Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Someone said he was late for a shoot around. Given his ups and downs, good one night disappears the next, I can see why coaches are frustrated. The kid's a talent. But looking at next year's possibilities what do you with him?  Jimerson returns and, hopefully, Fred, so where does he fit? If he says I commit fully, you keep him. He's good and you can never have enough good players. Never! 

I thought someone said, "maybe it was something like being late to a shoot around."

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, juniorbill76 said:

I thought someone said, "maybe it was something like being late to a shoot around."

You beat me to it. That is how a lot of internet myths get started. Someone gives a guess or opinion and it becomes a board fact. Not on your case 72 just pointing out how the process sometimes works. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

You beat me to it. That is how a lot of internet myths get started. Someone gives a guess or opinion and it becomes a board fact. Not on your case 72 just pointing out how the process sometimes works. 

The weird part is Ford isn’t 100% sure whether Jacobs will play.  Seems like discipline would be given and everyone would know the state of play. 

12 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The weird part is Ford isn’t 100% sure whether Jacobs will play.  Seems like discipline would be given and everyone would know the state of play. 

If it was something like late for practice or something, it could be because Ford is giving him certain things he has to do to be able to play like showing up early.  Just a complete guess but that was my thought is just he had to do certain things to be able to play.  

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on with Frank today on the Press Box  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Frank said ticket sales are going great for Saturday.

-this caught my eye, checked on the SLU site and there are a lot of tickets available, sorry for the repeat but perhaps charging $40 a ticket for upper level center court seats is not the way to fill the house as shown by 3 of the 4 sections showing 100+ unsold - hope this changes

9 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-this caught my eye, checked on the SLU site and there are a lot of tickets available, sorry for the repeat but perhaps charging $40 a ticket for upper level center court seats is not the way to fill the house as shown by 3 of the 4 sections showing 100+ unsold - hope this changes

Been checking on Stub Hub. With Dayton, tickets were disappearing and prices were going up. You can still get $8 tickets and there are about 600 total tickets. Hurts that spring break starts in about five hours. Let's hope the local students and those who're staying put come out tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Littlebill:  please explain yourself.  Why do mid-term grades mean something to an athlete?  

Athletes always have to keep their grades above a certain point. If at any time in the semester their grade falls below a certain point, there’s an issue. Midterms being a major grading point in the semester. With non-athletes, that threshold is lower. 

@Littlebillmaybe that's a team rule I am unaware of.  But how would one know about overall grades?  I guess a special monitoring system must be in place.  I am aware of a lot of seniors that just forego classes once they hit their eligibility requirements of first semester senior year as they prep for March Madness and departing school for their next steps.  I remember this being the case with the hated Bobby Brannen and local seniors or early outs like Jake Layton, Joe Smith and Juan Dixon to name a few at UMd.  I believe Tommie Liddell did the same his senior year at SLU.  

In my time, mid-terms were either a boot in the arse or a pat on the back.  You see a lot of college football players declared ineligible for bowl season as first term grades disqualify them.  I can't think of a single basketball player that happened to for March Madness.

If only we had a wizened SLU professor on the board who could answer with clarity.

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Isn't eligibility based on credits per semester?  While a coach might decide to send a message to a player based on mid-term reports, I'm 99 percent certain a poor mid-term report would not make a player ineligible for the rest of the semester.

Maybe it was just the school I attended - not NCAA. But that may be under the "violation of team rules" umbrella

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Littlebillmaybe that's a team rule I am unaware of.  But how would one know about overall grades?  I guess a special monitoring system must be in place.  I am aware of a lot of seniors that just forego classes once they hit their eligibility requirements of first semester senior year as they prep for March Madness and departing school for their next steps.  I remember this being the case with the hated Bobby Brannen and local seniors or early outs like Jake Layton, Joe Smith and Juan Dixon to name a few at UMd.  I believe Tommie Liddell did the same his senior year at SLU.  

In my time, mid-terms were either a boot in the arse or a pat on the back.  You see a lot of college football players declared ineligible for bowl season as first term grades disqualify them.  I can't think of a single basketball player that happened to for March Madness.

If only we had a wizened SLU professor on the board who could answer with clarity.

Yeah I'm stepping down on this one - I think I was wrong. My team in college had requirements where your grades had to be a certain level throughout the semester. That's not an NCAA rule though and I guess teams could allow kids to play until they're ineligible. They (coaches) do have a way to monitor their athlete's grades throughout the year though. I know that is true.

Peace.  I do know that our Athletic Department monitors our guys in different, multiple ways.  Tutors.  Class attendance.  Academic progress.  Some folks like to give May crap when he says its about the "student athletes" but I believe him and Oberle and Hayden and others when I talk to them.  I interpret those statements to be genuine .... just like all the positives being expressed over Fred's medical situation.

And the big man ---- Chaifetz ---- literally acts like he adopts all these guys so I think on that account, SLU practices what it preaches.  Ditto on the summer exhibits of the team dining at Ford's house.

cgeldmacher likes this

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Peace.  I do know that our Athletic Department monitors our guys in different, multiple ways.  Tutors.  Class attendance.  Academic progress.  Some folks like to give May crap when he says its about the "student athletes" but I believe him and Oberle and Hayden and others when I talk to them.  I interpret those statements to be genuine .... just like all the positives being expressed over Fred's medical situation.

And the big man ---- Chaifetz ---- literally acts like he adopts all these guys so I think on that account, SLU practices what it preaches.  Ditto on the summer exhibits of the team dining at Ford's house.

it's the reason i am most proud to proclaim for my reasoning to be a billiken fan.   we do have some correct priorities.

slufanskip and Reinert310 like this

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Littlebill

I will not speak to any specific cases (it's illegal, for one thing!).  But there are established patterns for any student, athlete or otherwise, after even one semester at SLU.  Sophomores right now have 3 full semesters of a track record. And possibly one or 2 summer classes.  So we have a pretty good idea of performance by now, for any sophomore.  Midterm week is when many red flags occur.  A student who fails to turn in a midterm paper or show up or pass a midterm exam -- that's a serious red flag.  Now I have to check their status, transcript, and even look at previous red flags/ reports--which are available to me.  With our system, Banner, all this is pretty easy and quick.  If I see a pattern, now I gotta hunt down that student, and yes, "motivate" them.  Because after the Break, it is all downhill and it all slides away pretty quickly.  In other word: now is often the "moment of truth" with any student... And if a student is going down with the ship, in one or more classes, well -- we know it by now. (AGAIN, I am not speaking about any specific cases, just generalizing).  But I will say, in the past 20 years since I've been here, there is a long list of basketball players at SLU who really struggled in the classroom -- or just gave up trying in a few cases I know of.

Everything I'm saying here is overseen quite diligently by our staff in the AD: in particular, by Janet Oberle last I heard.  She and her staff do a terrific job and I am proud to know them, and have worked with them in the past.  Despite what several MBM's have said in the past, SLU now has a highly competitive student pool and it takes some work to get C's and above, especially for those who come here somewhat unprepared.  There can often be a huge difference among student writing within the same class, for example.  I've been reading midterm papers this morning, and believe me, a couple of them are like grad student level.  And a couple are --let's just say -- somewhat unimpressive if not obtuse.  So yes, -- if you flew through SLU with little or no effort, then good for you. 

But I came here from Michigan State, where the open admissions brought me many student athletes who could barely read and write at a 8th grade level.  I'm not kidding.  We do not get that level of open-enrollment, totally unprepared student.  But in fact, in terms of athletics: it does mean we are somewhat limited in who can come to SLU; or Stanford, Duke, Yale, Notre Dame, etc.

HoosierPal likes this

59 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it's the reason i am most proud to proclaim for my reasoning to be a billiken fan.   we do have some correct priorities.

Our priorities in hoops seem to be to win and doing what it takes to win. And that is where I want them to be. If you want to walk the walk so to say in all other sports and maybe sacrifice some wins to do so, I’m fine with that. But with hoops, just win baby and I think that is in line with our current program. Hopefully we see Jacobs in Brooklyn as we make another run!

46 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Our priorities in hoops seem to be to win and doing what it takes to win. And that is where I want them to be. If you want to walk the walk so to say in all other sports and maybe sacrifice some wins to do so, I’m fine with that. But with hoops, just win baby and I think that is in line with our current program. Hopefully we see Jacobs in Brooklyn as we make another run!

If Jacobs the ghost remains unseen not sure it makes a difference other than a depth issue...TJ playing better and we did it going 6-7 deep last year. 

13 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-there have been at least two tickets purchased in these 4 sections in 13 hours

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I will not speak to any specific cases (it's illegal, for one thing!).  But there are established patterns for any student, athlete or otherwise, after even one semester at SLU.  Sophomores right now have 3 full semesters of a track record. And possibly one or 2 summer classes.  So we have a pretty good idea of performance by now, for any sophomore.  Midterm week is when many red flags occur.  A student who fails to turn in a midterm paper or show up or pass a midterm exam -- that's a serious red flag.  Now I have to check their status, transcript, and even look at previous red flags/ reports--which are available to me.  With our system, Banner, all this is pretty easy and quick.  If I see a pattern, now I gotta hunt down that student, and yes, "motivate" them.  Because after the Break, it is all downhill and it all slides away pretty quickly.  In other word: now is often the "moment of truth" with any student... And if a student is going down with the ship, in one or more classes, well -- we know it by now. (AGAIN, I am not speaking about any specific cases, just generalizing).  But I will say, in the past 20 years since I've been here, there is a long list of basketball players at SLU who really struggled in the classroom -- or just gave up trying in a few cases I know of.

Everything I'm saying here is overseen quite diligently by our staff in the AD: in particular, by Janet Oberle last I heard.  She and her staff do a terrific job and I am proud to know them, and have worked with them in the past.  Despite what several MBM's have said in the past, SLU now has a highly competitive student pool and it takes some work to get C's and above, especially for those who come here somewhat unprepared.  There can often be a huge difference among student writing within the same class, for example.  I've been reading midterm papers this morning, and believe me, a couple of them are like grad student level.  And a couple are --let's just say -- somewhat unimpressive if not obtuse.  So yes, -- if you flew through SLU with little or no effort, then good for you. 

But I came here from Michigan State, where the open admissions brought me many student athletes who could barely read and write at a 8th grade level.  I'm not kidding.  We do not get that level of open-enrollment, totally unprepared student.  But in fact, in terms of athletics: it does mean we are somewhat limited in who can come to SLU; or Stanford, Duke, Yale, Notre Dame, etc.

I will defer to your knowledge on this subject.  You certainly have more creds in this area than most of us.  However, the question that came to my mind as I read your last paragraph was that SLU has always said since the Upchurch issue that any player that meets the NCAA standards for admission meets ours. Has this changed?

Old guy likes this