2020 A10 Games and Comments

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

The DOOR IS OPEN. Lets go BOYS.   Good to see Francis keep rolling after missing the month from the injury in our game.  If we face Rich lets beat them at full strength. 

Francis was injured near the end of our game with Richmond.  We beat them at their full strength the 1st time around.

An A-10 Fan:  I appreciate your candor and politeness —— respect man.

Duquesne hasn’t played ANYBODY outside of what the A10 gave them.  I don’t recall but did you get Dayton twice?  Rhode Island twice?  VCU twice?  Davidson twice?  Yes, you got us twice but unless you add one or two of the others mentioned, your schedule is crap compliments of the A10.  But they don’t know that when they do the schedules.  The Bonnies got no one in double-up games.  So it goes sometimes.  

Who was your best out of conference opponent?  Princeton?  Ivy don’t cut it.  Lamar?  Lamar Who?  UAB?  Marshall?  Plus you’ve further down the pecking order —— if Kentucky or Michigan State won’t come to Dayton or Saint Louis, they sure as hell ain’t coming to Palumbo.  And you yourself acknowledged PPG Arena ain’t no home for you guys.  Besides, the 14,000 seats will be filled by the opposition and it won’t be a home game either.

Duquesne hasn’t been in the Dance since what, 1979?  It really hasn’t committed to big time spending on athletics either.  You had a great year against inferior competition. Enjoy it.  You kicked our sizable arse twice.  You could be good next year too —- the whole team save Steele is back.  But you have to play somebody which is hard to do.  Dayton had to go to Maui to get Kansas.  To Chicago to get Colorado.  To Phoenix to get St. Mary’s.  We had to go to Birmingham to get Auburn.  When you are doing that and winning, then you have something.

You had a great year for who you played.  Still we’re all off to the NIT or CBI.  The rich won’t share the pot.  

8 hours ago, An A-10 fan said:

Dambrot, is actually a pretty good, humble guy.

Also, all A-10 games have "homer" announcers. I believe both of those guys are Duquesne grads.  I know the African American announcer defintely is.  I believe the other guy got his law degree there. Yes, Ellis Cannon is a lawyer.

Dambrot used the N-word...

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dambrot used the N-word...

So he used that word 20 years ago in an ill-advised manner that cost him a coaching job.

So that makes him a terrible person who should be shunned for the rest of his life?

Wow!!

The cancel culture has struck again.

9 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

So he used that word 20 years ago in an ill-advised manner that cost him a coaching job.

So that makes him a terrible person who should be shunned for the rest of his life?

Wow!!

I understand why Central Michigan felt they needed to fire Dambrot but I also understand that the players themselves would have run through a brick wall for him and understood he was speaking cluelessly, not with malice.  He's served his time for being clueless, he's a good coach and his players respect him.  Meanwhile there are entitled a$#holes in the profession who are adored by millions of fans.  C'est la vie.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I understand why Central Michigan felt they needed to fire Dambrot but I also understand that the players themselves would have run through a brick wall for him and understood he was speaking cluelessly, not with malice.  He's served his time for being clueless, he's a good coach and his players respect him.  Meanwhile there are entitled a$#holes in the profession who are adored by millions of fans.  C'est la vie.

Well said.

Ford seems to be a decent coach, but I would take Dambrot over him.

Look at their records. Dambrot's is better.

The 3-4 posters on here who have mentioned that Dambrot is a terrible person are misinformed.

He didn't have to come to Duquesne when he was doing well at Akron.  That's not really that big a step up for a guy who was 58 when he changed jobs. 

He came to DU because he remembers as a child that the Dukes were a top eastern program (during the late 40s through early 70s, look it up).

His dad played there in the 50s when they always excelled in the NIT (when that tournament was a big deal).  Coming to Duquesne is like family to him.  

The Duquesne fans (the few that are left are 40 years of losing) love him.

He is also close to LeBron and if LeBron thought this man were racist, he would not have a lifelong friendship with Dambrot.

1 minute ago, An A-10 fan said:

Well said.

The 3-4 posters on here who have mentioned that Dambrot is a terrible person are misinformed.

He didn't have to come to Duquesne when he was doing well at Akron.  That's not really that big a step up for a guy who was 58 when he changed jobs. 

He came to DU because he remembers as a child that the Dukes were a top eastern program (during the late 40s through early 70s, look it up).

His dad played there in the 50s when they always excelled in the NIT (when that tournament was a big deal).  Coming to Duquesne is like family to him.  

He is also close to LeBron and if LeBron thought this man were racist, he would not have a lifelong friendship with Dambrot.

I don't put much stock into so and so being a better coach once you get to this level.  All the teams in the top half of the A10 are led by good coaches  Your squad is a tough matchup for us.  Your bigs nullify our inside game and your guards are hard to keep up with.  There will be years where we have the matchup advantage.  It is what it is.

13 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Well said.

Nah give me Ford. 

If Dambrot can sustain success at Duq once his MAC exodus players are gone i’ll reconsider. Hughes, Weathers, Steele, Dunn Martin all from the MAC when Dambrot was there. 

I recall Dambrot’s old man/dad went to Duquesne and was successful so there is some history there.  Duquesne being big way back when is nothing —— we won the NIT in those same dark ages.  Bob Lanier at St. Bonaventure.  La Salle with Billy Cannon.  Calvin Murphy at Niagara.  Almost all old schools have a good skeleton or two in their closets to pull out and say ‘remember when?’  

Duquesne’s situation is tougher than some but not unique.  Saint Louis isn’t the biggest program in the state; Mizzou is.  But we are at least the biggest in our city whereas Duquesne is not even that what with Pitt.  Across the state,  Dukes basketball lags behind Penn State, Villanova, Temple, even Bucknell, and maybe St. Joes.  It’s par with La Salle.  Bobby Morris might have even more recent success than you guys.

It will be interesting to see how Dambrot fares going forward.  He was always successful at Akron and he is my COY for the A10 right now.  But Duquesne is a ‘death sentence’ for most —- Ferry, Everhart and all others have dropped off the earth when done there.  So too Saint Louis so there is much in common there also.

Duquesne is going to have to up their commitment to athletics to stay on top or even compete.  Much like us, few are going to say’Yeah, Duquesne is where I want to go to play basketball.’

54 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I recall Dambrot’s old man/dad went to Duquesne and was successful so there is some history there.  Duquesne being big way back when is nothing —— we won the NIT in those same dark ages.  Bob Lanier at St. Bonaventure.  La Salle with Billy Cannon.  Calvin Murphy at Niagara.  Almost all old schools have a good skeleton or two in their closets to pull out and say ‘remember when?’  

Duquesne’s situation is tougher than some but not unique.  Saint Louis isn’t the biggest program in the state; Mizzou is.  But we are at least the biggest in our city whereas Duquesne is not even that what with Pitt.  Across the state,  Dukes basketball lags behind Penn State, Villanova, Temple, even Bucknell, and maybe St. Joes.  It’s par with La Salle.  Bobby Morris might have even more recent success than you guys.

It will be interesting to see how Dambrot fares going forward.  He was always successful at Akron and he is my COY for the A10 right now.  But Duquesne is a ‘death sentence’ for most —- Ferry, Everhart and all others have dropped off the earth when done there.  So too Saint Louis so there is much in common there also.

Duquesne is going to have to up their commitment to athletics to stay on top or even compete.  Much like us, few are going to say’Yeah, Duquesne is where I want to go to play basketball.’

A10 guy was only bringing up Duquesne past explain WHY Dambrot took the job - which I appreciated.
Good points about the need to fund and support athletic programs.  As to SLU, Fr Biondi is gone.  Dr. C has been involved. New day for us.

Well I’d say the A10 is a step up from the Valley and consequently the MAC as well.  Dambrot had a nice gig at Akron; his change to Duquesne likely involved old family ties, in the same region, etc.  At 58, I doubt he is interested in moving to LA and restarting UCLA ala Cronin.

3 hours ago, An A-10 fan said:

Wow!!

Did I say any of that? You really jumped to defensive mode quick. Hmmm..

17 hours ago, An A-10 fan said:

Here is an interesting twist...

With wins AT VCU, SLU and St. Bonnie, not to mention neural court wins over(14-12) Princeton, (9-23, 0-18 Conference)Indiana State, (176 Net ranked)Radford and (166 Net ranked)Austin Peay...

...as well as losses to (179 Net ranked) Marshall and (212 Net ranked)  UAB, it's a stretch to say that Duquense is even on the CBI bubble.

VeniceMenace likes this

26 minutes ago, David King said:

...as well as losses to (179 Net ranked) Marshall and (212 Net ranked)  UAB, it's a stretch to say that Duquense is even on the CBI bubble.

That’s why they’re on the verge of falling out of the top 100 of the NCAA Net Rankings....a few spots behind even Spumac (Missouri), you know you’re doing really bad when that happens.

David King likes this

Regular Season Ford since he became our head coach:

Year One: 11-20 (6-12)

Year Two: 16-15 (9-9)

Year Three: 19-12 (10-8)

Year Four: 23-8 (12-6) if we beat Bona

Next year is looking like the year where we truly break into the top tier, get some big name recognition wins, and get a good seed in the NCAAT. Great job by Ford to turn this program around. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Well I’d say the A10 is a step up from the Valley and consequently the MAC as well.  Dambrot had a nice gig at Akron; his change to Duquesne likely involved old family ties, in the same region, etc.  At 58, I doubt he is interested in moving to LA and restarting UCLA ala Cronin.

Agreed.  Hopefully he can turn Duquesne into a perennial winner as I don't see us leaving the A10 or the A10 shrinking in numbers. Better teams/programs are good for everyone

15 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Regular Season Ford since he became our head coach:

Year One: 11-20 (6-12)

Year Two: 16-15 (9-9)

Year Three: 19-12 (10-8)

Year Four: 23-8 (12-6) if we beat Bona

Next year is looking like the year where we truly break into the top tier, get some big name recognition wins, and get a good seed in the NCAAT. Great job by Ford to turn this program around. 

Absolute home run hire and I never thought I’d be saying that.