GDT Beat the Spahhders

Littlebill

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yep.   Anyone have any further updates on his weight loss?   Such a long season, all those long practices.... probably hard not to keep losing weight - though this offseason will be his chance to focus not only on weight loss but on total fitness including increased speed, jumping, strength and quickness.

Discussed Wed in the 'How Will Jimmy Bell Do' thread. 

He wants to lose 5 more pounds down to 280 this season and then 10 to 15 over the summer.  He is 6'10" and is still growing.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Had 'grand pa' duties yesterday and had to DVR and watch this morning.  Felt pretty good going in (as I did with Duquesne) and felt a win, clicking on all cylinders, was possible.  Thrilled today --- this is #1 but the silence of all Ravens fans is a close #2.  Lamar Jackson is great provided he's winning.  Otherwise his true QB skills are lacking. 

Just some observations:  Jordan Goodwin remains a monster.  Had 26 and 9 per ESPN and was great in doing it.  I thought it would be a long night with that first foul 1:33 into the game.  But not a factor.  We got the game here via MASN, the Orioles/Nats network so we too were stuck with the Richmond announcers.  The color guy Greg Beckwith (never heard of him) was Richmond's all-time leading steal leader until Gilyard passed him in second half.  Gilyard was given a steal on a deflection; I didn't know you counted them that way.

Jimmy Bell was huge.  In hindsight, it worked out well with Bell and French on Cato and Golden.  Despite chewing us up twice last year, Golden has been nothing really special this year.  It's been more the Blake Francis show.  Francis is my new pain in the *ss player.  Every time he runs by someone he tosses his head back like someone hit him.  And they called that much too much for my liking.  I am all for ignoring that call unless blood shows up or an eyeball rolls across the floor.    

I said early on that Richmond was a five man team and if you eliminate three back doors by Gustavson (he burned Jacobs twice and Hargrove once), their bench contributed 5 points.  Add to that Cayo's four and Gilyard's 2, I can't wait to see what the puke on A10 Talk has to say about the vaunted Spah-ders.  We need more of you to go over to A10 Talk  and tell Austin Daisey and Anthony Morelli and the editors over there that there is more to the league than afterthought teams like Richmond and St. Joe's. 

Anybody know how much time Collins spent on Gilyard?  Because if that was all Yuri, man what a shutdown.  And the mantra is never foul a jump shooter so those clowns on the broadcast calling for more than 9 free throws are idiots.  Case closed.

Down the stretch, we knew who needed to have the ball to make the close out free throws.  We are learning.  For not scoring, Hasahn was key as he played both Cayo and Golden tough when they tried to venture into the paint.  Ditto Big Jimmy.  Perkins was Perkins and I'm very happy to have another Demarius Jacobs sighting as we evolve the season more.  Collins line:  8 rebounds, seven assists, seven points and only two TOs.  Plus that defense.

In case you missed it, the blog hack on A10 Talk, Daisey, went with this yesterday "The Spiders will improve to 13-3 and 3-0 in the conference due to another good shooting game from Blake Francis.  Nick Sherod will keep his hot streak going knocking down a couple of key 3’s for Richmond, as well as Nathan Cayo having another breakout game.  My final score prediction is Richmond 76 – Saint Louis 70."  His come-uppance report on the loss was factual, to say the least.

Richmond is soft.

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Don't forget TJ. I don't know why he got so few minutes tonite as we were pushing it which seems suited to his style. It must be a D issue. 

TJ got beat back door and Ford immediately yanked him. Fords leash with TJ is shorter than I like but what the hell it was our best game to date. 

15 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Has anyone else noticed that Jordan keeps his guide hand on the front of the ball on free throws and not on the side like shooters tend to preach? I’ve never noticed it before tonight, but it is different than his regular shooting form. 

Additionally, based on his setup he looks left handed. I think he should shift to his left on the free throw line by about two feet.

IMG_20200111_182247.jpg

1 minute ago, RamJAMTIME said:

Additionally, based on his setup he looks left handed. I think he should shift to his left on the free throw line by about two feet.

IMG_20200111_182247.jpg

I think he moved to the right 3 or 4 games ago. Don’t have the numbers but I think his make percentages has improved. 

3 minutes ago, RamJAMTIME said:

IMG_20200111_182247.jpg

Noticed the same thing, glad you got a picture.  Also, as mentioned by another poster, his left hand is basically in front of the ball, not on the side.  He’s working against himself.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I said early on that Richmond was a five man team and if you eliminate three back doors by Gustavson (he burned Jacobs twice and Hargrove once), their bench contributed 5 points.  Add to that Cayo's four and Gilyard's 2, I can't wait to see what the puke on A10 Talk has to say about the vaunted Spah-ders.  We need more of you to go over to A10 Talk  and tell Austin Daisey and Anthony Morelli and the editors over there that there is more to the league than afterthought teams like Richmond and St. Joe's. 

Anybody know how much time Collins spent on Gilyard?  Because if that was all Yuri, man what a shutdown.  And the mantra is never foul a jump shooter so those clowns on the broadcast calling for more than 9 free throws are idiots.  Case closed

Before the game I thought about you saying Richmond is s as 5 man team and at the end of the game you were proven right.

You have good insight into the other A10 teams and you have shown that for the years I have been on Billikens dot com.

Our team should be able to beat most 5 men teams because we usually get something from our bench especially Perkins.

The way our team was built this season I thought Bell could defend Golden and Toppin.  I also thought Weaver and Collins could Defend Gilyard.  We will find out Friday if Bell can defend Toppin.

13 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Before the game I thought about you saying Richmond is s as 5 man team and at the end of the game you were proven right.

You have good insight into the other A10 teams and you have shown that for the years I have been on Billikens dot com.

Our team should be able to beat most 5 men teams because we usually get something from our bench especially Perkins.

The way our team was built this season I thought Bell could defend Golden and Toppin.  I also thought Weaver and Collins could Defend Gilyard.  We will find out Friday if Bell can defend Toppin.

I don’t think I’m saying any earth shattering here but Bell won’t be able to handle Toppin

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

He wants to lose 5 more pounds down to 280 this season and then 10 to 15 over the summer.  He is 6'10" and is still growing.

Fun to watch a millionaire develop right before our eyes. Get those autographs now if he really hits 7' or higher he will be a star.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I’m curious as to what you mean by “a 5 man team”. Richmond played 7 double digit minutes.  They are deeper than 5.   Burton and Gustavson made some positive contributions.  Gustavson had one or two backdoor cuts leading to baskets and a nice 10 foot jumper.

If you are looking at scoring totals, they had only three in double figures. 

Last night we had six players in double digit minutes, so are we only 6 deep?  I'll put the Billikens down as 8 deep regardless of what last night's box score says.

3star_recruit likes this

17 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Bell has done well on defense. Who knows if he can slow down Toppin. That is why they play the games. This will be a good test.

for months MBM'S have been saying what JBJ cant do, and for the most part have been proven wrong. I dont know if he can slow toppin, but as you say "that is why they play the game"  THE LOCOMOTIVE

1 hour ago, RamJAMTIME said:

IMG_20200111_182247.jpg

Typically, most shooters use the nail hole at the center of the FT line as their point of reference. In this case, it does look like how most left handed shooters set up, with their left foot aligned with the aforementioned hole. Kind of creates this odd situation where you are shooting against your own body. Every shooter is different, so maybe this is what Jordan has worked out as a new solution, but it is certainly odd. 

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

for months MBM'S have been saying what JBJ cant do, and for the most part have been proven wrong. I dont know if he can slow toppin, but as you say "that is why they play the game"  THE LOCOMOTIVE

Sorry Dennis, but the jist  of my posts early in the season referenced Ford’s management of Bell’s minutes as proof positive that he was not prepared for anything more than minor minutes, as he was not in game shape. That was proven to be true. He was played until he reached his endurance rope, and then he sat for the rest of the game.

He now has a much better base conditioning, after four months of hard D1 conditioning. Hopefully he will continue to progress, and can continue to hang 10 points, 5 rebounds, alert D, and 25 minutes on every opponent down the road. We are a much better team with a true center.

Again, Ford has done a masterful job of coaching this season. Every single player has holes in his game, but Ford has successfully blended the parts into a whole team that overcomes hurdles rather than finding excuses.

As far as Toppin, we will find out why he will be close to a lottery pick in the next draft. 

52 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Typically, most shooters use the nail hole at the center of the FT line as their point of reference. In this case, it does look like how most left handed shooters set up, with their left foot aligned with the aforementioned hole. Kind of creates this odd situation where you are shooting against your own body. Every shooter is different, so maybe this is what Jordan has worked out as a new solution, but it is certainly odd. 

the hand may be an issue but his feet placement has resulted in an improvement. 

45 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Sorry Dennis, but the jist  of my posts early in the season referenced Ford’s management of Bell’s minutes as proof positive that he was not prepared for anything more than minor minutes, as he was not in game shape. That was proven to be true. He was played until he reached his endurance rope, and then he sat for the rest of the game.

He now has a much better base conditioning, after four months of hard D1 conditioning. Hopefully he will continue to progress, and can continue to hang 10 points, 5 rebounds, alert D, and 25 minutes on every opponent down the road. We are a much better team with a true center.

Again, Ford has done a masterful job of coaching this season. Every single player has holes in his game, but Ford has successfully blended the parts into a whole team that overcomes hurdles rather than finding excuses.

As far as Toppin, we will find out why he will be close to a lottery pick in the next draft. 

apology accepted, i am not sure everyone remembers it quite the way you do; oh well to each his own

54 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Nonsense, just admit you were wrong.... he was never a heavy footed troll who couldn’t make it up and down the court...

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks.  Answering my own question here.  BenFred said he weighed 318 upon his arrival at SLU and was down to 288 at time of his article on July 20 and now it looks like he is down to 280 with an ideal weight of 265 if he wants to lose another 5 now and 10-15 more during summer. 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Richmond is soft.

This is spot on.  Richmond only had, what, 3(?) 2nd half fouls with 3 minutes to go before they started the hack-a-thon.  Tough, smart teams are going to be more physical with us (especially French, Goodwin and Collins) earlier and rack up some fouls in the process, but also make things tougher on our offense.

I hope more teams play us soft.

The hack strategy didn’t work because they had to telegraph it with all of the fouls before we were in the bonus.  We had plenty of time to work on getting it to the right guys (Perkins and Jacobs) to shoot our one-and-ones.

rgbilliken likes this

Dennis, I promise to stop calling him a heavy footed troll when he gets more dunks in a game than French.

You, amongst others, like to play revisionist historians. At the beginning of the season, we were going to play a rooting, tooting 40 minutes of hell pressing defense, and Ford tabbed Bell as the starting center. In that context, I stated there was no way Bell could make it up and down the court. He still is no Arthur Miller, or  Johnson, but he is a developing Bell.

Turned out the team had no concept of how to play an extended pressing D well, nor could they truncate down and cover the 3 pt line, nor could they(at that time) stop on the ball penetration. Thus ended the 40 minutes of hell.

5 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Dennis, I promise to stop calling him a heavy footed troll when he gets more dunks in a game than French.

You, amongst others, like to play revisionist historians. At the beginning of the season, we were going to play a rooting, tooting 40 minutes of hell pressing defense, and Ford tabbed Bell as the starting center. In that context, I stated there was no way Bell could make it up and down the court. He still is no Arthur Miller, or  Johnson, but he is a developing Bell.

Turned out the team had no concept of how to play an extended pressing D well, nor could they truncate down and cover the 3 pt line, nor could they(at that time) stop on the ball penetration. Thus ended the 40 minutes of hell.

i revised history? not seeing that, u said he couldnt make it past the 1st media timeout. you were wrong. enough said. i didnt call you out you called me out. i never mentioned your name. give it up man. jimmy bell is not heavy footed troll and never has been