GDT: GW

SLU_Nick

20 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Agree, I'm surprised that Ford is content to walk the ball up the court most of the time and run half court sets, that doesn't really play into this teams strengths. Also surprised we don't press more to try and speed teams up, the slow pace of play really limits Yuri's effectiveness IMO. 

Coach only seems willing to play that way when he has access to a 10 man rotation, with one of those guys being Fred Thatch.  You need just as much discipline to press as you do to play halfcourt.  We're not a disciplined defensive team right now.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-losing Jimmy Bell on the bench in the second two games in a row, his demeanor on the bench did not seem great - that dunk by Jimmy after accepting the pass was great and I hope a look of what will be

-we fouled 3pt shooters twice last night, completely unacceptable

-I see CFord on the sideline imploring JGood and JPerk to use a jump stop, they don't 

-the first two ft's of the game HAS had very nice form, never to return again from the stripe

-CFord said on postgame playing Yuri too much, let's see if that changes

-better to be sitting here today after a win, that's for sure but we have a ways to go to be a top 4 in the league

billiken_roy likes this

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Totally agree that Jimerson's value to the team has been emphasized since he went down.  But we did beat KSU without him and Thatch, so the pieces are still there.  We are obviously having trouble adapting to how teams are playing us.

I keep going back to the KSU game too but lately I've wondered if KSU is just not very good. Either way, we played a lot better in that game than the last 4 games 

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good post I agree with everything.

Losing Thatch is also big there were many defensive break downs last night where Thatch could have been inserted to defend the dribble drives Jacobs, Weaver and Collins struggled with and gave up too many easy points.

Offensively Hargrove should be the one that should be able to make up for Jimerson’s points however it is not happening yet.  On the shoot around last night Hargrove was 4 feet behind the 3 point line and consistently hitting practice 3 point shots but he does not attempt any probably because of the quick hook from the coach.

The coach mentioned post game about playing Bell more and I agree he had a confident look on his face and he now finishes most of his bucket and a foul shot plays.

It is time to change things up play 9 players, Hankton can come in a few minutes a game to rest someone.

The offense has not flowed well for the last 4 games more Bell, Weaver and Hargrove mixed in with a little Hankton is needed.

I doubt we see Hankton anymore this year (and possibly ever) barring injuries or severe foul trouble situations.

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I keep going back to the KSU game too but lately I've wondered if KSU is just not very good. Either way, we played a lot better in that game than the last 4 games 

Ive accepted that ksu isnt very good. But any game on the road can be tough, and always good to beat the team stealing your local players. 

10 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-losing Jimmy Bell on the bench in the second two games in a row, his demeanor on the bench did not seem great - that dunk by Jimmy after accepting the pass was great and I hope a look of what will be

As ford said last night,

Hes averaging 8/6 every 27 minutes.  

Starting the season we had 3 players who had previously played significant minutes. One of those three is not playing and our best shooter is out for the year. 13-3 at this point is damn good no matter how we looked getting there. We will win one or two we should lose and lose one or two we should win. I think we are probably a top 60-70 team.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ive accepted that ksu isnt very good. But any game on the road can be tough, and always good to beat the team stealing your local players. 

KState doesn't know how to finish games.  All of their losses the last month have been by 6 points or less. If they can learn to execute down the stretch, they could turn it around very quickly.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yea KState isn't great, but given the Big 10 is stacked this year (like 8 top 25 NET teams), they won't have a lot of opportunities to drop to Q3 which is nice.

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

Ford said Bell leads the team in points/rebounds per minute played and the coaches agreed he needs to play more minutes

not that i disagree, but at what billiken's expense would jimmy bell play more minutes?   i sure as heck am not taking out french and goodwin who are the heart and soul of this team, so who is giving up the minutes?

One thing I noticed was in the second half, almost every offensive set involved getting the ball to the post (either French, JBJ, or even Perkins), and having them try to beat their man at the post. It seemed like the sets were playing into GW's strategy of hack-a-Billiken.

Meanwhile, in the first half, when we built that big lead, we had a variety of set plays leading to jumpers in addition to the occasional post play. Why did we step away from what was working for us?

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

Ford said Bell leads the team in points/rebounds per minute played and the coaches agreed he needs to play more minutes

I think if Bell’s trend upward on free throws continues he is almost at 62 percent now trending up, Bell for French as the game is winding down to protect the lead with free throws is a better option than anyone on the bench.  Bell takes up a lot of space and will make it harder to score easy shots in the paint in the closing minutes plus a better rebounding option.

I would rather see Weaver in for Collins for offense and free throws at the end of games and Collins in for Weaver on defense.  Yuri’s foul shooting has been disappointing so far.

5 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

One thing I noticed was in the second half, almost every offensive set involved getting the ball to the post (either French, JBJ, or even Perkins), and having them try to beat their man at the post. It seemed like the sets were playing into GW's strategy of hack-a-Billiken.

Meanwhile, in the first half, when we built that big lead, we had a variety of set plays leading to jumpers in addition to the occasional post play. Why did we step away from what was working for us?

Ford said that they wanted to go inside to get more freethrows. It was a point of emphasis 

Jimmy Bell coulda/shoulda played more last night, the GW bigs were stiffs in Paar, Stallings and even Toro.  I don't see the same opportunity Saturday against Richmond.  And Jimmy Bell cannot stay with Obi Toppin or exterior players like Ryan Mikesell or Trey Landers.  Maybe Jordy Tshimanga.  Davidson is interior-weak but Brajkovic does step outside to shoot the three.

Was very happy for Bell's dunk and wanted that long-awaited shattered backboard to follow. Bell is a matchup issue given who we play and when they are playing.  By the way, that bullshite 'principle of verticality' doesn't seem to exist for Jimmy Bell.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He’s just got to shoot his way out of it like Perkins ;)

Ha. I don't disagree - he needs to stay aggressive.

Just odd how much praise an 11% shooting performance was getting after Perkins was getting roasted for shooting somewhat better than that.

41 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

- that dunk by Jimmy after accepting the pass was great and I hope a look of what will be

That was the first time Bell has has a power move in the post, with defenders on him, and finished. It was great to finally see that, and the entire team was excited to finally see that from him as well. If/when he continues to play like that, he will definetly see more minutes.

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not that i disagree, but at what billiken's expense would jimmy bell play more minutes?   i sure as heck am not taking out french and goodwin who are the heart and soul of this team, so who is giving up the minutes?

I have absolutely no problem with French playing 33 minutes instead of 36 minutes.  Certainly would alleviate the Hack-a-French if Bell played a few more minutes in the second half.  

CBFan likes this

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I suppose it depends on the opponent but against a team like GW that doesn't have imposing post players, why couldn't Bell have taken 6 of French's 36 minutes? 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ha. I don't disagree - he needs to stay aggressive.

Just odd how much praise an 11% shooting performance was getting after Perkins was getting roasted for shooting somewhat better than that.

He did pick up the distributing slack left by a poor game from Yuri and he was pretty damn good on defense. 

Pistol likes this

Observations from the cheap seats:

• 23 points in the first 8 minutes
  • 40 points in the last 32 minutes 
  • J Good on the fast break,  slightly ahead of only GW defender, Jacobs trailing. All he had to do was drop it off for a dunk. Instead he takes it himself, gets fouled, misses both
  • Has is missing so many easy shots. His touch has abandoned him; head-scratching
  • Bell needs to play more. Teams won't double him. He can bully guys. Something like 15-20 minutes. Get Has down to the 32 minute range.
  • Hargrove was awful in limited time. Threw up a totally wild shot, missed an open layup off an O-Rebound. His offense is ahead of his defense, but I don't play Ford for quick hook 
  • Weaver is in there to make shots. Ford won't keep him out thee unless he's getting and making open 3s
  • Ford really likes Jacobs' defense. Jacobs was terrible on offense, missed a killer front-end, but had 4 steals and generally guards both the ball and off-the-ball well. 
  • Perkins has scored efficiently in 4 of last 6 games. Unlike Jacobs, who seems doomed as a good game/bad game guy for at least this season, Parkins is rounding into form. I can see him leading the team in scoring the rest of the season and being the difference between 9-9 and 13-5.