Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

15 hours ago, DOC said:

Well you lose him for his most productive year of college. And then that begs the question as to why Diarra didn’t redshirt. 

Because he didn't want to. The staff recommended that he redshirt and he declined.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, HoosierPal said:

Interesting comment by Ford "Everybody becomes a better shooter when they get to the NBA."  "In practice, that is pretty much all you do is shoot.  Practices aren't quit the same as they are in college. There is more of an emphasis on offense in the NBA."

No defensive intensity, just no defense.

17 hours ago, DOC said:

Well you lose him for his most productive year of college. And then that begs the question as to why Diarra didn’t redshirt. 

Even if you redshirt someone as a freshman and they leave before their senior year, which is undoubtedly expected to be their most productive year, you need to compare to what you would have had if you didn't redshirt him. You never would have that 5th year, his senior year, if you don't redshirt him. So the proper analysis is whether the production you lose as a first year freshman is material. You are basically gambling the lost first year production vs. the potential 5th year production, which as you point out has to be weighted by the potential for that player to leave as a graduate transfer. 

BilliesBy40, Bilzz, DOC and 1 other like this

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Marcos Santos Silva of VCU becomes GT at Texas Tech. Something's not right in Ram Nation. They looked like dog shite their last 5 or 6 games, as if they had given up any hope on a good season. 

Just one winning conference season over the last three years, that says something about the state of the VCU program.

• 3 weeks later...

-CFord was on with Frank yesterday, has a history with MJ that was interesting, said JGood had very minor hand surgery and will be ready to go, unless removing a wart I'm not sure what minor hand surgery could be

-perhaps they installed a 'make more shots' something, in any case, heal quickly JGood

-CFord said trying to lock down a couple more games that could happen this week, with leagues going to 20 game schedules getting teams to play is harder than ever

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-CFord was on with Frank yesterday, has a history with MJ that was interesting, said JGood had very minor hand surgery and will be ready to go, unless removing a wart I'm not sure what minor hand surgery could be

-perhaps they installed a 'make more shots' something, in any case, heal quickly JGood

-CFord said trying to lock down a couple more games that could happen this week, with leagues going to 20 game schedules getting teams to play is harder than ever

Thanks for the heads up on the interview. 

Other interesting comments, this current recruiting class wasn't difficult as they had seen their signees in person. Going forward, it will be much more difficult to recruit as the prospects need to be seen.  But a positive is that SLU is concentrating on St. Louis and doesn't have to leave the town as much as others.  Ford doesn't know if Covid-19 will keep athletes closer to home or not.  He says this next recruiting class may indicate if that is going to happen.

Covid budget issues are still being discussed. Ford says it won't effect the number of 13 scholarships. 

Frank "Is your roster set for next season."  Ford:  "We are recruiting every day." 

On Goodwin and French, "Those guys will be making their decision very, very soon."

Actually Ford used 'very' twice describing Goodwin's surgery.  "very, very minor".  And "he is fine".

Not sure if he misspoke, but he said South Florida was in the Orlando Tourney.  I'm guessing he confused Siena and S. Florida.  He has talked to Pitino, not about a game next season, but says he would entertain a game in the future.

5 minutes ago, NH said:

Thought it was interesting to hear Ford say they may not need to leave St. Louis to fill out this next recruiting class. 

Also loved hearing him talk about those Jordan pick up games, even though it was brief.

said jordan stayed in the dorms at the nike camps.   and then when the kids went to bed, all the counselors would play basketball till wee hours of the night.  Jordan was treating these pickup games like they were the nba championship games.   what passion. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

My favorite part is the end. Talking about how SLU is like an NBA job because of our location. How his parents have an easy drive for every home game. “I love being a Billiken.” Nice!

• 2 months later...

Good interview. I know someday, especially if we experience the success we all feel is coming, some bigs will pursue him. That said, he seems really at home w/SLU and St. Louis. Unless it’s UK, I think it would take a lot for him to leave.

Good stuff was high on team, ie great SRs and young guys are a solid foundation for the future. He’s caught Yurimania. Said he’s shooting the ball great. High praise for TJ and Jimmy too. 
He said SLU has some strong protocols in place to deal with virus. It’s worth a listen. 

cgeldmacher likes this

First, you have to look out for the health of the players. The NBA seems to be doing well with the bubble. So there's a model the NCAA can follow. The big question for the bubble is who would we get in a bubble? If it's MVC, OVC, and all mid major type teams how's that going to help us even if we win every game? Hopefully, the NCAA will step in and demand that mid major conferences are NOT excluded from playing P6 teams. I can see the P6 teams wanting to play in their own bubble. They are basically money grubbing selfish SOB's who some are missing out on FB revenues. Plus, they'd look at a team like SLU and say, uh, I don't think we want to risk that game. See Mizzery. Ideally if it's 8 or 9 games in a bubble we'd get a fair mix of the top preseason 80 teams regardless of conference. Someone suggested this above and this would be  fair. Also, I'd think it would increase national TV audience if some of the smaller guys got a shot at the biggies. If the bigs are that good they'd still get their power games, but it would be more fun if we got to some see some Davids knocking off the Goliaths. 

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

First, you have to look out for the health of the players. The NBA seems to be doing well with the bubble. So there's a model the NCAA can follow. The big question for the bubble is who would we get in a bubble? If it's MVC, OVC, and all mid major type teams how's that going to help us even if we win every game? Hopefully, the NCAA will step in and demand that mid major conferences are NOT excluded from playing P6 teams. I can see the P6 teams wanting to play in their own bubble. They are basically money grubbing selfish SOB's who some are missing out on FB revenues. Plus, they'd look at a team like SLU and say, uh, I don't think we want to risk that game. See Mizzery. Ideally if it's 8 or 9 games in a bubble we'd get a fair mix of the top preseason 80 teams regardless of conference. Someone suggested this above and this would be  fair. Also, I'd think it would increase national TV audience if some of the smaller guys got a shot at the biggies. If the bigs are that good they'd still get their power games, but it would be more fun if we got to some see some Davids knocking off the Goliaths. 

I can definitely see the P6 looking to avoid any dangerous mid majors, unfortunately I don't think there is anything the NCAA could do to prevent this. The biggest challenge for a college bubble may be personnel. I would think that many of the people involved in game day operations (refs, scoreboard operators, security, etc.) are part timers who may not be willing or able to stay in a bubble for any length of time. Would the NCAA be comfortable with those folks going in and out of the bubble on a regular basis? Not a problem for the NBA, they have the money to compensate all needed staff at a level that allows them to stay in the bubble. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, MichaelC said:

I can definitely see the P6 looking to avoid any dangerous mid majors, unfortunately I don't think there is anything the NCAA could do to prevent this. The biggest challenge for a college bubble may be personnel. I would think that many of the people involved in game day operations (refs, scoreboard operators, security, etc.) are part timers who may not be willing or able to stay in a bubble for any length of time. Would the NCAA be comfortable with those folks going in and out of the bubble on a regular basis? Not a problem for the NBA, they have the money to compensate all needed staff at a level that allows them to stay in the bubble. 

Good points. Test the outsiders every day? I’m not sure how much power the NCAA would have here. They have none w/ FB, because they don’t control that championship. However, they do for BB, so maybe they can influence how bubbles are handled. They’ve already set out 4 options for the start of the season, so I’m thinking they have the final say rather than the conferences about how the season plays out. As I stated, if Bubbles are left up to the P6’s,  they will try and shaft the mids. 

1 hour ago, MichaelC said:

Small point of correction. Most refs are not part time during the season. They may even embrace not having to travel. 

23 minutes ago, willie said:

Small point of correction. Most refs are not part time during the season. They may even embrace not having to travel. 

College football referees are  being assigned by region instead of working for a particular conference this year.

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

One thought would be to put the MWC - A10 challenge into a bubble.  Yes the number of teams differs, but there would be ways of all schools playing multiple games. I wouldn't mind playing, along with San Diego State, UNLV and Utah State.  Nevada will be on the rise, and they might be a nice game.  Play four against the MWC, why not.  And for my jaded eye, St. Louis is about mid point for all schools involved.  With no fans, you could put these games almost anywhere in the Lou.  Add this to an expanded  bubble tourney in Orlando, and we have a nice OOC.

• 1 month later...

Where is our normal Press Box reporter?

I picked up the Earl Austin segment today.  An interesting section on the Bills, with Frank saying he could see the Bills, now that they didn't get Nesbitt, to hold off on HS players and pivot to JC/Transfers. [This was just discussion and not putting out a rumor.]

Earl said yes he could see that. He feels the biggest loss will be Perkins, needing someone who can put the ball in the basket.  He says Thatch, is a Jordan Goodwin type player, an athletic defender, character guy. (He said he isn't Goodwin but will fill that role.)  Okoro, Bell and Linssen will fill in for French.

Rumor was that Yaya Keita has been hurt.  No details, but yes, he has gone down.  "It breaks my heart">Earl.