GDT: GW

SLU_Nick

6 hours ago, bgtholt88 said:

I think you have to win 2 of these 4 minimum: @Richmond, Dayton, @Dayton, VCU

Plus redemption vs Duq at home.

That’s if you’re looking at who we beat... we still have to at least show up in the conference tournament. 22 wins with a quick conference tourney exit and we got no chance even if we hit the above goal. 23-24 Total wins without winning the conference and maybe we get in if all the above plays out.

The A10 is better than last year. But I don’t see tons of bids given. 3, 4 tops. Might depend on where Dayton lands. But last year the A10 had 2 teams represented in the field......

Honestly I’m in a bad place since losing Jimmerson. I felt like with him we had all the boxes checked (minus FTs). It made me think we could swing games from multiple angles and make us more of a real team. Good ball handlers, good big men, Perkins/Jacobs have their threats, Goodwin an all around player who can get to the rim and a deep ball from Jimmy to round it out. Play hard defense and put the right guys in for the foul shots late in games and we could compete.

Now i feel like we are deflated. I feel like we are gonna to have to scrap to win. Guys are going to be tired. This game really sucked to watch even though we won. Maybe we pull off some big wins and look like we can win with a plan, and I’ll buck up. Otherwise this year I don’t see tournament. If we do, I’ll be pleasantly shocked to get out of round 1. Don’t hate! I love this team and we have some great athletes. Just going to be tough.

Good post I agree with everything.

Losing Thatch is also big there were many defensive break downs last night where Thatch could have been inserted to defend the dribble drives Jacobs, Weaver and Collins struggled with and gave up too many easy points.

Offensively Hargrove should be the one that should be able to make up for Jimerson’s points however it is not happening yet.  On the shoot around last night Hargrove was 4 feet behind the 3 point line and consistently hitting practice 3 point shots but he does not attempt any probably because of the quick hook from the coach.

The coach mentioned post game about playing Bell more and I agree he had a confident look on his face and he now finishes most of his bucket and a foul shot plays.

It is time to change things up play 9 players, Hankton can come in a few minutes a game to rest someone.

The offense has not flowed well for the last 4 games more Bell, Weaver and Hargrove mixed in with a little Hankton is needed.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Good post I agree with everything.

Losing Thatch is also big there were many defensive break downs last night where Thatch could have been inserted to defend the dribble drives Jacobs, Weaver and Collins struggled with and gave up too many easy points.

Offensively Hargrove should be the one that should be able to make up for Jimerson’s points however it is not happening yet.  On the shoot around last night Hargrove was 4 feet behind the 3 point line and consistently hitting practice 3 point shots but he does not attempt any probably because of the quick hook from the coach.

The coach mentioned post game about playing Bell more and I agree he had a confident look on his face and he now finishes most of his bucket and a foul shot plays.

It is time to change things up play 9 players, Hankton can come in a few minutes a game to rest someone.

The offense has not flowed well for the last 4 games more Bell, Weaver and Hargrove mixed in with a little Hankton is needed.

I couldn’t agree more.

-Hargrove yanked too fast. I know it was tighter game than it should have been. But let him make a mistake and still play a couple of minutes.

- French can guard outside of the paint. Let Bell get the minutes.

- Weaver could make a difference on offense.

- Forgot about thatch in my post. Agreed.

- Yes, throw Hankton in for a couple of minutes. He plays smart. Especially in a game against GW that is not deep and in foul trouble.

i think the game last night went 4+ minutes without a FG. Just ugly. We have to find ourselves. Because taking turns at the foul line is a pretty dangerous path for us.

Some positives from last night.  Turnovers were way down from the UMass game, at 9.  At 60%, our FT% for the season actually improved.  Eight blocks, 5 for French, and 9 steals are solid.  GW was credited with only 2 fast break points. We held a 32% 3FG% team to 25%.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Some positives from last night.  Turnovers were way down from the UMass game, at 9.  At 60%, our FT% for the season actually improved.  Eight blocks, 5 for French, and 9 steals are solid.  GW was credited with only 2 fast break points. 

Another positive to me was the play of Jacobs on offense. He continued to be more aggressive. Although he missed a few shots when driving the ball, he got good looks.  

HoosierPal and SLU1818 like this

9 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

If we want an at large we probably have to win 2 of the next 3

Agreed. I'm like most in that it's hard to see it happening given the way we have been playing since Jimerson went down. We are a different team without him. My one hope is just like any season there are ups and down and maybe we've just been in a down funk the past 6 games and are due to break-out. Certainly odd that our funk would have coincided with our best shooter getting hurt but you gotta hope for something.

20 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agreed. I'm like most in that it's hard to see it happening given the way we have been playing since Jimerson went down. We are a different team without him. My one hope is just like any season there are ups and down and maybe we've just been in a down funk the past 6 games and are due to break-out. Certainly odd that our funk would have coincided with our best shooter getting hurt but you gotta hope for something.

Totally agree that Jimerson's value to the team has been emphasized since he went down.  But we did beat KSU without him and Thatch, so the pieces are still there.  We are obviously having trouble adapting to how teams are playing us.

1 minute ago, Billboy1 said:

This team is seriously lacking on team defense. We can score all the points but have to keep other team from scoring.  The second half last night was one of the worst defensive efforts in quite awhile. Too many drives to the hoop with no opposition.

We seemed really tired and unfocused in the second half. A bad combo.

After jumping out to a 23-7 lead, including hitting its first 4 3-pointers, SLU (13-3, 2-1) struggled the rest of the game vs. GW (6-9).  Coach Travis Ford reportedly blamed himself for playing players too many minutes, and I do think he is correct there.  He needs to deep six that quick trigger, the yank, make a mistake and get yanked, for multiple reasons, the primary one being SLU no longer has the deep bench to sustain the yanks.  The yank is the product of coach's emotion in real time.  

Refs called too many fouls, way too many touch fouls, destroyed the rhythm of the game.  At one point in the second half the fans at the game could be heard on the Fox Sports Midwest telecast audibly booing the refs all the way through a change of possession.  At another point, a fans chant of "Let them play" could be heard.  The touch fouls, the obvious bailouts, were coupled with a miss of traveling in the lane on GW in the second half, and a missed possession when GW clearly kicked the ball out of bounds at mid-court.  There was a second half phantom bailout on a GW missed 3, when the ref called Hasahn French for allegedly not giving the shooter a landing spot.  That was a bailout, and that call should not have been made. GW's late comeback was fueled by making at least 10 straight free throws, points scored with the clock stopped.  Then Perkins got mugged at the other end, no call. I take the A10 zebras as a given.  That doesn't mean I accept them.  The refs are one of the biggest perennial, largely unabated negatives in this league.  Just when I think there might be some at least limited improvement, a debacle whistle-a-thon like last night surfaces.

I think the half court, slow down, is a product of SLU again having a reduced bench, playing only 8 players.  And of those 8, Weaver played 13 minutes, Bell 12 and Hargrove only 8.  Hargrove did not play in the second half until very late, when Coach Ford was forced to remove Hasahn French to avoid GW's Hack-a-Hasahn Defense. The reduced bench is due to the Jimerson season ending broken foot and the Thatch malady.  Both are missed.  Hargrove has talent and Coach Ford needs to play him more minutes. I say play Hargrove more of those minutes, more than Bell.  This is SLU, where 13 man scholarship rosters morph into last year's Magnificent Seven and this year's Elite Eight.

Free Throws, the SLU broken record:  SLU was 21-35, 60.0%. Buy hey, even 60% is better than the team's season 57% percentage.  Another poster suggested a breakdown into 2 categories, Goodwin and French were a combined 9-19;  the rest of the team was 12-16.  After hitting his first 2 FT's, French went 2-8 the rest of the game.  After hitting his first 2 FT's, Goodwin went 3-7 the rest of the game.

3-Point:  SLU started 4-4, missed its last 8 to finish 4-12.

Hasahn French, a true warrior, despite yet another double double, 12 points, 14 rebounds in 36 minutes, had a tough night shooting bunnies, was only 4-12 from the floor, and Has' shots are all near or close to the basket.  Ironman Jordan Goodwin, the heart and soul of this team, had 20 points in 38 minutes and 8 rebounds.  Smooth swingman Javonte Perkins had 17 points in 25 minutes, reduced due to having to be removed with 4 fouls.  Coach Ford wants the ball in Perkins' hands at crunch time, as he hit 7-8 FT's.  Perkins has drawn comparisons as a poor man's Harry Rogers, has a similar body type.

Next on the docket is at Richmond on Saturday.  SLU will no doubt be the underdog.  The Wiz will tell us how much of an underdog.  Richmond is a prime competitor for one of the coveted Top 4 slots, key as they provide the Thursday byes in the all important A10 Tournament.  Put GW in the rear view mirror and prepare for the Spiders and their Princeton Offense.  GW is a prime candidate for the Wednesday PIG in Brooklyn.

David King likes this

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Two thoughts: 

1) with our athleticism we have to run to win. I've got a fever, we need more Hargrove. 

2) In our half court offense kick outs have to stressed. We had a lot of wide open shot opportunities last night. 

Agree, I'm surprised that Ford is content to walk the ball up the court most of the time and run half court sets, that doesn't really play into this teams strengths. Also surprised we don't press more to try and speed teams up, the slow pace of play really limits Yuri's effectiveness IMO. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Agree, I'm surprised that Ford is content to walk the ball up the court most of the time and run half court sets, that doesn't really play into this teams strengths. Also surprised we don't press more to try and speed teams up, the slow pace of play really limits Yuri's effectiveness IMO. 

This team isn’t great on the fast break either (based solely on my eye test) 

https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1215089181388656640?s=20

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Two thoughts: 

1) with our athleticism we have to run to win. I've got a fever, we need more Hargrove. 

2) In our half court offense kick outs have to stressed. We had a lot of wide open shot opportunities last night. 

5 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

It looks like Coach is settling into his comfort 8 man rotation.  I agree that last night, the minutes maybe could have been spread a little more, with Bell getting only 12, Weaver 13 and Hargrove 8.  We certainly aren't running like we did earlier, and is that due to the heavier minutes by Collins, French, and Goodwin?

Not only do we walk it up, but we stand around a lot looking for that one opening.  I'm not sure what the average 'hold' is on a player with the ball, but our offense moves the ball slower than most.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Another positive to me was the play of Jacobs on offense. He continued to be more aggressive. Although he missed a few shots when driving the ball, he got good looks.  

41 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Agreed. Jacobs needs to keep it up. Love his aggressiveness 

Jacobs was 1-9 from the field, 1-4 from 3 (0-5 inside the arc), and 0-1 from the line. I agree that he was asserting himself more but he has to make at least a few of those.

HenryB and cgeldmacher like this

59 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agreed. I'm like most in that it's hard to see it happening given the way we have been playing since Jimerson went down. We are a different team without him.

Its amazing to actually see the difference in how defense will play you if you have a shooter or not.  You cant have a defender all the way out on jimerson and still double team french, w/o having at least one person wide open.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

A stretch four like Jamison Battle from GW is exactly the kind of player that would be a good fit for us. An impressive freshman.

Id take him and nelson in a heartbeat 

during the final stretch, I would have put Weaver in.  I like his quick hands, ball control, and shooting ability.  I know his 3 point Defense is weak which is probably why Ford left him out. 

Just now, Pistol said:

Jacobs was 1-9 from the field, 1-4 from 3 (0-5 inside the arc), and 0-1 from the line. I agree that he was asserting himself more but he has to make at least a few of those.

Just now, Pistol said:

Yeah, Weaver needed a few more minutes and Jacobs a bit less. Weaver played well the few games after GJ's injury. He needs to come in and chuck up 4-5 3s a game to open things up, like he did in the KState and Cookman games.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

Just now, MichaelC said:

I think that's the role Ford had envisioned for Hankton but for whatever reason it hasn't worked out. 

has to be.  

As I have noted on this board prior, KC seems to hate Post contact.  He seems to prefer playing outside.