Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Where is our normal Press Box reporter?

I picked up the Earl Austin segment today.  An interesting section on the Bills, with Frank saying he could see the Bills, now that they didn't get Nesbitt, to hold off on HS players and pivot to JC/Transfers. [This was just discussion and not putting out a rumor.]

Earl said yes he could see that. He feels the biggest loss will be Perkins, needing someone who can put the ball in the basket.  He says Thatch, is a Jordan Goodwin type player, an athletic defender, character guy. (He said he isn't Goodwin but will fill that role.)  Okoro, Bell and Linssen will fill in for French.

Rumor was that Yaya Keita has been hurt.  No details, but yes, he has gone down.  "It breaks my heart">Earl. 

Bigbillfan used to give the radio updates, i have not seen him in awhile

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Any word from Ford on André Lorentsson's availability?  Really interested in his progress.  

First practice is Saturday, so we’ll probably know more soon. I think his progress is more about strength and conditioning than anything at this point. But he’ll get there.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

SCHEDULE NEWS:  First game will be Nov 25 or 26.  Orlando is still a possibility, but the MTE in Nebraska is also a possibility.  We have 6 or 7 of the hopeful 9 OOC games done.  [Per Rothstein, this event will feature Nebraska, LSU, Northern Iowa, Nevada, Illinois State and Cleveland State, with more to be added.][ @slu72, my tea leaf reading may be wrong!]

Not getting to go up against the original Orlando lineup (Zags, Michigan St, Xavier, etc.) really sucks.  Potential wins over Gonzaga or Michigan St would have been big statement win(s) early and really jumped us up the NCAA board.  However, it would have also been possible that we got screwed in the matchups, dropped our first game to Zaga or MSU and then been stuck playing Belmont / Boise St instead of another name team.  There was definitely a risk of leaving without a "signature win".

Given the circumstances, I don't hate the idea of this Nebraska tournament (if that is in fact the lineup) because it has some decent names (LSU, Nevada), but SLU should be the best team in the field.  It has potential to be a confidence builder early on and get us some really good (albeit not spectacular) wins.  Could be similar to the Anaheim tournament we won back in 2011 (wins over name programs BC, Nova, Oklahoma in what was a down year for all 3) that sets the tone for the rest of the year.

According to this article Oklahoma State has also signed on to play in the Lincoln tournament which will apparently grow to 16 teams. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.btpowerhouse.com/platform/amp/2020/10/9/21453867/nebraska-basketball-big-ten-confirm-first-seven-teams-in-lincoln-tournament

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I really can’t believe ESPN is allowing there events to implode like this.

It's implosion from our point of view.  It's a reshuffling of the deck from Disney's point of view.  Now they'll get a guaranteed matchup in Orlando between Duke and Michigan State and Kansas vs Kentucky on Dec 1.  Ratings bonanza.

As of this date, if Orlando is completely falling apart then the NE MTE is probably our best option, although of the teams announced only LSU would be considered a good win.  The only other team in the Top 144 , top 49 is Travis' former employer, OSU which seems to be a one trick pony this year and that pony is a FR.

UNI is next best at #50 and the likely MVC winner.  Nevada and Nebraska are both predicted to be less than challenging this year.  I guess we need games from somewhere and then will need to run the Conference and Tournament to get the automatic bid.

I was looking forward to our Senior 3 putting the hurt on Pennyville this year so I guess we will just have to wait and let Nesbit  watch from the bench next year in his "only year" at Memphis.

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

For those of us who aren't following it overly closely, how are these MTEs coming together? Can any program say we are going to host a tournament and go out recruiting other programs to get on board? Or are these being coordinated by some power that be?

For the Lincoln MTE specifically, I'm guessing this third party (Elevate Hoops) is in charge of getting other programs on board. Not sure who made initial contact about using LIncoln as an MTE location, UNL or Elevate Hoops.

While Nebraska will be playing host in terms of the facilities, utilizing Pinnacle Bank Arena (city of Lincoln owned) and the Devaney Center (UNL owned facility), the tournament itself will be hosted by third party Elevate Hoops for legal and liability reasons. Elevate Hoops is reportedly also be responsible for testing protocols and processes. The cost of the tournament is purportedly much lower than other early season events. This might appeal to those able to exit their current scheduled event if they can do so without incurring exit penalties. As the full field is finalized, we will be sure to give you an update.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's implosion from our point of view.  It's a reshuffling of the deck from Disney's point of view.  Now they'll get a guaranteed matchup in Orlando between Duke and Michigan State and Kansas vs Kentucky on Dec 1.  Ratings bonanza.

But they are losing a bunch of broadcasting inventory.  They are getting some bigger games while losing hours of programming.  

Anyone catch this last night?  I did not.  Curious as to the new element to his game.  (A sky hook?) 😃

On Sunday, Coach was on KMOX.  He 'almost' verified SLU's Nebraska MTE involvement, mentioned 16 teams, and that we would play 2 or 3 games.  So it isn't a 16 team bracket.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Anyone catch this last night?  I did not.  Curious as to the new element to his game.  (A sky hook?) 😃

On Sunday, Coach was on KMOX.  He 'almost' verified SLU's Nebraska MTE involvement, mentioned 16 teams, and that we would play 2 or 3 games.  So it isn't a 16 team bracket.

My guess on JGood would be improved 3 pt shot and better FT%.

HoosierPal likes this

Coach was on KMOX this morning. Three items of note:

Looking for the third game in Nebraska. It likely won’t be the home team.  Then home for 4 or 5 games. 

AD May has a plan in place to allow some fans into Chaifetz. He is in discussions with the city. Coach said it looks good. 

Coach said we have “a couple” of open scholarships, but with the 8 underclass men plus the extra year granted for all players plus free transfer, they are being very patient and cautious on recruiting. His phrase of “a couple” was interesting.  Is one already penciled in for Russell?

Picked up Rammer's segment with Frank C. on 10/21.  Rammer had seen practice on the 20th.  "I'm Giddy."  

Bell was not on the floor, but was walking around not limping. Rammer said he is as lean as he has ever seen him.

Mentioned that Thatch looked normal. Was amazed at how strong he is.  "He will play an inside guard position."

Based on this single practice on the 20th, Rammer said the best five players he believes were French, Goodwin, Perkins, Collins, and Hargrove.  He said Hargrove was the best of the best.

He called Strickland a mini-Hargrove.  He has not seen Okoro work out.  

Rammer said he knows nothing about the schedule, but said yes, "3 at Nebraska and 4 or 5 then at Chaifetz".

BuiltFordBills and CBFan like this

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Picked up Rammer's segment with Frank C. on 10/21.  Rammer had seen practice on the 20th.  "I'm Giddy."  

Bell was not on the floor, but was walking around not limping. Rammer said he is as lean as he has ever seen him.

Mentioned that Thatch looked normal. Was amazed at how strong he is.  "He will play an inside guard position."

Based on this single practice on the 20th, Rammer said the best five players he believes were French, Goodwin, Perkins, Collins, and Hargrove.  He said Hargrove was the best of the best.

He called Strickland a mini-Hargrove.  He has not seen Okoro work out.  

Rammer said he knows nothing about the schedule, but said yes, "3 at Nebraska and 4 or 5 then at Chaifetz".

So is Rammer saying Hargrove is our best player?  That would really be something