Free Throw Woes

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2020 at 11:18 PM, Spoonball18 said:

I'm not too worried about setting up the body of the thought in paragraph style when it's a freaking topic about horrible free throw shooting. 

If you prefer, you are more than welcome to read it, repost it with the correct paragraph style, and correct any grammatical errors so it is more pleasing to your eye. 

This is 2020.  This is the day and age where kids and young adults need a safe space from mean words.  They don't know how to read or write in cursive, can't drive a manual transmission, don't know what a pay phone is, can't do math without a calculator, don't know how to spell without spellcheck, and can't dial a rotary dial phone. 

This is my boycott. 

Block text.

I say mean words to my kids all the time.  They are tough as hell.  And good at doing math without a calculator.  

They can't spell worth a damn though.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-you are asking someone that during a game can't make it at 16ft (ft line to front of rim is 15feet plus 1foot for the ball) to now shoot it at least 2 feet further (15feet plus 2feet of rim and neck plus 1foot up the backboard so the ball can bank into the net), seems like a great idea

I’m saying it takes more skill and finesse to actually make a FT than to at least hit the freakin backboard and possibly get a bounce? a roll, or a rebound.  The chances of making a normal FT like most shooters do is proven to be a monumental task that at least once or twice a game results in a air ball.  
   While growing up playing and practicing layup drills we were taught to use the glass (seemingly a lost art these days).  It’s frustrating to watch so many little floaters game after game turn into misses off the rim or result in a block when banking off the glass may have resulted in a bucket.  It’s not so far fetched to think French would have a better result from using the glass...even if he misses it may turn into a better rebound opportunity.  Are we grasping at straws?? Perhaps we are, but sitting here and saying you can’t change anything during the season or we just need to accept it is just simply a terrible answer.

2 hours ago, Spoonball18 said:

It still seems like the percentage couldn’t be any worse and possibly improve just by (as some have suggested) banking it off the backboard square.  At least maybe Has would avoid the ones that end up at 8.5’ and 2’ off center.  It could improve the chances of grabbing a couple more rebounds.  Aiming for the square is no different than taking extra practice at a different shot.  If you want to improve from a different spot on the floor, you work on it.  It should be easy for French since he has absolutely NO JUMP SHOT anyway.  There are NO MECHANICS to mess up.  Every single FT attempt that ends up nowhere close to the basket makes me believe French has a better future in the NFL than in pro basketball.

if he has airballs beyond humorous trying to get it in I see no lock with the bet that he can hit the backboard on purpose. wish this was blue font

3 minutes ago, Spoonball18 said:

I’m saying it takes more skill and finesse to actually make a FT than to at least hit the freakin backboard and possibly get a bounce? a roll, or a rebound.  The chances of making a normal FT like most shooters do is proven to be a monumental task that at least once or twice a game results in a air ball.  
   While growing up playing and practicing layup drills we were taught to use the glass (seemingly a lost art these days).  It’s frustrating to watch so many little floaters game after game turn into misses off the rim or result in a block when banking off the glass may have resulted in a bucket.  It’s not so far fetched to think French would have a better result from using the glass...even if he misses it may turn into a better rebound opportunity.  Are we grasping at straws?? Perhaps we are, but sitting here and saying you can’t change anything during the season or we just need to accept it is just simply a terrible answer.

French would make less than 34% from FT line trying to bank it in. I'm certain of that. 

slufanskip likes this

23 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

French would make less than 34% from FT line trying to bank it in. I'm certain of that. 

Ok, well how about we just see him try it after he practices it even just one practice session.  TRY IT.  TRY ANYTHING.  To keep pushing the ball with a stiff arm and missing everything entirely is a better option than TRYING SOMETHING ELSE??

28 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Agreed. Not much room for error banking in free throws. Underhand would be more beneficial imo. But neither will happen. He's a bad ft shooter. It won't change. No reason to keep bringing it up. 

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Agreed. Not much room for error banking in free throws. Underhand would be more beneficial imo. But neither will happen. He's a bad ft shooter. It won't change. No reason to keep bringing it up. 

Agreed. Also, French is a human being who (I would guess) wants to play professional basketball (likely overseas). FTs aside, he's going to need a jumpshot to have sustained success professionally on the offensive end. Another reason that he would not abandon jumpshots entirely and start something gimmicky at the line.

3 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Agreed. Also, French is a human being who (I would guess) wants to play professional basketball (likely overseas). FTs aside, he's going to need a jumpshot to have sustained success professionally on the offensive end. Another reason that he would not abandon jumpshots entirely and start something gimmicky at the line.

Remind me the last jump shot French had?  Has he had one in his 3 seasons?  People act like he actually HAS a shot.  He’s a great player but he has no shooting ability.  I don’t care if he closes his eyes and shoots.  He can shoot a shot off the backboard like a chest pass for all I care...just try something different .  Try shooting with his opposite hand, bank it in, shoot it granny style, throw it like a baseball on the second attempt!  JUST DO NOT KEEP SHOOTING IT LIKE NORMAL.  Nothing about his shot is normal. Try a hook shot...I don’t care!

6 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

YTD stats...SLU FTM 303

Opp FTM 304

Yes it’s frustrating, but the facts are we have made as many FT this year as our opposition. 
FT problem fixed!!!!

mhg

This is the point I have been trying to make in a number of post across a number of threads. It is all about FTM. In the aforementioned Dayton game where we shot another dismal line of 20-37 (54%)...that was good for a 7 pt margin as Day went 13-19...yes they beat us on %  but not on FTM...in other words FTs didn't cost us that game. We are 22nd ITN in FTA ( A ) vs 155 ITN in FTM ( C+ )  even though we are last ITN in FT% (F-)...There is only 1 team in the A-10 that has more FTM than us ...RI.   And only 2 other  teams on our schedule  have more FTM  than us...Aub & SH...Wait , what about Richmond who is now tied for #1 ITN in FT% (80.2%)...Nope...we have 28 more FTM.

Would it be better to have a higher FT%...of course...but if we were shooting 75% we would be fouled a lot less. The point is... fouling us more isn't a great strategy for beating us (see our record)   Even in the late stages of a close game by putting the ball in the right hands (Perkins...79%) we can kill the hack a Bill strategy.

21 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Ok, well how about we just see him try it after he practices it even just one practice session.  TRY IT.  TRY ANYTHING.  To keep pushing the ball with a stiff arm and missing everything entirely is a better option than TRYING SOMETHING ELSE??

On 2/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, Spoonball18 said:

How do you know he hasn't tried everything?  Hell, I've seen him try three different things during the course of one game.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

How do you know he hasn't tried everything?  Hell, I've seen him try three different things during the course of one game.

Why doesn't he try and shoot it with his back to the basket? Maybe shut his eyes and just feel it? Maybe a hook shot. Have you seen Kareem shoot the sky hook? Damn, just try anything.

On a positive note, we finally had a game where the free throws didn’t lose it.  Even if we hit the 10 me missed we would’ve lost by 4.  Nothing like getting throttled twice by the Dukes.  Obviously there could have been extra attempts had we made the front end of one and ones so before anyone goes ballistic—-this is tongue in cheek.