2020 A10 Games and Comments

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

Carter's take has another mistake...we would not be 5th if all 3 win Saturday...we would be 6th 

ill take either 3rd or 6th.  the longer we wait to play dayton is fine with me.

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Beating Dayton after beating Bona (maybe twice?) would put us at mid to low 40s in NET. I think that gives us a great shout

Oh make no bones about it, if we beat Dayton, and don't make it, then we have a strong finish, down two starter-level players to injury, beat the #3 team in the nation, and come one miracle shot away in OT from having taken the season series from said team.

Anyone that doesn't put us in the tourney after that should be jailed.

Every magical season has that one memorable moment.  Now, I know that if we won the A-10 tournament without beating Dayton, the Championship game would be the "moment", but I want to have that moment on the road the the Championship that is magical.  We came, oh so close, to beating Dayton this year.  I would love to get that shot in the semis.  Plus, it is probably the only path to an At-Large should we fail to win the whole damn thing.

Really all it would take is for the officials to start calling the obvious moving screen Obi Toppin sets nearly every offensive set.  He would probably play 10 minutes on the court the whole game.  Anyone know which conference's officials will be doing the A-10 tourney?

Here is an interesting twist.

Duquesne fans need to root for a SLU win over the Bonnies (after the Dukes possibly beat Richmond tonight) while SLU fans need to root against the Dukes for the Bills to have a chance to finish 4th in the league. A Dukes win and Bonnie loss gives the Dukes a double A-10 bye.  A Dukes loss and Bonnie loss gives SLU a double-bye.

Also, contrary to popular belief by a couple of regular posters on this board who slammed me for ONLY cheering for the Dukes (and not the A-10 in general as I have claimed), I really do have mixed feelings about my Dukes winning against Richmond. As a DU fan, I really want them to win, HOWEVER, I would hate to see a win by them over Richmond cost the Spiders an NCAA at-large berth which they deserve.  But according to the bracket experts, that's exactly what will happen.  It shouldn't be that way. A road loss to a 22-win team should not cost Richmond a bid with their body of work to date.   They beat Wisconsin who is going to finish in a tie for first in the Big 10, the deepest conference in the NCAA.

The "experts" also say Duquesne has no chance for a bid, without winning the A-10 tourney, despite having a chance to go 23-8 in the regular season.  

With wins AT VCU, SLU and St. Bonnie, not to mention neural court wins over Princeton, Indiana State, Radford and Austin Peay,  the Dukes still only have an average computer rating of around 85.  That's bull crap.   It's not their fault VMI, Air Force, Loyola Marymount, and Columbia sucked this year.  Those teams are not traditional powerhouses, but they are not usually the doormats they are this year.

Duquesne has not played a single game on its home court all year.  That should be taken into consideration when it comes to their computer ranking.  I think the teams in the A-10 are just as good as the Big East and yet the A-10 is only getting 1-2 teams in the Big Dance and the Big East is getting at least 7 teams.   Dayton, a healthy Rhode Island and a healthy Richmond are as good as Seton Hall and Villanova  and Creighton. I don't care what the computer rankings claim.

I don't understand how a conference with FIVE 20-win teams that plays a pretty decent OC schedule with 40 percent of their OC games on the road (that collectively goes 57 games over .500) and yet the Bracketology experts keep saying Dayton is the only sure thing. 

And of course, the Flyers should be a No. 1 seed, but they are only being projected as a 2 seed.

moytoy12 and SLU_Lax like this

1 hour ago, An A-10 fan said:

Here is an interesting twist.

Duquesne fans need to root for a SLU win over the Bonnies (after the Dukes possibly beat Richmond tonight) while SLU fans need to root against the Dukes for the Bills to have a chance to finish 4th in the league. A Dukes win and Bonnie loss gives the Dukes a double A-10 bye.  A Dukes loss and Bonnie loss gives SLU a double-bye.

Also, contrary to popular belief by a couple of regular posters on this board who slammed me for ONLY cheering for the Dukes (and not the A-10 in general as I have claimed), I really do have mixed feelings about my Dukes winning against Richmond. As a DU fan, I really want them to win, HOWEVER, I would hate to see a win by them over Richmond cost the Spiders an NCAA at-large berth which they deserve.  But according to the bracket experts, that's exactly what will happen.  It shouldn't be that way. A road loss to a 22-win team should not cost Richmond a bid with their body of work to date.   They beat Wisconsin who is going to finish in a tie for first in the Big 10, the deepest conference in the NCAA.

The "experts" also say Duquesne has no chance for a bid, without winning the A-10 tourney, despite having a chance to go 23-8 in the regular season.  

With wins AT VCU, SLU and St. Bonnie, not to mention neural court wins over Princeton, Indiana State, Radford and Austin Peay,  the Dukes still only have an average computer rating of around 85.  That's bull crap.   It's not their fault VMI, Air Force, Loyola Marymount, and Columbia sucked this year.  Those teams are not traditional powerhouses, but they are not usually the doormats they are this year.

Duquesne has not played a single game on its home court all year.  That should be taken into consideration when it comes to their computer ranking.  I think the teams in the A-10 are just as good as the Big East and yet the A-10 is only getting 1-2 teams in the Big Dance and the Big East is getting at least 7 teams.   Dayton, a healthy Rhode Island and a healthy Richmond are as good as Seton Hall and Villanova  and Creighton. I don't care what the computer rankings claim.

I don't understand how a conference with FIVE 20-win teams that plays a pretty decent OC schedule with 40 percent of their OC games on the road (that collectively goes 57 games over .500) and yet the Bracketology experts keep saying Dayton is the only sure thing. 

And of course, the Flyers should be a No. 1 seed, but they are only being projected as a 2 seed.

What Duquesne has done this year has been pretty incredible, especially given their “home” game situation. Also agree they’re getting stiffed by the computers.  Kudos to Dambrot and the Dukes. 

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Let’s go spiders!

Of course, I say Let's go Dukes!

But I understand your sentiment.

Also, Dambrot said finishing 4th in the league is not that necessary.  He would rather not have a 7-day break between games with a double bye.

And as I said before, I would hate to see Richmond not get a bid if they lose to DU.  That would be wrong.  

The A-10 should be getting 3-4 bids.  The computer rankings are totally rigged.

15 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Of course, I say Let's go Dukes!

But I understand your sentiment.

Also, Dambrot said finishing 4th in the league is not that necessary.  He would rather not have a 7-day break between games with a double bye.

And as I said before, I would hate to see Richmond not get a bid if they lose to DU.  That would be wrong.  

The A-10 should be getting 3-4 bids.  The computer rankings are totally rigged.

The NET is a self-perpetuating Power 5 + 1 abomination, even worse than the RPI, which was bad enough itself.