GDT: GW

SLU_Nick

58 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Even back then you only used the backboard from certain angles. 

agree.   it has to make sense.   and from the 45 degree angle the mid range shot a bank is a good shot.   from the 3 line or straight on, not sure if it is a better shot to try to bank it. 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Key words ... back in the day. We evolve. 

Seriously, if it was easier, which would mean you could be more successful, all the best shooters would do it. Banking a layup is different and easier. When I was young they taught you to bank from the wings, however basically (and I say basically because someone will say "well this guy does and he's pretty good" ) when I mean basically no one shoots using the bank intentionally anymore because it's not easier. Guys have millions of dollars to be made by becoming great shooters yet they choose not to do it the easiest way. Makes sense

i respectfully disagree, shooting is not better today, the bank from the wing is much easier, but just my opinion

slufanskip likes this

52 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i respectfully disagree, shooting is not better today, the bank from the wing is much easier, but just my opinion

Respectfully, shooting is better today that it has been in any time in history. Throughout just about every decade in history, basketball players have been better at shooting than they were the decade prior. 

slufanskip likes this

35 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I respect your opinion also but why do you think players who have millions of dollars on the line choose not to take the easier shot? I've studied many shooting instructional videos and tutorials over the last 20 years and can't remember even one teaching you to bank from anywhere outside of a few feet. 

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Are three pointers the only shots taken? why are so many layups missed? we disagree

I completely agree on layups or shots taken at an angle within 3-4 feet. Everyone, even today stresses using the backboard on layups and close in shots. Hit the top corner on a layup and the ball goes in, it's like magic.  However, were we actually talking about layups?