2020 A10 Games and Comments

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Two obvious statements:  1) The top 7 schools will cannibalize each other.  2) The key is to minimize the hits taken from the lower 7 schools.  I stated it before, I'm looking for LaSalle to ruin someone's season. I'm now adding Davidson into that statement.

A Top 4 league finish is highly desired.  I looked up the past ten A10Tourney champs.  Here is where they were seeded.  Last season's tourney was the only time when a top 4 wasn't the winner in the past 10 tourney's.  But 3rd or 4th seem to be as good as 1st or 2nd. 

6th - once

4th - 4 times

3rd - 3 times

2nd - none

1st - twice

Davidson won't "ruin" anyone's season because they're still 114 in the NET rankings. For comparison's sake, they're just ahead of Wake Forest, Belmont, Loyola, UNC (!), Texas A&M, Washington State - none of which are going to wreck your season. Bonaventure is 127 and rising. I also don't think they're going to spoil anyone's party.

After that, things get dicier. UMass is 135 and Mason is 157; I don't think UMass is going to fall off a cliff from there but Mason is trending the wrong direction. La Salle is 181, and you really don't want to lose to GW (217), St. Joe's (218), or Fordham (273).

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night is over, time to move on. 

Two intriguing league games today.  Richmond is at George Mason.  Richmond needs to keep winning so we can retain our Q1 win.  Both teams are without one of their leaders. 

St. Bonnie is at VCU.  Rams are a 9 point favorite, which seems about right.  I'm interested in seeing how Lofton handles Havoc and the Santos-Silva - Osunniyi matchup.

Not in the A10, it would be helpful if Kansas State would win a game.  They have W Va at home; likely not gonna happen today.

38 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Vcu without Evans. This is not good for us nor the conference. I can’t see vcu winning this, and it’ll make our matchup with vcu even worse 

Wow, not good for Evans nor VCU.  Williams is a valuable piece of their HAVOC defense.

Bona was useless; beaten by 30.  Osunniyi makes no difference.  Bona still a three man team and not a good one.

Richmond ran away from Mason.  Much like Davidson, I don’t know what Mason is doing on offense.  Javon Greene scored a record 36 but there was no continuity.  Mar, Wilson, Oduro, and Johnson just not viable offensive option.  Sherrod, Gilyard and Golden were enough and almost scored 100.

Geedubya spanked Umass bad at Umass.  Umass is completely undisciplined.  Mitchell got two fouls early and sat while first half putting Umass in unrecoverable hole.  Macro Jack went off for Geedubya.  

Rhodey held on to beat La Salle by 3 in Kingston.  Good game.  Back and forth.  La Salle got some stops late, made free throws, then missed on purpose and got two on rebound.  But clock was at 1 and had to foul for final margin.

Have no idea how St. Joes won at Penn.

And my ho' is back for mo'.  Doggy b*tch with the troll stamp.

Two interesting A10 games this weekend.  Dayton goes to Robins Arena to take on the Spiders, unfortunately without Francis.  Richmond could add a big + to their resume with an upset.  Richmond goes cross town to VCU on Wednesday, so there season is NOW.  Too bad they aren't at full strength.

Rhode Island ventures to Olean, where they haven't won since 2004.  And another injury will play a huge pat in this game.  Osunniyi is being reported as doubtful due to his most recent concussion.  Osunniyi has been a monster in conference play, going 10 ppg  /11 rpg / 4 bpg.  Any bubble aspirations for Rhody would burst with a loss.

One of the benefits of having Osunniyi out is the development of others to assist Lofton and Welch.  Velasquez and Winston have stepped up their games lately.  That's a young team getting better by necessity.

There's my little b*tch.  Right on cue.

Watching Dayton today on the road against Richmond, I'm even more impressed by our near win at Chaifetz.  Toppin is unguardable, Crutcher is really hard to guard and their length on defense forces you into some tough shots.  There has been talk about us being next year's Dayton.  Let me dispel that notion right now -- there will not be any Daytons in the A10 next year.  Having an unguardable player puts Dayton on a totally different level -- it makes everybody else on their team that much better.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Watching Dayton today on the road against Richmond, I'm even more impressed by our near win at Chaifetz.  Toppin is unguardable, Crutcher is really hard to guard and their length on defense forces you into some tough shots.  There has been talk about us being next year's Dayton.  Let me dispel that notion right now -- there aren't going to be any Daytons next year.  Having an unguardable player puts Dayton on a totally different level -- it makes everybody else that much better.

That was a good game to watch.....for about 14 minutes.   The Spiders finished strong but not enough to ground the Flyers.  Toppin had some nice assists.  Would Francis have made a big enough difference?  Maybe, maybe not. 

The Spiders head across town to play VCU next.