Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

Caught the end of Coach on 101 this morning.  A couple of nuggets:  Coach alluded, didn't say this as a fact, that the season might get pushed back, maybe until January.  He said, someone has to make a decision.  The team is going 100% in practice, and they would need to back off if games are postponed. (What does he know that hasn't been leaked?) 

He hopes to get Bell back in a week or two.  He said Goodwin is the best leader he has ever coached.  Practices go as Goodwin dictates them.  If he comes in 100%, as he does 99% of the time, it's GO TIME.

He talked about the free year rule, and how 8 of his players are effectively freshmen or prep school players, eligibility wise.

TheChosenOne likes this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Caught the end of Coach on 101 this morning.  A couple of nuggets:  Coach alluded, didn't say this as a fact, that the season might get pushed back, maybe until January.  He said, someone has to make a decision.  The team is going 100% in practice, and they would need to back off if games are postponed. 

If this helps with amounts of games played and or attendance, I'm in. 

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Caught the end of Coach on 101 this morning.  A couple of nuggets:  Coach alluded, didn't say this as a fact, that the season might get pushed back, maybe until January.  He said, someone has to make a decision.  The team is going 100% in practice, and they would need to back off if games are postponed. (What does he know that hasn't been leaked?) 

He hopes to get Bell back in a week or two.  He said Goodwin is the best leader he has ever coached.  Practices go as Goodwin dictates them.  If he comes in 100%, as he does 99% of the time, it's GO TIME.

He talked about the free year rule, and how 8 of his players are effectively freshmen or prep school players, eligibility wise.

-very interesting, I hope we are playing by Thanksgiving and this is first I've seen on this timing in some time

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If this helps with amounts of games played and or attendance, I'm in. 

-not sure how taking away 6 weeks of the schedule would lead to more games being played

Seems to me people are banking on the all-elusive vaccine.  What is going to change in six weeks from November to January?  As I see it, absolutely nothing.  Nothing can really happen until the shot comes out.  This bubble stuff may have worked for the NBA and MLS and even baseball, but it's not working for the NFL and society keeps seeing its data (short of deaths) go up.  

And it's somewhat irrational and haphazard.  Nick Saban tests positive on a Thursday but is on the sidelines coaching come Saturday because he is cleared.  WTF is that?  Family members leave NY and travel to Arizona and when they get back, they have to self-quarantine for 14 days.  WTF is that?  Is there some sort of COIVID police that have you under double-secret-probation observation at this time?  And without the astronomical rising death counts, is this not just the flu again?  I'm not being subversive or political, just asking.  

Everybody seems to be pissing into the wind, hoping not to get wet.  And the lawyers are likely circling like vultures.  I won't believe anything until it actually happens.

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Seems to me people are banking on the all-elusive vaccine.  What is going to change in six weeks from November to January?  As I see it, absolutely nothing.  Nothing can really happen until the shot comes out.  This bubble stuff may have worked for the NBA and MLS and even baseball, but it's not working for the NFL and society keeps seeing its data (short of deaths) go up.  

And it's somewhat irrational and haphazard.  Nick Saban tests positive on a Thursday but is on the sidelines coaching come Saturday because he is cleared.  WTF is that?  Family members leave NY and travel to Arizona and when they get back, they have to self-quarantine for 14 days.  WTF is that?  Is there some sort of COIVID police that have you under double-secret-probation observation at this time?  And without the astronomical rising death counts, is this not just the flu again?  I'm not being subversive or political, just asking.  

Everybody seems to be pissing into the wind, hoping not to get wet.  And the lawyers are likely circling like vultures.  I won't believe anything until it actually happens.

and in the B10 you have to quarantine for 21 days if tested positive. 

So if Nick Saban were still at Michigan State, would he have to miss three weeks no matter the negative tests the Friday before the game?  Love them false positives, y'know.

In my old job, we had false positives all the time.  For nerve agents VX and GB (Sarin) no less.  Happily, no one died; no one even got sick.  But the furor that arose when the machine ticked off as positive was one hell of a kabuki dance.

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

When you come back back to NY from a state like Arizona, you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days (they make you sign some waiver at the gate. They give you a call every 3 days to double check how you are feeling and ask if you've quarantined. There's not actually anything they do if you don't quarantine, as far as I can tell from my experience doing it. 

You're right, college athletics' reaction has been incredibly haphazard. Because there is no true central figure in charge, it's left to the schools/conferences to decide what they want to do. The Saban thing surely would not have been allowed in pro sports, with stricter regulations.

I don't really understand the death question / flu. Fortunately the rate of deaths does not appear to be rising, which is a testament to the good work our doctors and hospitals are doing. That said, hundreds of thousands of people have still died. I had a close family member pass away last week. 

My condolences, NH.  I count my lucky stars that no one I know has even tested positive let alone died.  And if i did contact tracing on that alone, the numbers would like be in the thousands or so.  You pointed out exactly my question on current death rates ---- and you placed good testament where it is due.  The death numbers to date are appalling given the society we live in and the medical advances made through the decades.  It seems, to me, we have made some advances over the last nine months or so in treatment in order to do a better battle.  But that is small solace.  Sorry for your loss.

As for NY, the kids had to cancel their Christmas visit plans.  They were going to fly into NY and visit his family but if they did, they were told they had to register on landing and provide their itinerary and cell phone numbers for check up purposes.  They would have had to sit put for 14 days and with only a week planned to come home, they thought better of it.  My daughter works in a Phoenix hospital and is checked daily.  Half her NICU unit was turned into additional COVID ICU space and they have since transformed back due to no uptick there.  Her part of Arizona doesn't seem to be leading the charge in the overall Arizona numbers.  I'm guessing that's because it's a children's hospital.  

27 minutes ago, willie said:

There is a lot of talk about doing away with non-league games. Thus January. 

Which is completely asinine. No students will be on campus from Thanksgiving till mid/late January (hence a quasi bubble for the players) and there are no other sports on tv on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights, yet people want to not play college basketball. Just incredible the stupidity if that is what occurs. 

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Which is completely asinine. No students will be on campus from Thanksgiving till mid/late January (hence a quasi bubble for the players) and there are no other sports on tv on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights, yet people want to not play college basketball. Just incredible the stupidity if that is what occurs. 

Yep, Thanksgiving to mid January is the closest you're going to get to a bubble in college.

billiken_roy likes this

Has there been any talk of expanding the NCAA tournament or even expanding conference tournaments? It would seem to me to make a lot of sense to explore something like a scenario where the A-10 top 4 play each other in a round robin for seeding prior to the A-10 tournament itself. 

23 minutes ago, NH said:

Has there been any talk of expanding the NCAA tournament or even expanding conference tournaments? It would seem to me to make a lot of sense to explore something like a scenario where the A-10 top 4 play each other in a round robin for seeding prior to the A-10 tournament itself. 

Yes, remember a month or so ago when the ACC coaches voted to allow all teams into the NCAA tourney. Thankfully that got shot down.

1 hour ago, NH said:

A lot of smaller conferences have expanded the number of conference games and are playing two games at one site either on back to back days or with one day in between.  The A-10 is one of the conferences still with the original schedule. The WCC is considering playing it's conference schedule in a Las Vegas bubble situation.

https://watchstadium.com/whats-the-scheduling-plan-for-college-basketballs-32-d-1-conferences-10-01-2020/

Coach was on KMOX once again. He has been on the past several weeks in the 10 o'clock hour.  Today he was on in the last 10 minutes of that hour.

One interesting comment:  they keep a ton of stats in practice.  Yesterday, in 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 combined, the team shot 41% from the three.  Goodwin was 7 of 11 and Jimerson was 5 of 12.  The team shot 57% from the field, an 73% from the FT line.  "I don't know if it is good offense or bad defense."

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on KMOX once again. He has been on the past several weeks in the 10 o'clock hour.  Today he was on in the last 10 minutes of that hour.

One interesting comment:  they keep a ton of stats in practice.  Yesterday, in 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 combined, the team shot 41% from the three.  Goodwin was 7 of 11 and Jimerson was 5 of 12.  The team shot 57% from the field, an 73% from the FT line.  "I don't know if it is good offense or bad defense."

If Goodwin can be even an an average 3-point shooter, how do you guard us? Honestly? Now add in TJ just being an average 3-point shooter. The possibilities are incredibly exciting. 

Just now, Reinert310 said:

If Goodwin can be even an an average 3-point shooter, how do you guard us? Honestly? Now add in TJ just being an average 3-point shooter. The possibilities are incredibly exciting. 

You can add Yuri and Thatch in that group too, but I don’t want to seem too greedy. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

You can add Yuri and Thatch in that group too, but I don’t want to seem too greedy. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

If the quote was “Hasahn is hitting 60% from the FT line” it would probably, and sadly, have a bigger impact on our teams ceiling. Hope HF can hit 50% or more this year.

50 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If the quote was “Hasahn is hitting 60% from the FT line” it would probably, and sadly, have a bigger impact on our teams ceiling. Hope HF can hit 50% or more this year.

Haha. I see your point. But if we can hit anywhere near 41% from 3 and 73% from the line, as a team, we’re gonna be scary good!  Obviously, it’s only 1 practice, so that doesn’t mean it will translate into games. But we’ve had multiple reports that JGood is shooting significantly better from outside and TJ is significantly improved. Even if just those 2 things are true, we’re gonna be crazy good this year.

17 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Haha. I see your point. But if we can hit anywhere near 41% from 3 and 73% from the line, as a team, we’re gonna be scary good!  Obviously, it’s only 1 practice, so that doesn’t mean it will translate into games. But we’ve had multiple reports that JGood is shooting significantly better from outside and TJ is significantly improved. Even if just those 2 things are true, we’re gonna be crazy good this year.

pretty tough task. However BYU led the NCAA in 3 pt % last year at 42%. The next closest was Oregon at 39.6%. 

From 2018 BYU was up 9%, Oregon was up 4.5% and the 3rd best team UC Davis at 39.1% was up 6.4%

We were at 34% last year. 

I don't think Perkins will get off to the poor start he got last year plus we will have GJ for the entire year. Just projecting GJ out for the year 30 games at his same stats as the 1st 10 takes us to 35.7%

Reinert310 likes this