2020 A10 Games and Comments

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, David King said:

??? The Bills beat Richmond on the road 74-58 just a few weeks ago. I wonder what the score would have been if the two teams weren’t so evenly matched?

And Davidson beat us by double digits, but I still think we are better than them.  

More generally, I'm talking about our respective NCAA resumes. 

54 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

And Davidson beat us by double digits, but I still think we are better than them.  

More generally, I'm talking about our respective NCAA resumes. 

Watching the Davidson game one thing the broadcasters kept repeating stuck in my mind: they kept on saying that Davidson had won 85% of all games played at their facilities. If you consider the number of fouls the officials called against us, with or without reason, vs the much lower number of fouls called against Davidson, despite the constant mugging of French by 3 or 4 defenders, it is not unreasonable to say that those games were to some degree won by the refs at the Davidson arena, instead of the players. This is just my point of view.

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Everyone has to have espn+ by now, right?

I have it & just went thru the nightmare of slow internet & travel computer & am now set up to watch on the East coast - tech is not as easy as it used to be, or as safe

Overall league update:

As stated above, GW won a wild 4 OT game over Davidson. This ties them in the standings at 4-4 and gives GW the tiebreaker.

Dayton hung on against Duquesne on the road. A couple good signs here are that UD remains vulnerable to teams that play a relatively similar style to ours (per text from @TheChosenOne) and they have also shown a tendency to give up large leads this season - although they almost always hang on for the win. We might be able to give them a real game at their place next weekend.

Bonaventure needed OT to win at Fordham, and the game somehow had a final score of 62-55. Woof.

UMass put St. Joe's away in the second half at home, scoring 52 points. The 91-76 final moved UMass to 3-5 and left SJU winless in A10 play.

Duquesne, Richmond, Bonaventure, and SLU are now in a 4-way tie at 5-3 in the league. It's going to be a dogfight for that 4-seed.

Game of the week is the only A10 game on Friday, VCU at Rhode Island (6:00 Central, ESPN2). VCU can either cement the league's top 3 or get caught up in the mess right behind them in the standings. Tiebreakers, at-large bids - lot on the line for both teams.

Saturday's games are less interesting. A bunch of top-half teams need to take care of business against bottom-half teams: SLU at St. Joe's, Bonaventure vs. Mason, Dayton vs. Fordham, Richmond vs. GW, and - this one is not quite on theme because they're 4-4, but - Davidson vs. UMass. It's in the best interest of the league to avoid upsets that day. Still, I have no doubts that a combination of ugly basketball and poor officiating will keep SLU and St. Joe's close.

-I really like the Friday night A10 games, I hope a smart move by the conf, after tonight's  VCU @ Rhodey tilt, here's the rest of the schedule David @ VCU, David @ Bonney, VCU @ SLU, David @ SVU and ends on March 6 with Rich @ Duq and VCU @ David so a lot of opportunities to see the mouth breather JAG

Who are we pulling for tonight?  In terms of NET/Q1 wins, I assume VCU since we play them at home and URI on the road.  URI would still be a potential Q1 win for us even if they stumble tonight. Additionally, from an A10 standings perspective, a VCU win would be best for us (it puts us within a game of both VCU and URI).

21 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Who are we pulling for tonight?  In terms of NET/Q1 wins, I assume VCU since we play them at home and URI on the road.  URI would still be a potential Q1 win for us even if they stumble tonight. Additionally, from an A10 standings perspective, a VCU win would be best for us (it puts us within a game of both VCU and URI).

VCU. We need to get them above 30. They're at 33.

moytoy12 likes this