SLU_Nick

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

but, why?

It's always a good thing to get the other team's frontline in foul trouble, even if you miss half the free throws.  Makes the opposition more tentative defensively at the end of the game. Also, Perkins at the line to close out the game is a pretty good position to be in.  But we should have put this game away in the first half.  Perkins' free throws shouldn't have been necessary.

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

• Has is missing so many easy shots. His touch has abandoned him; head-scratching

I feel like hes overcompensating for his hip injury. 

7 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

• Ford really likes Jacobs' defense. Jacobs was terrible on offense, missed a killer front-end, but had 4 steals and generally guards both the ball and off-the-ball well. 

He missed a few close floaters too

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

It's always a good thing to get the other team's frontline in foul trouble, even if you miss half the free throws.  Makes the opposition more tentative defensively at the end of the game. Also, Perkins at the line to close out the game is a pretty good position to be in.  But we should have put this game away in the first half.  Perkins' free throws shouldn't have been necessary.

I mean I understand that, but we're simply just not making FT at the rate for that to pay off.  It'll work against some teams, and it can also backfire like last night. 

Ford should rest French both halves when we're in the single bonus.  Probably can't get away with resting him the entire time we're in the single bonus, but that is when French should be getting rest.  The odds of him missing the front end of a 1 and 1 are too high.  Other teams should be looking to hack him whenever he touches the ball in those situations.  It's almost the same as a turnover for us.  JBJ can pick up minutes in those siuations.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

Ford should rest French both halves when we're in the single bonus.  Probably can't get away with resting him the entire time we're in the single bonus, but that is when French should be getting rest.  The odds of him missing the front end of a 1 and 1 are too high.  Other teams should be looking to hack him whenever he touches the ball in those situations.  It's almost the same as a turnover for us.  JBJ can pick up minutes in those siuations.

Ya im moving towards this, obviously unless the current game dictates otherwise, leave french out the last 3-4 minutes per half 

35 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

One thing I noticed was in the second half, almost every offensive set involved getting the ball to the post (either French, JBJ, or even Perkins), and having them try to beat their man at the post. It seemed like the sets were playing into GW's strategy of hack-a-Billiken.

Meanwhile, in the first half, when we built that big lead, we had a variety of set plays leading to jumpers in addition to the occasional post play. Why did we step away from what was working for us?

or maybe gw made a correction that took away our previous success?   

dennis_w likes this

48 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yea KState isn't great, but given the Big 10 is stacked this year (like 8 top 25 NET teams), they won't have a lot of opportunities to drop to Q3 which is nice.

help me here.   what do kstate and the big 10 have to do with each other?

slufan13 and HoosierPal like this

20 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

I suppose it depends on the opponent but against a team like GW that doesn't have imposing post players, why couldn't Bell have taken 6 of French's 36 minutes? 

if french (or goodwin) are fatigued to the point they are not as good at that moment than the substitute to bring in i agree.   unfortunately imo they have shown they are the two best options if they play 40 minutes a game.  

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I feel like hes overcompensating for his hip injury. 

this is a great "maybe?"   would explain a lot of french stuff we have seen as of late.

3 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

We shot one 3 pt'er in the second half. Was their correction that phenomenal?

i dont know.   i just threw out a maybe.   

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Totally agree that Jimerson's value to the team has been emphasized since he went down.  But we did beat KSU without him and Thatch, so the pieces are still there.  We are obviously having trouble adapting to how teams are playing us.

Weaver needs to replace Jimerson's 3 point shooting if our offense is going to be successful.  He did that phenomenally against K-State going 3-4 and also shot well vs Beth-Cook and Duq (3-6 in both, but we had other issues in those games).  He was 0-3 vs UMass and 0-1 vs GW.  Him and Jacobs are our only consistent high volume / minute outside shooters.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if french (or goodwin) are fatigued to the point they are not as good at that moment than the substitute to bring in i agree.   unfortunately imo they have shown they are the two best options if they play 40 minutes a game.  

This is kind of short sighted IMO.  For the odds of winning one particular game, you are correct that you probably play French / Goodwin 40 minutes.  However, we also need to look down the road and keep both healthy / get them rest for the long season.  I think this applies more to French who I don't think is 100% than to Goodwin who is.

Just now, dennis_w said:

five more made free throws was the difference in the game

given how many times we went to the line, we could have scored more than 5 points not playing the free throw game

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

given how many times we went to the line, we could have scored more than 5 points not playing the free throw game

We score more efficiently going to line and hitting 60% than shooting 38% from the field. Plus there is the upside of the other team accumulating fouls and what not.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 minute ago, glazedandconfused said:

We score more efficiently going to line and hitting 60% than shooting 38% from the field. Plus there is the upside of the other team accumulating fouls and what not.

our offense was flowing before we went to the down-low/FT game. Im confident in that if we continued to play the style we did early, it would outweigh what we scored going to the line by a lot.

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is kind of short sighted IMO.  For the odds of winning one particular game, you are correct that you probably play French / Goodwin 40 minutes.  However, we also need to look down the road and keep both healthy / get them rest for the long season.  I think this applies more to French who I don't think is 100% than to Goodwin who is.

Goodwin said that his knees have been bothering him so it would nice to decrease his workload as well. 

I am on board with they way Coach Ford is playing Jimmy Bell, EXCEPT give the man a few second half minutes.  That is the baffling part.  In games where he plays well in the first half he still get benched for the second half.  There has got to be a point in the second half where you can bring Bell in to give HF a break to rest up/conserve fouls for the final 6 minute stretch.  I really don't see the downside as Bell hasn't shown himself to be a turnover machine or a defensive liability.

Also, French should consider copying what Bell is doing down low.  Lately when he gets the ball down on the block, he is going straight up with it instead of pump faking.  I feel that French is overly concerned with getting his shot blocked right now and it's throwing of his whole game.  A lot of Billikens pump fake too much down low, and not enough on the perimeter.

2 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I am on board with they way Coach Ford is playing Jimmy Bell, EXCEPT give the man a few second half minutes.  That is the baffling part.  In games where he plays well in the first half he still get benched for the second half.  There has got to be a point in the second half where you can bring Bell in to give HF a break to rest up/conserve fouls for the final 6 minute stretch.  I really don't see the downside as Bell hasn't shown himself to be a turnover machine or a defensive liability.

Also, French should consider copying what Bell is doing down low.  Lately when he gets the ball down on the block, he is going straight up with it instead of pump faking.  I feel that French is overly concerned with getting his shot blocked right now and it's throwing of his whole game.  A lot of Billikens pump fake too much down low, and not enough on the perimeter.

I really have come to second guess a lot of the changes Ford makes. He seems to go away from what’s working quite a bit just for the sake of changing looks. With the lack of outside scoring to spread the lead we have to ride what’s working as long as possible.