2020 A10 Games and Comments

Rhodey beats the Bonnies.  Dayton puts away Richmond.  Duquesne loses at Umass.  Things are starting to settle.  Dayton and VCU remain class of the league.  Rhodey second tier.  The #4 spot remains up for grabs.  

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Davidson:  I don't know.  They are still Grady and Gudmundsson and not that great.  They contained us sure but they have played St. Joe's, Fordham and Mason in their other wins and only Fordham was on the road.  I am wondering what they do Wednesday at Geedubya.  Geedubya is goofy right now ----- blow out Umass on the road, lose to Fordham, trash St. Joe's.  They also have to go to VCU, go to St. Bonaventure, host Rhode Island, go to Dayton, go to Richmond and close with no seniors on senior night against VCU.  That could be six losses and a 7 and 9 conference record.  All we can do is wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Davidson:  I don't know.  They are still Grady and Gudmundsson and not that great.  They contained us sure but they have played St. Joe's, Fordham and Mason in their other wins and only Fordham was on the road.  I am wondering what they do Wednesday at Geedubya.  Geedubya is goofy right now ----- blow out Umass on the road, lose to Fordham, trash St. Joe's.  They also have to go to VCU, go to St. Bonaventure, host Rhode Island, go to Dayton, go to Richmond and close with no seniors on senior night against VCU.  That could be six losses and a 7 and 9 conference record.  All we can do is wait and see.

imo george washington has some real talent.   like us though, it is very young talent and they really dont have a french or a goodwin to contain the youth.  i am betting in a couple of years they will be contending.  

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Don't discount Davidson's big, Bracovich (sp) and that kid Collins is a player as well. 

With one week before half time of the A10 schedule, here are the standings.  Even after our walk over win today v Fordham (yes I said it) we will still be in 8th due to tie breakers.

So right now the 4 byes for the tourney are Dayton, Rhody, Richmond and Duquesne.  The four invited to the Wed Pillow Fight are George Mason, Fordham, LaSalle and St. Joe.  Lots can and will change in the second half of the season.

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Even after our walk over win today v Fordham (yes I said it)...

Not buying this at all. From what I saw at Davidson, this season is just as likely to go off the rails as anything else.

11 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Not buying this at all. From what I saw at Davidson, this season is just as likely to go off the rails as anything else.

My take on Davidson is Ford did not make the adjustments necessary to beat Davidson's D. Yes, he made player moves in the second half, but we were still trying to force it to the inside way too much. I think he could have put JGood in the middle at the line and  let him run the offense from there. Or inserted Bell for some minutes to stop the assault on Has and JGood underneath. It will be interesting to see how Fordham defends us today. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

My take on Davidson is Ford did not make the adjustments necessary to beat Davidson's D. Yes, he made player moves in the second half, but we were still trying to force it to the inside way too much. I think he could have put JGood in the middle at the line and  let him run the offense from there. Or inserted Bell for some minutes to stop the assault on Has and JGood underneath. It will be interesting to see how Fordham defends us today. 

It’s not just pack the lane bc we dont make enough 3 pointers but it is prevent 5 footers bc we dont make enough 2 pointers either.  JGood has not shown an ability to hit the 10 to 15 footer so why should teams guard his shot at the line?  Yuri does not even attempt a 10-12 footer or floating layups.  French doesnt attempt anything beyond 5 foot and neither does Bell.  So playing Bell more and lining JGood up at the line would not have altered Davidson’s plan. 

1 hour ago, Compton said:

The game at Rhode Island is starting to loom pretty large on the calendar. They're really rolling right now. 

The rematch vs Duquesne and the home game against VCU are also important. If we can win those three, we will have beat VCU, URI, DUQ, and RICH who we might be on the bubble with

Thin margin. Road games are really tough. Let's see the team sweep in Philly and then we can talk again. I fear a let down, in part because the offense gets clogged-toilet syndrome. Yuri needs to step into some 3s. His shot looked good yesterday. Other teams will lose, who aren't Dayton (Flyers might go 17-1). 13-5 probably good enough for 3rd, but I see this team more at 11-7.

I think the Bills, Ford included, are still learning how to best mesh the parts without arguably their best offensive and best defensive players. Weaver and Perkins are coming on as other teams take Hasahn out of his game. It was good to see Goodwin assert himself yesterday. There is light and life in this team.

Here's a trend ---- in the past two games, French has scored 6 and 5 points against Davidson and Fordham respectively.  Five games in to the conference season and the book is out ..... pack it in, limit French, protect the boards and force SLU to shoot from some distance.

By now, you know my thoughts on Davidson's front line.  Still, the result was what it was and Davidson followed McKillop's game strategy to a tee.  Then Fordham, with no discernible front line, accomplished the same.  The major difference was no one really put a body on Goodwin allowing him five offensive rebounds.  And Tay Weaver stepped up.  We shall see.

Near the end of the Fordham GDT, I noted La Salle, under Ashley Howard, likes to press full court all game.  Howard has been given credit for getting his team to buy into that principal and has been lauded for improving their defensive results from last year to this.  I will be curious to see if, with the book out there now, does he change his principals and alter his defense come Wednesday.  He has enough guards in the stable (7) to press and press again.  All seven get almost 20 mpg.  Saul Phiri and Isaiah Deas havehurt us before.

St. Joe's is different; they don't have a true point guard on the roster.  Also, no true center.  They play five out and none in and every player ismore content to launch a three than bang inside.  Taylor Funk is no longer listed on their team roster and they have three guys who have launched 100 threes apiece and another closing in on that total.  They have employed zones more than not but from my viewing, they are not collectively in the paint mostof the time and get hurt there.  Not only does Ryan Daly lead them in scoring, but rebounding, assists and steals as well.

Going to be two interesting and diiferent games in Philly this week.

NextYearBill and Adman like this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Here's a trend ---- in the past two games, French has scored 6 and 5 points against Davidson and Fordham respectively.  Five games in to the conference season and the book is out ..... pack it in, limit French, protect the boards and force SLU to shoot from some distance.

By now, you know my thoughts on Davidson's front line.  Still, the result was what it was and Davidson followed McKillop's game strategy to a tee.  Then Fordham, with no discernible front line, accomplished the same.  The major difference was no one really put a body on Goodwin allowing him five offensive rebounds.  And Tay Weaver stepped up.  We shall see.

Near the end of the Fordham GDT, I noted La Salle, under Ashley Howard, likes to press full court all game.  Howard has been given credit for getting his team to buy into that principal and has been lauded for improving their defensive results from last year to this.  I will be curious to see if, with the book out there now, does he change his principals and alter his defense come Wednesday.  He has enough guards in the stable (7) to press and press again.  All seven get almost 20 mpg.  Saul Phiri and Isaiah Deas havehurt us before.

St. Joe's is different; they don't have a true point guard on the roster.  Also, no true center.  They play five out and none in and every player ismore content to launch a three than bang inside.  Taylor Funk is no longer listed on their team roster and they have three guys who have launched 100 threes apiece and another closing in on that total.  They have employed zones more than not but from my viewing, they are not collectively in the paint mostof the time and get hurt there.  Not only does Ryan Daly lead them in scoring, but rebounding, assists and steals as well.

Going to be two interesting and diiferent games in Philly this week.

You know the book is out when Has only attempted a grand total of 3 shots in 35 minutes yesterday vs Fordham.