GDT Beat the Spahhders

Littlebill

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I want to let everyone know that for the second year the billiken staff were very gracious host to my son. He is a First Class petty officer stationed in Norfolk, Va and a lifelong billiken fan. He rarely gets to a game, but he got to attend practice last night and was given premium seating for the game. I cant say enough good things about the billiken staff. Then a win on the road cant be better than that

Out of reactions. @SluSignGuy Steve?  Trying to dap dudes and all outta daps!

Schasz likes this

Great game. Don’t want to read the whole GDT but just wanted to give props to Hasahn French. He defense was all conference last night. Whoever he was guarding had no chance of scoring all night. Just a great effort by everyone last night including the staff. 

Rewatching with a sober eye now.  

It was such a cohesive effort last night.  No one forcing anything.  We wore Richmond out.  I actually thought Richmond players looks like they haven’t seen the inside of a weight room.  

Turning point in the game was Yuri hustle plays.  The falling out of bounds Yuri save to a Goodwin dunk was so awesome.  Goodwin’s 3 in the corner to go up 11 was such a dagger 3.  JG wasn’t losing last night.

Next thought, jimmy bell is so coordinated for a freshman.  He feeds the post, does his defensive job, finishes, shoots free throws well.  He completely took Golden out of his game.  He acts like a grounded Senior out there.  With 3:21 left, Yuri picked it, Bell possessed it, then Yuri ran down the court looking for the fast break.  Bell knew time and score and slows it down.  This was right after he put on a post clinic abusing Golden getting a lay up.  

Man, what a monster win for our resume, the standings, future tiebreaker scenarios, NET, players confidence.  

If we play like that in front of a raucous Fetz crown, I think we take down Dayton. 

50 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Great game. Don’t want to read the whole GDT but just wanted to give props to Hasahn French. He defense was all conference last night. Whoever he was guarding had no chance of scoring all night. Just a great effort by everyone last night including the staff. 

Great D without fouling. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

You don't want to read the whole thread?  But MBMs be dropping their best material in the GDTs! Heh!

12 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Rewatching with a sober eye now.  

It was such a cohesive effort last night.  No one forcing anything.  We wore Richmond out.  I actually thought Richmond players looks like they haven’t seen the inside of a weight room.  

Turning point in the game was Yuri hustle plays.  The falling out of bounds Yuri save to a Goodwin dunk was so awesome.  Goodwin’s 3 in the corner to go up 11 was such a dagger 3.  JG wasn’t losing last night.

Next thought, jimmy bell is so coordinated for a freshman.  He feeds the post, does his defensive job, finishes, shoots free throws well.  He completely took Golden out of his game.  He acts like a grounded Senior out there.  With 3:21 left, Yuri picked it, Bell possessed it, then Yuri ran down the court looking for the fast break.  Bell knew time and score and slows it down.  This was right after he put on a post clinic abusing Golden getting a lay up.  

Man, what a monster win for our resume, the standings, future tiebreaker scenarios, NET, players confidence.  

If we play like that in front of a raucous Fetz crown, I think we take down Dayton. 

Good points.  Agree - especially the Goodwin 3 pointer dagger.

And like another poster, I turned down the volume on the Richmond announcers who were looking for a foul on each and every contact.   Jacobs and Bell each are still learning, the hard way, what it takes to get a foul called on them whereas Richmond benefitted from their experience and were good at embellishment.   Listened, though, to their announcers on the replay of the game who acted like they could not believe Bell did not get called for a foul when Cayo made incidental contact in the lane with less than 10 minutes to go.  And Burton appears to be a good player though he appears soft and has learned how to flop already.  

Road conference games are tough - and we succeeded.  And we won while not shooting well - even better.

And Weaver and Hargrove did not play much b/c their defense is not good - and Weaver's shot did not fall.   Simple.  No other conspiracies. 

Thicks.  Yes.  Where are all the anti-Ford posters?  IMO, many just like to ***** about something though many really do think he has no basketball x's and o's.

And for those who listened to Troy Robertson, he mentioned a coaching adjustment since the last game -- spread the floor abit without using  perimeter shooting.   Anyone else hear this and can elaborate?

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Weaver is averaging 13.8 mpg in 17 games.  Hargrove in his 12 games is averaging 10.7 mpg.  Don't get on the Flavor of the Day wagon.  Look at what Ford is doing with Team Blue.

Tay weaver needs to go to the river or at least McDonalds near school and start thinking about

exaggerated arches in practice for a fifth year grad student he sure has a flat shot. He gets the ball there with plenty of strength he just needs a better downward angle to let the ball drop in

billikenbill likes this

Coach Ford deserves credit for investing heavily in Jimmy Bell.  He caught a lot of criticism on this board for starting him and playing a lot of minutes.  We beat Richmond, blowing out the spread, while shooting 18% from 3 point range.  I would have said that wasn't possible.  Held Golden to 10, after he put 20 on us twice last year.  Jimmy is just starting to take advantage of one on one coverage.  If we can just get even one of our guys nailing open 3s, we become very dangerous. Ford also deserves credit for yesterday's game plan.  

Had 'grand pa' duties yesterday and had to DVR and watch this morning.  Felt pretty good going in (as I did with Duquesne) and felt a win, clicking on all cylinders, was possible.  Thrilled today --- this is #1 but the silence of all Ravens fans is a close #2.  Lamar Jackson is great provided he's winning.  Otherwise his true QB skills are lacking. 

Just some observations:  Jordan Goodwin remains a monster.  Had 26 and 9 per ESPN and was great in doing it.  I thought it would be a long night with that first foul 1:33 into the game.  But not a factor.  We got the game here via MASN, the Orioles/Nats network so we too were stuck with the Richmond announcers.  The color guy Greg Beckwith (never heard of him) was Richmond's all-time leading steal leader until Gilyard passed him in second half.  Gilyard was given a steal on a deflection; I didn't know you counted them that way.

Jimmy Bell was huge.  In hindsight, it worked out well with Bell and French on Cato and Golden.  Despite chewing us up twice last year, Golden has been nothing really special this year.  It's been more the Blake Francis show.  Francis is my new pain in the *ss player.  Every time he runs by someone he tosses his head back like someone hit him.  And they called that much too much for my liking.  I am all for ignoring that call unless blood shows up or an eyeball rolls across the floor.    

I said early on that Richmond was a five man team and if you eliminate three back doors by Gustavson (he burned Jacobs twice and Hargrove once), their bench contributed 5 points.  Add to that Cayo's four and Gilyard's 2, I can't wait to see what the puke on A10 Talk has to say about the vaunted Spah-ders.  We need more of you to go over to A10 Talk  and tell Austin Daisey and Anthony Morelli and the editors over there that there is more to the league than afterthought teams like Richmond and St. Joe's. 

Anybody know how much time Collins spent on Gilyard?  Because if that was all Yuri, man what a shutdown.  And the mantra is never foul a jump shooter so those clowns on the broadcast calling for more than 9 free throws are idiots.  Case closed.

Down the stretch, we knew who needed to have the ball to make the close out free throws.  We are learning.  For not scoring, Hasahn was key as he played both Cayo and Golden tough when they tried to venture into the paint.  Ditto Big Jimmy.  Perkins was Perkins and I'm very happy to have another Demarius Jacobs sighting as we evolve the season more.  Collins line:  8 rebounds, seven assists, seven points and only two TOs.  Plus that defense.

In case you missed it, the blog hack on A10 Talk, Daisey, went with this yesterday "The Spiders will improve to 13-3 and 3-0 in the conference due to another good shooting game from Blake Francis.  Nick Sherod will keep his hot streak going knocking down a couple of key 3’s for Richmond, as well as Nathan Cayo having another breakout game.  My final score prediction is Richmond 76 – Saint Louis 70."  His come-uppance report on the loss was factual, to say the least.

14 hours ago, almaman said:

Yuri's D is now up to the standard of our great teams. Only a freshman. Wait till him and Jimmy team of with their old buddy Gibby next season.

Don't forget TJ. I don't know why he got so few minutes tonite as we were pushing it which seems suited to his style. It must be a D issue. 

Jimmy Bell could be the A10's biggest gem in the rough pickup this year. You can see he's getting more and more comfortable out there, and with Has drawing double coverage every play he can go to work on the opponents 2nd or 3rd best interior defender. His footwork is developing rapidly. If he can improve on his vertical leap, he could be a holy terror in the A10. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jimmy Bell could be the A10's biggest gem in the rough pickup this year. You can see he's getting more and more comfortable out there, and with Has drawing double coverage every play he can go to work on the opponents 2nd or 3rd best interior defender. His footwork is developing rapidly. If he can improve on his vertical leap, he could be a holy terror in the A10. 

Jimmy's footwork is top notch for a freshman big, and he has a very good natural feel for the game.  It is super exciting to watch him grow game by game.  That being said, matchups are so important in the paint that he will continue to have big games mixed in with games where there is not as much time for him on the court.

3star_recruit likes this

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Out of reactions, good post.

IMHO, An 18 year old kid who has the maturity to drop 100 lbs. in a year will have the dedication to do a great job in the weight room and increase his vertical. The Locomotive will deliver the freight for the Bills!!

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yep.   Anyone have any further updates on his weight loss?   Such a long season, all those long practices.... probably hard not to keep losing weight - though this offseason will be his chance to focus not only on weight loss but on total fitness including increased speed, jumping, strength and quickness.

David King likes this

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Don't forget TJ. I don't know why he got so few minutes tonite as we were pushing it which seems suited to his style. It must be a D issue. 

I think someone said earlier that once we started the run Ford hated to stop the flow so if that was the reason  I absolutely agree with Ford.

cgeldmacher likes this