Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Last year a lot of teams dared Goodwin to shoot 3s. If he can hit them at an average or above rate, teams will have to stay with him, opening up the inside.

Exactly. That was kinda my point with “how do you guard us?” If we can start consistently hitting from deep, as a team, we already know what we can do inside and on the offensive glass. I keep going back to that Tulane game. I think we could be seeing a lot more of that this year.

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on with Frank and Rammer on the Press Box this morning:  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

They had an intraquad scrimmage on Monday, FG 42%, 3pt 29%, (won't say what the FT% was-I assume it was bad).  French is nailing FT's in practice, but it isn't translating over to the last scrimmage.  He has a new routine.  He hit 3 of 4 in the second of three intrasquad, but the other two intrasquads, "nowhere near that".

Starting lineup so far is Collins, French, Perkins and Goodwin.  The other spot has been Jimerson one day and Thatch the next.  Coach doesn't care who the 5th starter is.  He is rotating starters every practice.  In the last scrimmage Monday, he started moving into his top 8 or 9.  Mentioned Linssen in for French, Hargrove in for Perkins, Jordan to point and Jacobs in for Collins.  Bell is still out, expecting him back in a week to 10 days.  Coach said he won't go back to starting Bell along with French just yet.  Bell will be w a y back when he gets back.  He will have to get into shape to get into the rotation and flow.

Coach "Depth is only an advantage if there is not much of a drop off."  "We have a lot of guys that can play, but we have to get them playing better."   "Goodwin and French have been off the charts in practice.  We need consistency from our depth, that we aren't getting at this time."

Trend of going smaller - started in the NBA and is trickling down to college.  "There is no such thing as a true power forward anymore."  Bottom line, it's becoming a position-less game.  We are really one of the smaller teams, in height.  French is really only 6'6".   We make for it with our toughness and physicality.  Colleges are going away from 'you are a one, a two'.  College kids don't want to hear that anymore.  They are making up position names to conform, "You are the Rocket".  

Hargrove, "I talked to him, all I need him to do is fly up and down the court, get rebounds, deflections, don't worry about what position you are playing, just make things happen on the court."

Coach, "It looks like Northern Iowa is our first opponent in Nebraska."  Hope to get three games in NE.  Schedule still changes almost daily.  Hope the first home game is Dec 5.  Four to five home games in Dec, still under flux.  Minnesota may be the only true away game, closer to Christmas.

Great recap HP. Thanks.

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Starting lneup so far is Collins, French, Perkins and Goodwin.  The other spot has been Jimerson one day and Thatch the next.  Coach doesn't care who the 5th starter is.  He is rotating starters every practice.  In the last scrimmage Monday, he started moving into his top 8 or 9.  Mentioned Linssen in for French, Hargrove in for Perkins, Jordan to point and Jacobs in for Collins.  Bell is still out, expecting him back in a week to 10 days.  Coach said he won't go back to starting Bell along with French just yet.  Bell will be w a y back when he gets back.  He will have to get into shape to get into the rotation and flow.

This rotation is what makes sense to me.  It is a minor miracle that Thatch is ready to start on this stacked team.

Last year, we all thought his career was over.  So happy for Fred.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

This rotation is what makes sense to me.  It is a minor miracle that Thatch is ready to start on this stacked team.

Last year, we all thought his career was over.  So happy for Fred.

It seems to make more sense to me to have GJ start and Fred as 6th man unless Fred can truly hit the 3 in mid to high 30's. Though I have complete faith in Coach Ford to make good decisions. 

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach "Depth is only an advantage if there is not much of a drop off."  "We have a lot of guys that can play, but we have to get them playing better."   "Goodwin and French have been off the charts in practice.  We need consistency from our depth, that we aren't getting at this time."

There have been names that he talks about a lot more than others, especially in a positive way.  Based on that, you can sorta see where it drops after the 8th spot. 

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Trend of going smaller - started in the NBA and is trickling down to college.  "There is no such thing as a true power forward anymore."  Bottom line, it's becoming a position-less game.  We are really one of the smaller teams, in height.  French is really only 6'6".   We make for it with our toughness and physicality.  Colleges are going away from 'you are a one, a two'.  College kids don't want to hear that anymore.  They are making up position names to conform, "You are the Rocket".  

I wonder if this is a hint as to maybe have Has play the 5th again this yer, with bell and Linssen  off the bench

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

There have been names that he talks about a lot more than others, especially in a positive way.  Based on that, you can sorta see where it drops after the 8th spot. 

I wonder if this is a hint as to maybe have Has play the 5th again this yer, with bell and Linssen  off the bench

It's more than a hint.  If our starting lineups in practice have been Collins, French, Perkins, Goodwin and Jimerson/Thatch, then Has is still our starting center.  The question is will Linssen remain the backup center once Bell gets back up to speed.

I still liked the idea of Perkins coming off the bench. He thrived in the role last year and still got starter's minutes - he'll still get his 30+ minutes. I just like having some offensive firepower coming in off the bench at around the first tv timeout.

bauman likes this

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

I still liked the idea of Perkins coming off the bench. He thrived in the role last year and still got starter's minutes - he'll still get his 30+ minutes. I just like having some offensive firepower coming in off the bench at around the first tv timeout.

I was actually thinking the opposite.  It often seems like we struggle offensively early in games and I'd like to see us get off to better starts if possible and then bring in some of the better defenders and high energy guys like Thatch and Hargrove.  That would frustrate the crap out of me if I was the opposing team.  

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I was actually thinking the opposite.  It often seems like we struggle offensively early in games and I'd like to see us get off to better starts if possible and then bring in some of the better defenders and high energy guys like Thatch and Hargrove.  That would frustrate the crap out of me if I was the opposing team.  

I would just rather start the best players so that they feel appreciated and don’t transfer. That said, it is awesome that Fred can push GJ. It will make both of them better.

11 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I get that point. The good thing with getting Jimmer back is that we can start either him or Perk to make sure there is an offensive threat to start the game. The luxury is that one of them will likely come off the bench for some additional offensive firepower.

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

I get that point. The good thing with getting Jimmer back is that we can start either him or Perk to make sure there is an offensive threat to start the game. The luxury is that one of them will likely come off the bench for some additional offensive firepower.

Yeah, clearly a good problem to have.  Remember when our best player was Mike Crawford?

Disclaimer: Mike was a decent player and seems like a very good person.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Jacobs, Thatch, Hargrove, and Linssen is the best bench in the A10.  Prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

He surely would of gotten the most out of another free year of tuition.

He was dating one of the Women's team players, who I think was a St Joe Academy grad.  Just curious if that led to anything and if Mike is in STL.  I'm thinking not since I never hear of him being at any games.  Didn't he get a scholarship to SLU Law School?  He seemed liked a class individual.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

He was dating one of the Women's team players, who I think was a St Joe Academy grad.  Just curious if that led to anything and if Mike is in STL.  I'm thinking not since I never hear of him being at any games.  Didn't he get a scholarship to SLU Law School?  He seemed liked a class individual.

He is a recent SLU Law grade and new attorney at Lewis Rice downtown. 

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

cgeldmacher likes this

19 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-last season Mike Crawford was at several games

I'm glad to see he decided to settle in STL.  He seems like a fine young man with a bright future.  Take notice STL area basketball players.  Your name as a former Billiken is worth a lot in St Louis after you graduate.