Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If our starting lineup was Jacobs, Fred, TJ, Linssen, and Bell with Lorentsson, Russell,  and Strickland off the bench, we’d be excited about this team. 

Lol. I enjoy super unrealistic expectations before every Bills season, but this is a middle of the road A-10 team at best 

Just now, majerus mojo said:

Lol. I enjoy super unrealistic expectations before every Bills season, but this is a middle of the road A-10 team at best 

But compare that lineup to Jim Crews squads. And it’s also pretty young. 2 years from now, it might very well be a top-tier A10 team.

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

that seems a bit off to me. Most here think we have reached a high-water mark for talent, A-10 not  power conference. curious how you arrived at your opinion.

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Yeah, the hope with Fred, TJ, and Bell is just hype until the season begins. The rest of those names, we really should have no expectations from right now.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

that seems a bit off to me. Most here think we have reached a high-water mark for talent, A-10 not  power conference. curious how you arrived at your opinion.

We have, but to finish in top third of the conference, you need at least one guy who is one of the best in the conference at his position.  Thatch, Hargrove, etc. don't fit that description.  But both of those guys would be day one starters on the Crews-recruited teams.

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

If our starting lineup was Jacobs, Fred, TJ, Linssen, and Bell with Lorentsson, Russell,  and Strickland off the bench, we’d be excited about this team. 

Yikes, they need Gibson.  That team may beat a Crews squad but isn't much more than a PIG team in the A10.  Still a good 2nd team but lets not think we are Kareem era UCLA and our second team could run the table in the A10

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yikes, they need Gibson.  That team may beat a Crews squad but isn't much more than a PIG team in the A10.  Still a good 2nd team but lets not think we are Kareem era UCLA and our second team could run the table in the A10

I never implied we’d win the A10 with this team, but we’d have athleticism, size, and some shooters. I think this squad would be a middle of the pack A10 squad. 

19 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs, Thatch, Hargrove, and Linssen is the best bench in the A10.  Prove me wrong.

Of course, we're gonna have the best bench regardless of which 4 or 5 non-starters Ford has in the rotation. I like some offensive spark coming off the bench - I enjoyed when Majerus brought Jett and Ellis off the bench. It's a lot more important who plays the last 4 minutes of a game rather than the first 4 minutes.

19 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm glad to see he decided to settle in STL.  He seems like a fine young man with a bright future.  Take notice STL area basketball players.  Your name as a former Billiken is worth a lot in St Louis after you graduate.

Also, if he married a women's team player, and they settled in the STL, that sounds like a quality recruit could be coming in about 20 years.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

by 42

C'mon now.  Who's guarding Reynolds at the free throw line?  Jolly really presents a mismatch away from the basket for Bell & Linssen.  They can't cover the ground to get all those long rebounds careening off the backboard. Yarbrough presents many matchup problems at the point forward. #Teamblue won't be prepared for McBroom's social media onslaught pregame.  They'll be thrown off their game.

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

C'mon now.  Who's guarding Reynolds at the free throw line?  Jolly really presents a mismatch away from the basket for Bell & Linssen.  They can't cover the ground to get all those long rebounds careening off the backboard. Yarbrough presents many matchup problems at the point forward. #Teamblue won't be prepared for McBroom's social media onslaught pregame.  They'll be thrown off their game.

I would pay to see this....

SLU_Lax likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan Goodwin was on the Press Box with Frank.  After he recovered from his hand surgery he rebuilt his shot at home.  He couldn't see SLU coaches due to the quarantine.

Frank discussed Jordan's 3 options next year: 1) get to the NBA 2) play overseas and 3) come back for another year at SLU.

"When that day comes it will be based on what this team does this season, if my team does what it should that means I'm doing something good and I've put myself in position to talk about the NBA and overseas.  If all else fails, coming back to St. Louis and play another year is not that bad.  I love the campus and my coaches. I know my fans would love me to come back another year. If that happens, it's no big deal for me.  He will graduate in the spring in sociology.

They will be going small with French, Perkins, Goodwin, Collins and then either Thatch or Jimerson. Goodwin is confident they can handle a bigger lineup.

Never seen a passer like Yuri.  "I've never seen anyone with a wide open layup pass it off to another teammate, just to get an assist. I've seen he has improved since his freshman year.  He is better reading defenses."

On Perkins, Jordan knew him growing up.  Now his game is an everyday thing.  They guard each other a lot in practice. 

True or false, Hasahn says you will miss a shot on purpose so you can get an extra rebound.  "Never, on purpose, but yeah he says it."  Hasahn had a special, 20 rebound game, so he has Jordan on that one. "I'll get one this year."

How do you settle down Coach Ford? Sometimes I have to take the heat from Coach to divert it from another player.

Strangest thing about playing in Covid 19.  "Biggest thing is that my Mom & Dad can't come to the games." 

So far his FT's in practice are high 70%, low 80%'s.  He wants high 80%'s by tourney time.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, thetorch said:

Kareem always said his toughest competition came from Swen Nater.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:30 AM, ACE said:

Of course, we're gonna have the best bench regardless of which 4 or 5 non-starters Ford has in the rotation. I like some offensive spark coming off the bench - I enjoyed when Majerus brought Jett and Ellis off the bench. It's a lot more important who plays the last 4 minutes of a game rather than the first 4 minutes.

I like the idea of D spark off the bench better. Throw Thatch in to shut down a hot hand or leading player and you can turn around the momentum of the game after the opponent is deceived into thinking they have the upper hand.

6 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

I like the idea of D spark off the bench better. Throw Thatch in to shut down a hot hand or leading player and you can turn around the momentum of the game after the opponent is deceived into thinking they have the upper hand.

I think for bully-ball purposes, it actually makes sense to just totally stifle the opponent on offense from the opening tip.  Players get frustrated by not scoring and start to force things and make mistakes.  If you let a guy get into a rhythm on offense, it can be hard to stop him.  Better to just never let him get started.

3star_recruit likes this

51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think for bully-ball purposes, it actually makes sense to just totally stifle the opponent on offense from the opening tip.  Players get frustrated by not scoring and start to force things and make mistakes.  If you let a guy get into a rhythm on offense, it can be hard to stop him.  Better to just never let him get started.

When we dominated Dayton in his freshman season it was because Thatch, for a half, was the best player on both ends of the floor.  He has that potential.

NextYearBill likes this

Just picked up an interview Coach did on Wed with KMOX. He said the team is turning the ball over way too much in practice, and that rebounding has not been at a high level in practice.

"As of today [Wed.] games are on for next week." My fingers are crossed.

Talked to his three captains "don't allow complacency, don't settle for good". 

A10 is the best since Coach has been at SLU. Five teams return 4 or more starters.  He thinks UMass could be an NCAA team, even though they were picked 8th in the league.

On recruiting, they haven't been able to go out and recruit or have anyone come in.  Can't evaluate players the way they normally do.  This will stay for 4 or 5 more months.  "We've taken a step back.  Let's be patient, let's slow down.  We'll look at things at the end of the season."

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

On recruiting, they haven't been able to go out and recruit or have anyone come in.  Can't evaluate players the way they normally do.  This will stay for 4 or 5 more months.  "We've taken a step back.  Let's be patient, let's slow down.  We'll look at things at the end of the season."

There are two sides to recruiting, the team's side led by the coach, and the recruit's side which is primarily defined by the recruit himself plus his family, coach and support system. With the new rule allowing a fifth year of play the recruiting situation context changes, I think markedly.

From the point of view of the teams and coaches with the new 5th year rule they have extra time and leeway to make their decisions, the need to recruit NOW is decreased. This comes at the same time the coaches are trying to navigate the uncharted waters of playing under pandemic rules, which are a nightmare by themselves. Other factors are the lack of visits by recruits and to recruit's schools which makes recruiting more difficult. Therefore the coaches and teams are likely to take a wait and see point of view, as Ford describes.

From the  point of view of the recruits in next year's class, the situation becomes really murky, particularly for recruits not at the top level. Recruits that could count in having lots of choices now are  having a lot less choices, and some of those choices are not in a hurry to recruit them. Think Nesbitt  and Kern. Recruits are probably getting scared that if they wait until the spring they may be bypassed altogether. From this point of view, many of them may be committing to schools they might not  have chosen before, like Memphis, just because these schools are willing to take them at this time and not wait for the spring. I think this means that an uncommonly large number of recruits and potential recruits may be looking to commit early just to have the security of a scholarship for next season.

I think we are going to see this dynamic playing for the rest of this season and the coming spring as well. All of a sudden coaches, current players, and recruits have a new situation (the 5th year) they have to deal with, the question is how to do so. For example, should Goodwin be willing to play a 5th year for SLU, why in heavens might we possibly want to get a commitment from a possible Goodwin replacement? We will not know about Goodwin or French or Perkins until the spring at least, a lot of factors are at play in their decision. Why should we want to sign in someone anticipating a vacancy in the roster that may or may not materialize? Of course some teams just do not care to have to reject recruits after they have committed, but that is not SLU. Until the current situation changes and until the recruiting cycle becomes normalized, we (SLU) may just lose good potential recruits to other, including possibly lower level, schools.

This miserable pandemic is affecting a lot of things as we all know, and some of the changes made (by NCAA in this case) are disrupting the whole system of recruiting and playing a season, as we are currently witnessing.

Coach was on KMOX this morning.  A lot of repeat, with the exception of these comments.

The Athletic Department put together the Billiken Classic after Northen Iowa pulled out of Lincoln on Wednesday morning.  (So the Classic had a 48 hour timeline.)

Jimmy Bell is back practicing

Markhi Strickland is the most improved player, from start of practice until now.

TJ Hargrove has a minor foot issue, but Coach thinks he will be able to go this week.