2020 A10 Games and Comments

29 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Okay, but if three teams are tied, as the question stated, isn't the tiebreaker who has the best record against the other teams they're tied among?

Duquesne and Rhody can only tie with 6 losses.  Either SLU or St. Bonnie will also have 6 losses.  So it goes to the second level for tie breakers.

Here is what Chapley posted.

NextYearBill likes this

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the UD v URI game and the color announcer is as pro URI as the clowns we had at URI.  Everything is analyzed from the viewpoint of URI so CBSSN's lower level announcers are just as bad as ESPN's.

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Duquesne and Rhody can only tie with 6 losses.  Either SLU or St. Bonnie will also have 6 losses.  So it goes to the second level for tie breakers.

Here is what Chapley posted.

Im confused by the senerio of:
If SLU wins & URI loses and DUQ wins.

All three teams are then tied with the same conference record of 12-6
Duq beat us twice.
We beat URI
URI beat Duq

If the next tie breaker is overall winning percentage.
We will be 23-8
Duq 22-8
URI 20-10

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Duq beat us twice.
We beat URI
URI beat Duq

We will be 23-8
Duq 22-8
URI 20-10

On head to head, 2-0 trumps 1-0. 

On a three way tie, after head to head, the next step would be to use the record against conference opponents in descending order, which would mean starting with Dayton.

And we know that the NCAA doesn't count our Maryville win.  I don't know if the A10 does or not, but it doesn't matter in this scenario.

Winning percentage is never a tiebreaker in the A10.  You take the three tied teams and Duquesne is 2 and 1 .667; Rhode is 1 and 1. .500; and we are 1 and 2.  Duquesne wins it.  Now with the Dukes out of it, we beat Rhodey head to head, we win tiebreaker.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Winning percentage is never a tiebreaker in the A10.  You take the three tied teams and Duquesne is 2 and 1 .667; Rhode is 1 and 1. .500; and we are 1 and 2.  Duquesne wins it.  Now with the Dukes out of it, we beat Rhodey head to head, we win tiebreaker.

Thank you.  Go Richmond. 

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Rich over Duq by 2

RI over UMass by 3

interesting.  Ones playing well, the others playing not so well. The not so well team is on the road. I guess 3 isnt a lot, but almost feels like a toss. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

interesting.  Ones playing well, the others playing not so well. The not so well team is on the road. I guess 3 isnt a lot, but almost feels like a toss. 

Overall ...RI ...B+..........UMass... C

Trending...RI...B..........UMass...B-

UMass has closed the gap...see trending...just not enough

Chances of RI winning 57%...That 43% for UMass is just enough to give them a decent chance for a win.

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If standings remain, VCU against Umass will be the most exciting 8-9 match up in a long time. 

It's not a bad bracket placement, either.  Dayton would seem most vulnerable in their first game or their second.  The #8, #9, and #4, #5 seeds are probably the most likely to win the tournament, other than Dayton.  I know that seems counter-intuitive but I think being the team to knock off Dayton will be a big boost to whichever team does it.  Dayton absolutely bites at the A-10 tournament.  I think they have one win since they made the A-10 championship in 2015.  That is 1-4 the last 4 tourneys. 

28 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

It's not a bad bracket placement, either.  Dayton would seem most vulnerable in their first game or their second.  The #8, #9, and #4, #5 seeds are probably the most likely to win the tournament, other than Dayton.  I know that seems counter-intuitive but I think being the team to knock off Dayton will be a big boost to whichever team does it.  Dayton absolutely bites at the A-10 tournament.  I think they have one win since they made the A-10 championship in 2015.  That is 1-4 the last 4 tourneys. 

Meh.  Those past Dayton teams were not THIS Dayton team.

Also after dismantling Rhody last night they seem to be back to trending up.  They hit a little lull in late January - mid February where they were still winning, but not as impressive.  The last two wins over Davidson & at Rhody have been much more impressive.

I think SLU matches up well, but Dayton is the prohibitive favorite to win the A10 tournament.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

-interesting that "winning percentage is never a tiebreaker" and then you mention winning percentages

36 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Dayton is leading the NATION in FG%, 1% ahead of Gonzaga.  I think that is important.

Because Cowboy ----- Aquinas put up SEASON won/loss percentages.  Those are never a part of the equation because some team might play all Top Ten NETs and another all Bottom Feeders like St. Mary's of the Blind.  Why would a win against Maryville matter in any conference determinations?  Or High Point for that matter?  

It's simple, if two teams are tied, it's head-to-head.  Still tied, start at the top of the final conference standings and the team that beat the higher finishing opponent gets the break.  If still tied,coin flip.

If three or more teams are tied, its winning percentage IN THAT GROUPING.  When one drops out, you continue.  If one dropping out takes you back down to two teams tied, it's back to head-to-head.  And then the top-to-bottom review.  And then the coin flip.

5 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Duq beat us twice.
We beat URI
URI beat Duq

We will be 23-8
Duq 22-8
URI 20-10

Carter's take has another mistake...we would not be 5th if all 3 win Saturday...we would be 6th