GDT: GW

SLU_Nick

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Actually, if a player is fouled, the field goal attempt doesn't count, unless it goes in.  Therefore, none of the times that Perkins drew fouls for two free throws contributes to his poor shooting percentage.

Perkins clearly took my advice to heart. He only had 8 fg attempts and 4 from inside the arc. He took 2 less field goal attempts than his season average. Damn glad the players read and know enough to listen 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree, huge Jacobs fan.  He just keeps getting better both offensively and defensively.  Thank goodness Ford is the coach because Jacobs needs to play 25+ minutes a game.  He is starting to "get it".  Gonna be a really good player.

Perkins is also getting better ..... but some of his shot selection drives me crazy. 35% fg%, 25% 3pt% has to improve.  Yes, I know on some of those misses draw fouls and love that he can hit ft's.  But I see Jacobs as more reliable player at this point. 

Perkins is averaging 15 ppg over the last 7 games with very few good shooting games to show for it.  Just imagine what he could do if his jumper starts falling.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree, huge Jacobs fan.  He just keeps getting better both offensively and defensively.  Thank goodness Ford is the coach because Jacobs needs to play 25+ minutes a game.  He is starting to "get it".  Gonna be a really good player.

Perkins is also getting better ..... but some of his shot selection drives me crazy. 35% fg%, 25% 3pt% has to improve.  Yes, I know on some of those misses draw fouls and love that he can hit ft's.  But I see Jacobs as more reliable player at this point. 

I chalk some of Perkins poor shooting due to our poor offense. Him having to get the ball late in the clock and trying to make something happen. Also think his selection is poor sometimes too. He's a volume shooter and we might need to live with it a little. I hope he has a game soon where he just shoots lights out to reward him a little. I think he really has the green light from the staff on a lot of possesions solely due to our lack of offensive flow. Would really like to see him and Jgood get the ball in the post more often. As opposed to catching on the wing too much. Just wish players other than French would get post ups called for them regularily. 

SLU1818 likes this

French banked in his last free throw by hitting the square on the backboard. Was that intentional. I have been telling my wife the whole season he needs to try shooting them that way. I think he will shoot a higher percentage and if he misses it will likely be a longer rebound and give us a better chance at it.

5 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

French banked in his last free throw by hitting the square on the backboard. Was that intentional. I have been telling my wife the whole season he needs to try shooting them that way. I think he will shoot a higher percentage and if he misses it will likely be a longer rebound and give us a better chance at it.

Is anything he does at the FT line intentional?  I saw that but I guess he is just trying to hit one anyway.  Unfortunately for him he missed on that hit the basket and just rolled around and out.  He just is trying so hard but the yips just seem to keep popping up.

8 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

It’s clear Has’ will never be better than a 35% ft shooter going about it the traditional way. If he won’t shoot them underhanded then aiming for the square is a good plan.

RUBillsFan likes this

26 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

It’s clear Has’ will never be better than a 35% ft shooter going about it the traditional way. If he won’t shoot them underhanded aiming for the square is a good plan.

Never is a long time.  DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond shot at that level for years and years before finally finding something that worked.  I would agree that it won't get fixed in the less than 2 years left that French has at Saint Louis University.

His time would be better spent improving his post passing.  French could average 4 apg with all the double teams he sees.

2 hours ago, papal said:

The most frequent lineup in the past 5 games according to the above would be no lineup  (add up the percentages on the right)!!!  Don't always believe statistics.

No, this set of stats is incomplete, not necessarily wrong in total. Hankton Is not accounted for, amongst other discrepancies.

This is a good start at showing meaningful stats, ie what groupings show the best offensive, defensive, rebounding, free throw, and turnover stats.

Meaningful stats can be gleaned from first groupings, and then extracting the second level information.

A good example would be how does spacing effect French’s offensive efficiency, minus free throws. Run a query with Jimerson in vs out of the groups, and then run a third level with/without Collins, and run a split out with Collins/Weaver/Jacobs as the pg. 

You can do all sorts of tricks with groups analysis..Gantt time flow plus/minus, central tendencies, spacing, good skill/bad skill observations, but they all correlate fairly well.

Soderburg liked points per possession per grouping, Ford seems to like the good/bad observations and central tendencies. Majerus distilled the central tendencies to its purest form, and demanded they be followed to the T.

The vast majority of college coaches have been using stats packages, either outright or intuitively, for the past three + decades.

Bizziken likes this

2 hours ago, papal said:

The most frequent lineup in the past 5 games according to the above would be no lineup  (add up the percentages on the right)!!!  Don't always believe statistics.

Those are the most frequent lineups, not a comprehensive list of all of the lineups used. 

17 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

No, this set of stats is incomplete, not necessarily wrong in total. Hankton Is not accounted for, amongst other discrepancies.

Soderburg liked points per possession per grouping, Ford seems to like the good/bad observations and central tendencies. Majerus distilled the central tendencies to its purest form, and demanded they be followed to the T.

I wouldn’t say it’s incomplete. These stats illustrate the most frequent lineups used, which is all it’s intending to do. Could KenPom’s source data be incorrect? For sure, but I am generally inclined to trust them.

Your other point is a really interesting one. I would love to know what stats Ford and staff look at. Don’t get me wrong, I think the data available to college basketball coaches is very limited. At the end of the day, any good coach is going to have to rely primarily on gut/film/observations. That said, I do sometimes feel like our coaching staff could better scrutinize the efficiency of the plays they’re calling. I could be way off, though.

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

i have said the very thing, take a two hand chest pass at the square, bank it on or get a long rebound, bank shots in general are easier to make

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Never is a long time.  DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond shot at that level for years and years before finally finding something that worked.  I would agree that it won't get fixed in the less than 2 years left that French has at Saint Louis University.

His time would be better spent improving his post passing.  French could average 4 apg with all the double teams he sees.

Has is second on the team in assist per 40 minutes according to those numbers posted earlier. He could be better but I think he makes pretty good decisions. Think his teammates could help him out making some cuts to the basket.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

i have said the very thing, take a two hand chest pass at the square, bank it on or get a long rebound, bank shots in general are easier to make

If that was true all shots would be bank shots.  It's not an easier shot from the field or from the line. 

6 hours ago, NH said:

I agree with you that it seems the positions are flexible. But in general, you are always going to see 3 of the following on the floor: Jacobs, Collins, Weaver and Goodwin. Per KenPom, Perkins has played 0.0% of the minutes over the past 5 games (screenshot below). Lineups.JPG.e20fde4d4246a2ca43744f12813ed773.JPG

If Ford is serious about resting Yuri more, that means that either Goodwin or Weaver will likely take over the 'point' position for that period of time

Personally, I think a Goodwin, Jacobs, Hargrove, Perkins, French lineup could get some buckets. A little weak defensively, but you could employ a 1-3-1 or full court press and play more up-tempo with that lineup.

Man, I miss Fred.

32 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Has is second on the team in assist per 40 minutes according to those numbers posted earlier. He could be better but I think he makes pretty good decisions. Think his teammates could help him out making some cuts to the basket.

I agree.  I'm talking about taking his passing, which is already good, into great territory.  That would make him great at three things - rebounding, shot blocking and passing.  He could beat out his buddy Jordan Goodwin for conference POY as a senior.

2 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

While shooting free throws?

there was a guy on the hawks who banked everything, french is so bad i think he would profit from banking the shot. just an opinion, i coached kids who refused to bank the ball even on  layups because it didnt look cool. anyway just my opinion

With French's current body of work as an example, I think he would throw the ball THROUGH the backboard as opposed to getting the bank the way you perceive.  I think if French just slows down, some finesse might be realized.

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

With French's current body of work as an example, I think he would throw the ball THROUGH the backboard as opposed to getting the bank the way you perceive.  I think if French just slows down, some finesse might be realized.

He does seem to rush his ft shots......

3 hours ago, dennis_w said:

ask tim duncan if bank shots are easier, i can show  you film of nba players back in the day that routinely banked shots, 

Key words ... back in the day. We evolve. 

Seriously, if it was easier, which would mean you could be more successful, all the best shooters would do it. Banking a layup is different and easier. When I was young they taught you to bank from the wings, however basically (and I say basically because someone will say "well this guy does and he's pretty good" ) when I mean basically no one shoots using the bank intentionally anymore because it's not easier. Guys have millions of dollars to be made by becoming great shooters yet they choose not to do it the easiest way. Makes sense