2020 A10 Games and Comments

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

If was a UMASS fan, id be terrified that Tre Mitchell is hitting the transfer market at the end of this season 

why?  If im a Umass fan my fear is that he goes pro, not transfers.  He'll be leaving college most likely after next year anyway, and he knows his team will only get much better next year.  Plus im sure he has seen the attention Toppin has gotten in the same league at a similar position. 

Last night worked out close to perfect for SLU. The teams we've played 2x (Mass, Duquesne) both won. U Mass inching closer to top 135. SLU almost guaranteed a double-bye if it runs the table, thanks to the Bonnies loss. 

Don't look now but URI seems shaky, having lost 2 of 4, and almost losing to Fordham. They might lose their last three games (SLU, Dayton, and @UMass [who hasn't lost at home since 1/18]). Their top 30 defensive rating built on the sand that is opponents not being able to shoot 3s against them. That may just be a good luck factor. 

4 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Last night worked out close to perfect for SLU. The teams we've played 2x (Mass, Duquesne) both won. U Mass inching closer to top 135. SLU almost guaranteed a double-bye if it runs the table, thanks to the Bonnies loss. 

Don't look now but URI seems shaky, having lost 2 of 4, and almost losing to Fordham. They might lose their last three games (SLU, Dayton, and @UMass [who hasn't lost at home since 1/18]). Their top 30 defensive rating built on the sand that is opponents not being able to shoot 3s against them. That may just be a good luck factor. 

Sounds like Langevine and Downtin are both hurt.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

why?  If im a Umass fan my fear is that he goes pro, not transfers.  He'll be leaving college most likely after next year anyway, and he knows his team will only get much better next year.  Plus im sure he has seen the attention Toppin has gotten in the same league at a similar position. 

13 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

If was a UMASS fan, id be terrified that Tre Mitchell is hitting the transfer market at the end of this season 

Tre followed his Woodstock Academy prep school coach, Tony Bergeron, to Amherst.  Three other players are from Woodstock Academy on the roster; Walker, Weeks, and Santos.  I have zero information on Tre Mitchell's pathway for the future, but there is somewhat of an anchor for him, in Amherst.

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tre followed his Woodstock Academy prep school coach, Tony Bergeron, to Amherst.  Three other players are from Woodstock Academy on the roster; Walker, Weeks, and Santos.  I have zero information on Tre Mitchell's pathway for the future, but there is somewhat of an anchor for him, in Amherst.

Good for them.  A strong Umass is good for A10, they carry a strong name. Rather them be good than a list of other schools. 

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good for them.  A strong Umass is good for A10, they carry a strong name. Rather them be good than a list of other schools. 

Agreed. UMass has one of the highest ceilings of any team in the A-10. We need them in NCAA/NIT mix most years.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If I am Mitchell, and for that matter Jalen Crutcher, I'm declaring for the draft and going for the NBA evaluation.  Dropping back into school is always the open option.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also Rhode Island getting a 2 seed isnt very easy, actually pretty hard. 

They have us, @ud, and @umass. 

Which would you rather be right now?

12-3 URI: vs. SLU, vs. Dayton, @UMass

11-4 Richmond: vs. UMass, vs. Davidson, @Duquesne

Richmond owns the tiebreaker. I think I'd rather be in their spot, with those two particular games at home. Rhody has two tough home games and a sneaky tough road game to end the season. They're a little banged up. Richmond probably matches up better with those three teams than we do (If I were SLU, Richmond's schedule is one I absolutely wouldn't want).

What we're ignoring here is Bonaventure at 10-5. SLU, Davidson, and Duquesne are all chasing that spot but here's what it looks like for these four:

10-5 Bona: @La Salle, vs. St. Joe's, @SLU

9-6 Duquesne: vs. Mason, @VCU, vs. Richmond

9-6 Davidson: @Dayton, @Richmond, vs. VCU

9-6 SLU: @URI, @Mason, vs. Bona

Bonaventure's schedule has 2 easy wins left and we could see some shuffling in those 2-4 seeds. It's going to be way harder for one of the 9-6 teams to jump up to a top 4 seed than it is for Bonaventure to trade places with someone above them.

SLU probably needs Richmond to win out and VCU to wake up to have any chance.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Which would you rather be right now?

12-3 URI: vs. SLU, vs. Dayton, @UMass

11-4 Richmond: vs. UMass, vs. Davidson, @Duquesne

Richmond owns the tiebreaker. I think I'd rather be in their spot, with those two particular games at home. Rhody has two tough home games and a sneaky tough road game to end the season. They're a little banged up. Richmond probably matches up better with those three teams than we do (If I were SLU, Richmond's schedule is one I absolutely wouldn't want).

What we're ignoring here is Bonaventure at 10-5. SLU, Davidson, and Duquesne are all chasing that spot but here's what it looks like for these four:

10-5 Bona: @La Salle, vs. St. Joe's, @SLU

9-6 Duquesne: vs. Mason, @VCU, vs. Richmond

9-6 Davidson: @Dayton, @Richmond, vs. VCU

9-6 SLU: @URI, @Mason, vs. Bona

Bonaventure's schedule has 2 easy wins left and we could see some shuffling in those 2-4 seeds. It's going to be way harder for one of the 9-6 teams to jump up to a top 4 seed than it is for Bonaventure to trade places with someone above them.

SLU probably needs Richmond to win out and VCU to wake up to have any chance.

Imo, if we win out, we're the four seed.

Duq would be the biggest question mark, but Richmond needs every W at this point so I know that'll be a tough one for Duq.

Davidson might win one of those?

If Bona goes 2-1 losing to us, we'll be the 4th team.

Crewsorlose likes this

Just now, NH said:

Anyone have a sense for how serious the Langevine and Dowtin injuries are for Rhode Island?

https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20200226/rams-journal-despite-injuries-rhody-finds-way 

From the article: haven't seen much more than this.

"Jeff Dowtin limped to the team bus receiving electronic stimulation on a gimpy right ankle. Jacob Toppin wore an ice bag strapped to his left ankle.

Then there was Cyril Langevine, who wore the same black sweatsuit he featured on the visiting bench throughout the 76-75 thriller against Fordham. Langevine was ruled out due to an upper-body injury, missing just the fourth game of his college career.

“He hadn’t practiced,” URI coach David Cox said. “But he’s missed a number of practices this year and been able to play because he’s such a warrior. You just never know with his threshold.

“I trust our training staff and I trust him. He just couldn’t do it.”

Langevine endured one final test Wednesday afternoon and wasn’t cleared to dress. The unspecified injury occurred during Saturday’s 77-75 overtime loss at Davidson"

wgstl likes this

15 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20200226/rams-journal-despite-injuries-rhody-finds-way 

From the article: haven't seen much more than this.

"Jeff Dowtin limped to the team bus receiving electronic stimulation on a gimpy right ankle. Jacob Toppin wore an ice bag strapped to his left ankle.

Then there was Cyril Langevine, who wore the same black sweatsuit he featured on the visiting bench throughout the 76-75 thriller against Fordham. Langevine was ruled out due to an upper-body injury, missing just the fourth game of his college career.

“He hadn’t practiced,” URI coach David Cox said. “But he’s missed a number of practices this year and been able to play because he’s such a warrior. You just never know with his threshold.

“I trust our training staff and I trust him. He just couldn’t do it.”

Langevine endured one final test Wednesday afternoon and wasn’t cleared to dress. The unspecified injury occurred during Saturday’s 77-75 overtime loss at Davidson"

Thanks, sounds like both are day-to-day and could go either way for our game Sunday.

29 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Everything changes with a win on Sunday.  Billikens have been bad on the road: L's to Duquesne, Mass, Dayton, near L's to St. Joes and LaSalle. 

Beat URI, and suddenly the path to a four seed looks extremely feasible. 

SLU's best win was at Richmond though and actually playing Dayton close on the road was a pretty big accomplishment not "bad".  They been inconsistent on the road just like they've been inconsistent all year.  We've also put up some stinkers at home (losing to Duq, close-ish wins vs High Point, SIU, Maryville, Beth-Cook, UMass, & GW)

Littlebill likes this

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU's best win was at Richmond though and actually playing Dayton close on the road was a pretty big accomplishment not "bad".  They been inconsistent on the road just like they've been inconsistent all year.  We've also put up some stinkers at home (losing to Duq, close-ish wins vs High Point, SIU, Maryville, Beth-Cook, UMass, & GW)

kstate. 

-whom has a home game against ku tomorrow and could easily find themselves in the Net top 100 if they keep it close

If it the tournament started today, we'd be a 7-seed. Assuming favorites win in other games, our path would be: (10) GW, (2) URI, (3) Richmond, and (1) Dayton.

If we somehow get the 4-seed, which is a long shot but still possible, we'd be looking at Bonaventure or Duquesne in the first game as the 5-seed, then Dayton, then whoever comes out of the other side, where URI and Richmond would likely be the 2 and 3 seeds.

I'd probably prefer Bonaventure as the 5 in the second scenario, and neither of those seem like bad paths.

Obviously a lot can change but I'd like to avoid Duquesne, Davidson, and UMass.

Littlebill likes this