late in the game, pounced on a loose ball to win that battle and help seal the victory. 

23 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Dennis, I promise to stop calling him a heavy footed troll when he gets more dunks in a game than French.

You, amongst others, like to play revisionist historians. At the beginning of the season, we were going to play a rooting, tooting 40 minutes of hell pressing defense, and Ford tabbed Bell as the starting center. In that context, I stated there was no way Bell could make it up and down the court. He still is no Arthur Miller, or  Johnson, but he is a developing Bell.

Turned out the team had no concept of how to play an extended pressing D well, nor could they truncate down and cover the 3 pt line, nor could they(at that time) stop on the ball penetration. Thus ended the 40 minutes of hell.

We are 14-3 and coming off of a big win against a Q1 opponent, and you're upset that we aren't playing a different style?  Your disappointment about this extends so far that you have to put down a freshman big coming off one of his best games and who is looking like an outstanding player in the future.  I don't think the team doesn't know how to play "extended pressing D well."  I think that's not the system that gets us to a 14-3 record.  Why are you so desperate to copy VCU's game?  I would rather play Coach Ford's game with these players we have now.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

23 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

1. Dennis, I promise to stop calling him a heavy footed troll when he gets more dunks in a game than French.

2. You, amongst others, like to play revisionist historians. At the beginning of the season, we were going to play a rooting, tooting 40 minutes of hell pressing defense.....

1. Based on that logic, there's probably about 2 or 3 guys in the A10 that are not "heavy footed trolls" haha. And even Hasahn is border-line heavy footed troll. 

2. "revisionist historians"      "rooting, tooting 40 minutes of hell pressing defense"

I don’t want us to play a pressing defense. We don’t have the number of players, nor the skill level, to play a pressing defense. Our center is not suited for a pressing defense.

I have complimented Ford multiple times for recognizing our player abilities and fashioning an improving defense that has earned this record.

And yes, revisionist does apply to a discussion where the entire context is removed from a sentence. The original thread conversation related to Bell’s ability to remain on the floor in a full court, 40 minute press defense that Ford stated he wanted to play.

3 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Toppin will win POY and he fully deserves it.  He is averaging almost 20 PPG and is shooting 63% from the field (71.4% from 2) 33% from 3 and 70% from the line. He's just a significantly better player than anyone else in the A10.

However, JGood has a legit chance at First Team A-10... if he keeps his numbers where they are at and SLU finishes top 4....he'll probably make it.

Next year is the year Goodwin will make a run at A10 POY...and could easily be pre-season POY. 

I am going to say this as nicely as I can.  I don't give an flying F about what Toppin deserves.  I want the guy who plays for the team that I have been rooting for since I was in diapers and is from my hometown to win it.  I don't give an S about the kid from Brooklyn that plays for Dayton.  With that said, I am going to lay out the best case for the guy on my team that is averaging a double double as guard while getting 3 assist and 2 steals a game to win CPOY.

Screw Dayton and Toppin.

4 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I don’t want us to play a pressing defense. We don’t have the number of players, nor the skill level, to play a pressing defense. Our center is not suited for a pressing defense.

I have complimented Ford multiple times for recognizing our player abilities and fashioning an improving defense that has earned this record.

You should just stop and admit you misjudged Jimmy Bell, that said, you should get the credit for him now  being known as the LOCOMOTIVE!

6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Okay, well put me down for the opinion that I don't want to play a pressing defense even if we had the guys to play it.  There's a reason that only a handful of college teams use that system.  What sort of success has Mike Anderson had running that defense?  VCU's success with it isn't all that spectacular.  If that system worked as well as some would have us believe, then all teams would be using it.  I'm fine with what we do now.

slufanskip likes this