Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

Coach with Frank on the Press Box.  Segment 3, Feb  27.  This was referenced in another thread, but I can't find that thread anymore.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Coach stated that this was the first opponent who game planned against Perkins.  In the first half they had an opponent at 'the nail' in the middle of the zone, taking away Perkin's sweat spot.  In the second half we had him run the baseline and opened him up.  That's the respect he is getting in the league.

Frank asked why Perkins had only two offers, SLU and Louisiana-Monroe.  Coach said Perkins committed early to Monroe and that kept people away.  When he waivered, Coach jumped in immediately and put a full court press on him, not allowing anyone else to recruit him.  Coach said he was very hard on Javonte early on.  Mostly he was hard on his D.  We needed him to come around sooner than a Freshman.  'When you get on him he gets better.  He sometimes floats around early in a game.  He needs something good to happen and then he takes off.  I jumped him early last night, and he took off." 

Frank suggested a new recruiting motto "come play with Yuri".  He lead guys to buckets - on time and on target.  He is thinking the game as well as using his instincts. 

Frank mentioned the oral commitment, but Ford of course couldn't comment.  "You are never done recruiting."  We need difference makers to take the place of Goodwin, French and Perkins.  "To next year's (2021) class -we are recruiting you to be a star."

Then the discussion on transfers which was covered in the other thread.  An interesting remark by Ford, "Everyone is going to recruit transfers first, not freshmen or junior college players first."  Ford is for giving players free transfer if the coach leaves.  "Siting out a year usually helps 'them' get a better education."  Coach thinks this is a done deal, 99% certain, this spring.  Coach wants a stop date on transfers, he suggested June 1, whereby you have to go or stay, so that coaches know what they have on their roster.  A10 currently has a rule that says you cannot transfer in league, unless you are a graduate transfer.  He doesn't know if that will still be the case this spring.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach with Frank on the Press Box.  Segment 3, Feb  27.  This was referenced in another thread, but I can't find that thread anymore.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Coach stated that this was the first opponent who game planned against Perkins.  In the first half they had an opponent at 'the nail' in the middle of the zone, taking away Perkin's sweat spot.  In the second half we had him run the baseline and opened him up.  That's the respect he is getting in the league.

Frank asked why Perkins had only two offers, SLU and Louisiana-Monroe.  Coach said Perkins committed early to Monroe and that kept people away.  When he waivered, Coach jumped in immediately and put a full court press on him, not allowing anyone else to recruit him.  Coach said he was very hard on Javonte early on.  Mostly he was hard on his D.  We needed him to come around sooner than a Freshman.  'When you get on him he gets better.  He sometimes floats around early in a game.  He needs something good to happen and then he takes off.  I jumped him early last night, and he took off." 

Frank suggested a new recruiting motto "come play with Yuri".  He lead guys to buckets - on time and on target.  He is thinking the game as well as using his instincts. 

Frank mentioned the oral commitment, but Ford of course couldn't comment.  "You are never done recruiting."  We need difference makers to take the place of Goodwin, French and Perkins.  "To next year's (2021) class -we are recruiting you to be a star."

Then the discussion on transfers which was covered in the other thread.  An interesting remark by Ford, "Everyone is going to recruit transfers first, not freshmen or junior college players first."  Ford is for giving players free transfer if the coach leaves.  "Siting out a year usually helps 'them' get a better education."  Coach thinks this is a done deal, 99% certain, this spring.  Coach wants a stop date on transfers, he suggested June 1, whereby you have to go or stay, so that coaches know what they have on their roster.  A10 currently has a rule that says you cannot transfer in league, unless you are a graduate transfer.  He doesn't know if that will still be the case this spring.

Perkins is so sweet, he doesn't have a sweat spot!

I have always asserted that kids sign with coaches, not schools.  If the coach leaves, you should be free to transfer unencumbered.  I read about the HC football at Georgia discussing this new transfer rule.  He was against it, saying (and I paraphrase here) 'I develop a kid for two or three years and then someone with the bright lights and big city says come play on my national championship team and the kid up and leaves."  That seems totally unfair to the school in such a case.  In the other thread, there is talk about normal college students transferring all the time.  Maybe athletes can transfer without the benefit of a scholarship .... pay your  own way as the regular college kids do.  Earn a scholarship for the next year, if there is one.  At the service academies, you transfer or flunk out and you owe the government X years of academy tuition.

Add pay-for-play for these kids and you've got free agency in the college game without the benefit of other guys on two, three, four year deals.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I have always asserted that kids sign with coaches, not schools.  If the coach leaves, you should be free to transfer unencumbered.  I read about the HC football at Georgia discussing this new transfer rule.  He was against it, saying (and I paraphrase here) 'I develop a kid for two or three years and then someone with the bright lights and big city says come play on my national championship team and the kid up and leaves."  That seems totally unfair to the school in such a case.  In the other thread, there is talk about normal college students transferring all the time.  Maybe athletes can transfer without the benefit of a scholarship .... pay your  own way as the regular college kids do.  Earn a scholarship for the next year, if there is one.  At the service academies, you transfer or flunk out and you owe the government X years of academy tuition.

Add pay-for-play for these kids and you've got free agency in the college game without the benefit of other guys on two, three, four year deals.  

Pretty much agree with you (for once😀).  Add to this what Ford said, recruiting will have an increased focus towards current team's players.  You will save that last scholarship for a transfer rather than give it to a freshman. 

I'm sure all of us will continue to root for the Billikens next season after French, Jimerson, and Perkins transfer out and we backfill with SIUE bench players.  The uniforms will be the same.

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm sure all of us will continue to root for the Billikens next season after French, Jimerson, and Perkins transfer out and we backfill with SIUE bench players.  The uniforms will be the same.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us will be looking for a tall bridge if those guys get recruited away from the Fetz. Think back to Sit 2 for a minute, though, would JGood still be a Billiken if this rule were in effect then? I'd wager he'd be an Illini or playing for Coach Poach. Speaking of Coach Poach and this rule, it's akin to having the fox moving his den right next door to your chicken coop. You can bet he'll be tracking SLU's players non stop. 

When is this rule supposed to go into effect? 

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Pretty much agree with you (for once😀).  Add to this what Ford said, recruiting will have an increased focus towards current team's players.  You will save that last scholarship for a transfer rather than give it to a freshman. 

Thankfully most young men are not as cynical as we are.  

HoosierPal likes this

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of us will be looking for a tall bridge if those guys get recruited away from the Fetz. Think back to Sit 2 for a minute, though, would JGood still be a Billiken if this rule were in effect then? I'd wager he'd be an Illini or playing for Coach Poach. Speaking of Coach Poach and this rule, it's akin to having the fox moving his den right next door to your chicken coop. You can bet he'll be tracking SLU's players non stop. 

When is this rule supposed to go into effect? 

I'm not sure when this will go into effect.  Yesterday Coach said he felt it was 99% certain to be adopted, and he mentioned it being here this spring.  Now, will it be immediate, or will it be for following the 2020-21 season?  I don't know.

This rule change promises to be a bonanza for middle to lousy Power 5’s looking for the quick fix, and a disaster for those below the Power 5  trying to build programs the old fashioned way with players staying 4 years. The High Majors outside the Power 5 + 1 or 2 will be forced to raid the Mid-Majors, the Mid-Majors will be forced to raid the Low Cons, and the Low Cons Will raid High Division 2. This was discussed this morning on Frank Cusumano’s Pressbox on 590 The Fan.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I wonder if the NCAA ever polled D1 AD's about changing the rule. You have to think the majority would pretty much be dead set against it. I'm sure 90% or so of HC's don't like it. 

If the D1 AD's are against it, then it won't happen. They make up much of the Division 1 council. And by the way, 32 of the 41 members of the D1 council come from Mid-Major conferences.

Not Coach Ford, but AD Chris May and Doug Elgin were on with Frank this morning on the Press Box.  They discussed this transfer rule.  Elgin said we do need to change the landscape but he doesn' think this is the answer.  As most of us have posted, he said it will only benefit the higher level schools, and the poaching will go down the tree.  May said "yeah, it sounds great, but it is fraught with danger and challenges.  It is proven, that when kids transfer, it pushes their graduation back.  It is harder to graduate when you transfer."

May:  "At the end of the day we are here to help the kids get an education.  For the top 1%, it will be great for them."   

Both Elgin and May were in agreement that if a coach leaves, players should be able to go. "It's better than this transfer rule."  Both also want a deadline for transfers.

NIL comments:  Elgin, 20 some states have legislation in the pipeline or passed on this.  Probably the most complex situation in sports he has seen.  Need to keep things level that don't give any conference an advantage.  May thinks this will go into effect in 20-21.  The details need to be worked out.  How do you keep this out of the recruiting world.  How do you insure that selling your NIL are sold at market rate.  What third parties will be representing players and players families?  What do you do in the high schools?  It will go down to high school players who have committed to colleges. 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Taj.

Totally agree about players signing with the coaches, not the schools.   At the same time, I had more sympathy for the new recruits who had to honor their commitment to the school while their coach breached his contract and left the school under the current rules.   Not only b/c it could be a tough year for the new recruit with a completely different coach, different style, different everything but also b/c the only way to change from such a bad situation is to transfer and sit out a year.   Now, if the kids can simply leave after 1 year, I have less sympathy.  Even if you coach leaves, play a year and then you can move on seems reasonable.   Not that I have no sympathy - just less.

I also, though, feel bad for the school which is trying to put out a good product.   In fact, the school probably did put out a good product - which is why they just lost their head coach.   In such an event, they lose not only their head coach/staff but also they lose their incoming class, and then if both are gone, they now lose what should be their returning class?  The new coach is supposed to reload the whole team - all in late Spring?   And now, then I assume that new head coach will go out and try to find players - and guess what - this new coach now has alot of playing time to sell.    So I am sure he can then raid the P5 schools and offer their lesser kids immediate playing time?  Or will there be a deadline by when guys won't be able to transfer (which would normally seem reasonable) but which would then prevent the mid major from stealing players back?

We see it all the time with the coaching carousal.   P5 coach gets fired late, mid-major then loses their coach who goes to vacant P5 position even later and then lower tier D1 team loses their head coach even later as their coach goes to the vacant mid-major position.  Similar run on players?   If it's all about the kids - then deadlines, right?  I know Travis Ford wants a deadline -- a coach has to know who will be playing for him and to prevent even more poaching by guys like Cuonzo Martin.

And last I heard, professional programs who lose free agents are then awarded cash and draft picks to compensate them for time and investments.   How about college basketball programs?  What will their compensation be ...?  I thought so.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

At the end of the day we are here to help the kids get an education.

My only hope is that the system changes enough so we can just stop even pretending this. I stop listening once anyone says student athlete in these discussions of major college basketball and football.

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

My only hope is that the system changes enough so we can just stop even pretending this. I stop listening once anyone says student athlete in these discussions of major college basketball and football.

It depends what you mean by "major" - if you are focused on some high profile programs like Kentucky, yes, the concept of the student athlete is a sham, but there are more than 350 D1 programs. There are always going to be some knuckleheads and a few who really have no interest in getting an education, but I would venture to say, the majority of college athletes still take advantage of the opportunity to get an education and turn out to be productive members of society.

Coach was on with Frank today on the Press Box  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Last night's game:  Coach doesn't like staying on the road.  No time to 'gather' after Rhode Island.  Thought defense was good and offense was okay.  Too sloppy with too many turnovers.

Hargrove:  Frank "was that shot one of those No, No, No...Yes".  Coach, yes it was.  Day before at George Mason, Coach was working with Hargrove on his three point shot. He was making them and coach thought he was shooting well.  For most of the night, Coach was upset with TJ because he wasn't playing well.  But when he broke down the game tape, he saw that TJ did a lot of good things defensively, better than he thought.  Coach said that next year you should see Hargrove taking 3 to 5 three pointers per game.  How we are playing him makes him take guys off the dribble.

Coach said there is too much to think about on the various this weekend scenarios.   "I think we are tied for third or fourth" and "We just need to beat St. Bonaventure." 

Frank said ticket sales are going great for Saturday.

Frank mentions Perkins efficient shooting last night.  Perkins scores our first 7 in the second half.  Could have had a 30 point night if he had hit his FT's.  Perkins offense separated us.

Frank, this was five or six consecutive games over 50% shooting.  Shot 4 3's the game before and 13 last night.  Coach: we have not told our team to take or not take three's.  Take shots you can make.  We get the ball inside a lot with a post entry or dribble penetration, and then kick it out.  A lot of times defenders run at you, and we work at driving at the defender towards the basket. 

Ford "Jacobs may not play Saturday, but he will be back."

Coach commented that Crutcher's shot was worth 15 NET points.  "If it doesn't go in, we would be in the 30's. Yes we lost the UMass game that we shouldn't have.  Keep that loss there, but look at the type of team this is." 

Pistol likes this

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on with Frank today on the Press Box  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Last night's game:  Coach doesn't like staying on the road.  No time to 'gather' after Rhode Island.  Thought defense was good and offense was okay.  Too sloppy with too many turnovers.

Hargrove:  Frank "was that shot one of those No, No, No...Yes".  Coach, yes it was.  Day before at George Mason, Coach was working with Hargrove on his three point shot. He was making them and coach thought he was shooting well.  For most of the night, Coach was upset with TJ because he wasn't playing well.  But when he broke down the game tape, he saw that TJ did a lot of good things defensively, better than he thought.  Coach said that next year you should see Hargrove taking 3 to 5 three pointers per game.  How we are playing him makes him take guys off the dribble.

Coach said there is too much to think about on the various this weekend scenarios.   "I think we are tied for third or fourth" and "We just need to beat St. Bonaventure." 

Frank said ticket sales are going great for Saturday.

Frank mentions Perkins efficient shooting last night.  Perkins scores our first 7 in the second half.  Could have had a 30 point night if he had hit his FT's.  Perkins offense separated us.

Frank, this was five or six consecutive games over 50% shooting.  Shot 4 3's the game before and 13 last night.  Coach: we have not told our team to take or not take three's.  Take shots you can make.  We get the ball inside a lot with a post entry or dribble penetration, and then kick it out.  A lot of times defenders run at you, and we work at driving at the defender towards the basket. 

Ford "Jacobs may not play Saturday, but he will be back."

Coach commented that Crutcher's shot was worth 15 NET points.  "If it doesn't go in, we would be in the 30's. Yes we lost the UMass game that we shouldn't have.  Keep that loss there, but look at the type of team this is." 

Really wondering what Jacobs had to do to get suspended...
Just seems like an all around hard worker and not a trouble maker. 

27 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Really wondering what Jacobs had to do to get suspended...
Just seems like an all around hard worker and not a trouble maker. 

He’s a 20 year old kid. Kids do stupid things sometimes. We all did. We make mistakes. He’ll be better for it in the end. No biggie, just be smarter next time DJ.

Someone said he was late for a shoot around. Given his ups and downs, good one night disappears the next, I can see why coaches are frustrated. The kid's a talent. But looking at next year's possibilities what do you with him?  Jimerson returns and, hopefully, Fred, so where does he fit? If he says I commit fully, you keep him. He's good and you can never have enough good players. Never!