Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

Interesting comment by Ford "Everybody becomes a better shooter when they get to the NBA."  "In practice, that is pretty much all you do is shoot.  Practices aren't quit the same as they are in college. There is more of an emphasis on offense in the NBA."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Review from the interview:

Francis Okoro:

Coach and the staff knew Okoro from AAU with BBE. He was pumping up their program over and over. He obviously knows it is a very important relationship. He noted how these transfer decisions have really sped up compared to prior years as there are no official visits really going on right now. A lot of the decisions are being made in a matter of days compared to a matter of weeks in the past. 

He said Okoro's stats are no where near indicative of him as a player. He almost NEVER touched the ball or had any plays as Oregon was primarily a perimeter oriented team. He talked about his competitiveness and that it is on the same level as Goodwin and Yuri's. He will do anything to help the team win and is big time academic and how school is a major factor. Moving forward the plan is for him to sit out next year, but if something were to change they would address it going forward. 

Andre Lorentsson:

He is an elite shooter and will rival Jimerson  on Day 1.  He handles the ball  well, great passer, but is not  an inside guy. The game that Ford saw him play in person on the east coast, Lorentsson hit 7 straight 3's in the game on the way to 37 points. 

Martin Linssen:

He is eligible to play immediately.  A low post bruising type of player that will provide depth down low.

He did speak about potentially redshirting a couple guys, but they'd discuss it more down the road. Obviously Okoro fits in here, not sure who else he'd be talking about potentially?

He did mention both Goodwin and French as seniors, so that is a good sign for those of you who are still freaking about they're not coming back. The staff supported both of them exploring their options and getting feedback. Obviously with everything going on the process is nowhere near what it would be normally as it's tough to get feedback.

Frank asked about potential budget cuts. Coach understands the situation and everyone will do their part. He was very complimentary of Pestello and May throughout this process and their leadership has been amazing.

I think the obvious choices are Strickland and Lorentsson.   They both have a lot of potential and minutes would be hard to come by in their freshman year.  

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think the obvious choices are Strickland and Lorentsson.   They both have a lot of potential and minutes would be hard to come by in their freshman year.  

Interesting.  What if,  by the construction of the roster,  Strickland and Lorentseon fit in the top 10 with their skill sets?

13 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Interesting.  What if,  by the construction of the roster,  Strickland and Lorentseon fit in the top 10 with their skill sets?

If they didn't have desirable skills, they never would have been recruited.  We're talking about minutes.  Hargrove couldn't even get on the floor last year with Thatch and Jimerson in the lineup.  Now those guys are returning AND you've brought in an experienced big who's eligible to play right away AND you have to find minutes for two freshmen?  It's a numbers game. 

I love that coaching staff is in a position where they're seriously considering at least one redshirt.  Gonzaga figured out the value of that strategy a loooong time ago.

Dr. Holly Hills, bauman and Zink like this

I just listened to the interview and tend to think the comment was more general than referring to a specific player. I would think either Strickland or Lorentsson could theoretically redshirt, depending on how they look in early practices. But I would be surprised if either does redshirt. 

With the current rules in place I don’t see how redshirting a player at a mid - major is a good idea. It sets you up for having a fifth year player that you have developed and counted on who has now graduated and able to move up a level. 

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Andre can rival Jimerson as a shooter and can hit 7, 3's in a row with TF watching and is living in a foreign country away from friends and family, I'm not thinking he is a prime candidate to redshirt. 

I do see somewhat of a logjam at the #3 position this year with JP getting most of the minutes and it being the most logical spot for Hargrove, Strickland , Thatch and to a lesser degree Jimerson.  When Perkins leaves the following year it will open up a lot of minutes at the 3 so maybe it does make sense for Strickland or Hargrove to retain a year of eligibility.  It would give TJ another year to develop his perimeter game if he WANTED to take the redshirt.  One other point to consider with regard to future roster construction is who does the staff feel they will bring in as next year recruits.  If we were fortunate enough to get Nesbitt and Kern that would certainly have an impact on players available to play the 3, the following year.

Having too much talent is starting to become a problem.

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

With the current rules in place I don’t see how redshirting a player at a mid - major is a good idea. It sets you up for having a fifth year player that you have developed and counted on who has now graduated and able to move up a level. 

Travis is a recruiting god walking amongst us mere mortals.  If it makes sense to him, it makes sense to me.....

meerkat and bauman like this

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

You have to coach season to season now. I'd rather have a guy leave as a grad transfer after sitting a year and playing 3 seasons than a guy who leaves as a disgruntled sophomore. If he comes in understanding from the start he needs a sit year before having a chance at the rotation, the long-term potential is probably better for both sides.

I understand that voluntary redshirts are mostly being replaced by prep seasons, but still. Probably makes sense for a lean, late-arriving international player like Lorentsson, for example.

DOC and billiken_roy like this

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

In 3-4 years, there will NOT be a moving UP level from the Bills!

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

2 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Andre Lorentsson:

He is an elite shooter and will rival Jimerson  on Day 1.  He handles the ball  well, great passer, but is not  an inside guy. The game that Ford saw him play in person on the east coast, Lorentsson hit 7 straight 3's in the game on the way to 37 points. 

Martin Linssen:

He is eligible to play immediately.  A low post bruising type of player that will provide depth down low.

-can this be pinned somewhere so folks don't try to make these guys someone they are not? perhaps and including the coaching staff?

1 hour ago, bauman said:

In 3-4 years, there will NOT be a moving UP level from the Bills!

We’re on a trajectory that gives us all that kind of confidence. I’m with you on the future of Team Blue. If we can get to the likes of Gonzaga and Xavier during that time span then I’m dead wrong. We have the right guy in charge and the amenities to go with it. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

You have to coach season to season now. I'd rather have a guy leave as a grad transfer after sitting a year and playing 3 seasons than a guy who leaves as a disgruntled sophomore. If he comes in understanding from the start he needs a sit year before having a chance at the rotation, the long-term potential is probably better for both sides.

I understand that voluntary redshirts are mostly being replaced by prep seasons, but still. Probably makes sense for a lean, late-arriving international player like Lorentsson, for example.

This is a really good point.

Even if someone leaves as a graduate transfer, the only thing you lost relative to not redshirting him is a few garbage minutes as a freshman. Assuming the player you are looking to redshirt isn't critical to success of that season, the one time disappointment that player gets from being told to redshirt isn't nearly as bad as the disappointment he get's 25+ times for every game when he doesn't get in after dressing out, etc.  

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Well you lose him for his most productive year of college. And then that begs the question as to why Diarra didn’t redshirt. 

You only redshirt someone who can help you later down the road.  I don't think Diarra fit that category.

billiken_roy likes this

Markhi Strickland comes in from Victory Rock prep.  Does that mean he's a fifth year high school senior?  Or did he graduate from this as his high school and is typical in age of a high school senior?

7 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Francis Okoro:

Coach and the staff knew Okoro from AAU with BBE. He was pumping up their program over and over. He obviously knows it is a very important relationship. He noted how these transfer decisions have really sped up compared to prior years as there are no official visits really going on right now. A lot of the decisions are being made in a matter of days compared to a matter of weeks in the past. 

He said Okoro's stats are no where near indicative of him as a player. He almost NEVER touched the ball or had any plays as Oregon was primarily a perimeter oriented team. He talked about his competitiveness and that it is on the same level as Goodwin and Yuri's. He will do anything to help the team win and is big time academic and how school is a major factor. Moving forward the plan is for him to sit out next year, but if something were to change they would address it going forward. 

Looking at Oregon stats from last season, their top four leading scorers were all guards, with game averages of 20, 13, 11 and 8 each. Their top two scoring forwards averaged of 7 and 4.5 point per game. Okoro averaged 3 points per game as a sophomore.

Rebounding: Their leading rebounder, a forward, averaged 6 per game. Next came two guards, averaging 5.6 and 4, then came Okoro, with 4.

These numbers show substance behind Ford's assessment.

SLU_Nick likes this

36 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Looking at Oregon stats from last season, their top four leading scorers were all guards, with game averages of 20

Dude was fun to watch. As it was for many programs and players, shame we didn’t get to see him in March.

A redshirt season could make sense, especially if the new players don't get a chance to spend the summer with the team.  The other major factor would be player health.  Right now we have two players, Thatch and Jimerson who were out most of last year.  We all hope they come back full speed, but you never really know until every one is going full speed.  It seems we always have at least 1 and often 2 players who can't play.  

IF everyone is healthy, then we are deep at the guard positions, especially wing and a redshirt season would make more sense. I would not expect a decision like that to be made until the dust settles.