Rich over The Bills by 6

The Wiz

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Giving up 80 pts to UMass was not encouraging by any means for a team that prides itself on playing bully ball defense. Travis' history has been his teams get better as the season progresses and it all starts with the D. Right now it seems like D is an afterthought. It seems we've gone away from the press and content now to stop teams in the half court. But we still seem to struggle with defending the 3 ball. As we all know, great D will win you more games than great O. I'd like to see us get back to playing way better on D. I'm not a fan of Spoon's theory that as long as you're outscoring your man, D doesn't matter. Good D is there every night, or should be, while O can be a flighty mistress. We'll need to create TOs and convert those into easy baskets to beat Richmond, or anyone else for that matter. So says, Captain Obvious.  

The only two teams we've defended well in the past month are Auburn and Kansas State, the two most athletic teams we faced.  We are physically capable of playing good halfcourt defense.  We are not disciplined enough to do it consistently.  That could take weeks to fix.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only two teams we've defended well in the past month are Auburn and Kansas State, the two most athletic teams we faced.  We are physically capable of playing good halfcourt defense.  We are not disciplined enough to do it consistently.  That could take weeks to fix.

As someone said above, we have a tendency to play down to our competition and play above our level against better teams. So, maybe they will be ok against Richmond, knowing it ain't gonna be a walk in the park game. You might want to add BC to that list as well. The Eagles are suddenly playing decent ball. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

If memory serves, in the A10 tourney  game against UR, Golden was killing us in the first half, then in the 2nd we shut him down. Not sure what the adjustment was, but it worked. Might want to use that right from the get go. 

Your memory may be better than mine but I can't ever remember shutting down Golden. 

To me this game is about the Billikens imposing their will, physically. Richmond has 3 guards who shoot the 3 and can score in a lot of ways. They're small though. Their best big, Golden, is very skilled offensively, but limited as a rim protector. I want to see three things:

1. French in the high post, passing to Bell. Golden can't stay with Bell. Bell needs 15+ minutes and 10+ points. 
  2. Perkins pushing the issue, taking it to the rim. Richmond has no rim protector. 
  3. JGood being J-Good. We know he'll come out amped and hyped. He needs to keep it under control, stay on the court, and physically dominate Nick Sherod. 
  4. On defense, the Bills will have to play smart. Richmond might get a few lucky 3s, but the Bills need to keep their guy in front. We will miss Thatch in this one. Lots of onus on Yuri, Weaver, and Jacobs to control Gilyard and Francis 
  5. Limit loose ball turnovers. Make Richmond earn it in the front court. 

27 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

To me this game is about the Billikens imposing their will, physically. Richmond has 3 guards who shoot the 3 and can score in a lot of ways. They're small though. Their best big, Golden, is very skilled offensively, but limited as a rim protector. I want to see three things:

1. French in the high post, passing to Bell. Golden can't stay with Bell. Bell needs 15+ minutes and 10+ points. 
  2. Perkins pushing the issue, taking it to the rim. Richmond has no rim protector. 
  3. JGood being J-Good. We know he'll come out amped and hyped. He needs to keep it under control, stay on the court, and physically dominate Nick Sherod. 
  4. On defense, the Bills will have to play smart. Richmond might get a few lucky 3s, but the Bills need to keep their guy in front. We will miss Thatch in this one. Lots of onus on Yuri, Weaver, and Jacobs to control Gilyard and Francis 
  5. Limit loose ball turnovers. Make Richmond earn it in the front court. 

Agree but concerned about the way this league is being officiated. I can see a lot of touch fouls being called against us on their smallish guards. If that happens we will have a difficult time keeping Gilyard and Francis in check, let's hope the refs let them play a little bit. 

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

So they're F on defensive rebs and we're A+ on the same end of the floor - is that not as significant as the FTs?

This is a confusing part of the report card.....I always put a short explanation below it but it still can be confusing.....Rebounds under the offense category refers to total  rebounds per game .....The rebounds listed under the defense  refers to the total rebounds per game allowed  to the opponent.  In the case of The Bills, we take down 40.9 rebs/ gm ( A )....The Bills allow opposing teams to take down 32.4 rebs/ gm ( C- )....I do it that way because many data services list it that way.  This year, I have separated out offensive  reb below the report card because we are leaders (A+ )  ITN.....9th....12.1 rebs/gm....Those are actual off rebs....Hope that clears it up.

To answer your question ...is that significant?   It is because we are a great rebounding team and they are poor....Is it enough to offset the superior FT%  of Richmond?...The 7 rebs is part of the formula of a mix of factors to determine ...What We Need 2 Do 2 Win...WWN2D2W....Rebs don't exactly correlate to FTs ....but here is what I will tell you that  will be significant....10 & 6....10 reb diff in our favor should offset their FT advantage......6 or less reb advantage...and their FT advantage starts to grow.

Littlebill likes this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this is kinda correct.  first half he was out beyond the 3 point line hitting shots.   second half we had a player go out there and put a hand up.   wasnt a matter we denied him the ball if my memory is correct.   

Well, first half he was 1-1 from the arc, second half 0-1.  So his three point shooting wasn't a big factor.  Did French start out on him and then we switched to maybe Bess?  I remember something major changing.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Well, first half he was 1-1 from the arc, second half 0-1.  So his three point shooting wasn't a big factor.  Did French start out on him and then we switched to maybe Bess?  I remember something major changing.

i think we just really got up on him.   1st half he got out of the lane and we let him get the ball.   second half we made it harder for him to get the ball.  

Two illustrations I stumbled upon that i thought were interesting. Both updated as latest games. 

First (Found this on twitter): Points per mid-range shot. The two X&Y Axis need to have labels corrected to say midrange instead of Shots at Rim.

We're currently hitting mid-range at the same efficiency of us shooting 20.5% from 3. Javonte Perkins shooting a 3 is more efficient than us shooting a mid-range jumper.

image.thumb.png.7d93c5aadc04ea7f0ab5dfe92ed689c3.png

Second, (found this on a public tableau). Of note, Hargrove and Goodwin are currently the only 2 players above league average on points per shot at the rim. 

Also, Yuri is by far the worst at the rim of anyone in the league, but still more efficient than us taking a mid-range jumper. 

image.thumb.png.4f98a6db799b653ffe1bc310541ee768.png

Disclaimer: These can be misleading! I am not reading a lot into them, just thought they were interesting 

Zink and Pistol like this

From the Richmond Game Notes:

Nick Sherod needs 14 points to reach 1,000 in his college career.  Sherod will be the fourth current Spider with 1,000 career points, joining Grant Golden, Jacob Gilyard, and Blake Francis. While Richmond is currently one of seven schools with THREE active 1,000-point scorers (along with BYU, Liberty, Louisville, North Florida, UIC, USC), the Spiders stand to be the first team in D-I with FOUR active 1,000-point scorers playing this season.

Also:  Richmond has zero seniors on their roster.  

BY CLASS

Freshmen (2): Arizin, Burton

Sophomores (5): Crabtree, Grace, Gustavson, Koureissi, Wojcik

Juniors (7): Cayo, Francis, Gaitley, Gilyard, Golden, Kulju, Sherod

Seniors (0)

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

From the Richmond Game Notes:

Nick Sherod needs 14 points to reach 1,000 in his college career.  Sherod will be the fourth current Spider with 1,000 career points, joining Grant Golden, Jacob Gilyard, and Blake Francis. While Richmond is currently one of seven schools with THREE active 1,000-point scorers (along with BYU, Liberty, Louisville, North Florida, UIC, USC), the Spiders stand to be the first team in D-I with FOUR active 1,000-point scorers playing this season.

Also:  Richmond has zero seniors on their roster.  

BY CLASS

Freshmen (2): Arizin, Burton

Sophomores (5): Crabtree, Grace, Gustavson, Koureissi, Wojcik

Juniors (7): Cayo, Francis, Gaitley, Gilyard, Golden, Kulju, Sherod

Seniors (0)

Amazing, maybe they're the team to beat next year.