Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

crews is the worst coach in billiken history.   he had nothing to do with the two good seasons those 4 rickma players were so well drilled they could have won with my 91 year old mother coaching.   you truly are dazed and confused.    one question, are you and spoonball the same?  i dont know who is more tilky like.   

"hey I am fine with crews getting the job. he had a heck of a year as the coach under a difficult scenario. I am in the camp that he deserve the opportunity to try"..."I truly understand what he has earned"

You seem a little dazed and confused @billiken_roy

image.thumb.png.ab7cee67c2952574a9c426ff1eb90e2a.png

BuiltFordBills likes this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think Roy's position there in 2013 is pretty solid. He said he'd rather have another guy but that it's kinda what May had to do. He also said what Crews had to do with the roster, and he was right. Crews failed to follow up that big class with anything. He didn't recruit the right guys for his system. He failed to develop any of them or adapt to the players he had.

And he's right that anyone could've succeeded with what Majerus left him - a core of guys that could run his system on autopilot for two years. And the more Crews got involved, the worse they were (they were at their most efficient in 2012 and least in 2014, basically relying on Jett to make big shots at the end of every game their senior year). The interviews with former players from that era on @The House That Rick Built podcast have also confirmed this to be the case. They had Rick's lessons drilled in for two years, played 2012-2013 on autopilot, and Crews forced himself into things more when they were seniors. They collapsed at the end of that season after he overpracticed them and tried to implement other things.

RUBillsFan likes this

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I actually think Roy's position there in 2013 is pretty solid. He said he'd rather have another guy but that it's kinda what May had to do. He also said what Crews had to do with the roster, and he was right. Crews failed to follow up that big class with anything. He didn't recruit the right guys for his system. He failed to develop any of them or adapt to the players he had.

And he's right that anyone could've succeeded with what Majerus left him - a core of guys that could run his system on autopilot for two years. And the more Crews got involved, the worse they were (they were at their most efficient in 2012 and least in 2014, basically relying on Jett to make big shots at the end of every game their senior year). The interviews with former players from that era on @The House That Rick Built podcast have also confirmed this to be the case. They had Rick's lessons drilled in for two years, played 2012-2013 on autopilot, and Crews forced himself into things more when they were seniors. They collapsed at the end of that season after he overpracticed them and tried to implement other things.

I think it’s 100% a solid post in 2013. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of calling me a troll for suggesting Crews wasn’t terrible his role with Majerus' guys while also holding that same belief in 2013

7 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I think it’s 100% a solid post in 2013. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of calling me a troll for suggesting Crews wasn’t terrible his 2 years with Majerus guys while also holding that same belief in 2013

Yeah, I got you. You're definitely not a troll.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I got you. You're definitely not a troll.

@glazedandconfused is def not a troll.  I really appreciate his statistical / analytical contributions to the board.

BUT

Him changing his avatar to the Crews picture was troll-ish behavior.

I'm done talking about Crews because it puts me in a bad mood and seems to bring out negative attitudes for everyone on the board.

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

@glazedandconfused is def not a troll.  I really appreciate his statistical / analytical contributions to the board.

BUT

Him changing his avatar to the Crews picture was troll-ish behavior.

I'm done talking about Crews because it puts me in a bad mood and seems to bring out negative attitudes for everyone on the board.

Because he’s getting sh!t on for no reason.

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I have not seen an announcement, will there be a show tonight? 

At the end of the show last week. Rammer said this week's show would be a 'Special Coach's Show'. The team of course is in Amherst.

A total guess on my part, this could be the Lisa Stone Show tonight.  

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

At the end of the show last week. Rammer said this week's show would be a 'Special Coach's Show'. The team of course is in Amherst.

A total guess on my part, this could be the Lisa Stone Show tonight.  

You are correct.  Coach Stone, and the show's host is not Rammer.  (I didn't catch the guy's name.)

Couple other points from Frank's interview today with Coach:  He said that he was probably as upset in the UMass locker room as he has been for awhile.  We need to regroup....no one is feeling sorry for us, we can't hang our head, as we have one of the toughest challenges coming into Chaifetz.

Frank remarked that every year Ford has been down to a short bench at the end of the year.  Hargrove was set back 2 or 3 days with his ankle.  Hankton was out of action for 2 or 3 weeks with his bad back.  KC came back 4 or 5 days ago.  Both should be ready for more action Friday.   Of the remaining players only Goodwin and French played in last year's A10 Tourney, so only they know what it takes to win the tourney.  

On Collins, Frank talked about his offensive inconsistency.  He has played most of the season with two bad hands, and before Christmas they were really bad.  He won't sit out practices.  They have been working with him on his floaters.  In HS he just beat defenders to the rim.  College ball is different for him.  Ford said sometimes he needs to slow down and don't rely on instincts. He is learning those things.

Fred practices 30 to 40 minutes per day.  Frank: "How do the two redshirts effect recruiting?"  Ford:  "We feel good where we are at. A couple of pieces we would like to add." 

VCU picked preseason #1.  Veteran team.  Two preseason all conference picks.  8 pm game.  Blue Out Night. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Couple other points from Frank's interview today with Coach:  He said that he was probably as upset in the UMass locker room as he has been for awhile.  We need to regroup....no one is feeling sorry for us, we can't hang our head, as we have one of the toughest challenges coming into Chaifetz.

Frank remarked that every year Ford has been down to a short bench at the end of the year.  Hargrove was set back 2 or 3 days with his ankle.  Hankton was out of action for 2 or 3 weeks with his bad back.  KC came back 4 or 5 days ago.  Both should be ready for more action Friday.   Of the remaining players only Goodwin and French played in last year's A10 Tourney, so only they know what it takes to win the tourney.  

On Collins, Frank talked about his offensive inconsistency.  He has played most of the season with two bad hands, and before Christmas they were really bad.  He won't sit out practices.  They have been working with him on his floaters.  In HS he just beat defenders to the rim.  College ball is different for him.  Ford said sometimes he needs to slow down and don't rely on instincts. He is learning those things.

Fred practices 30 to 40 minutes per day. 

VCU picked preseason #1.  Veteran team.  Two preseason all conference picks.  8 pm game.  Blue Out Night. Frank: "How do the two redshirts effect recruiting?"  Ford:  "We feel good where we are at. A couple of pieces we would like to add." 

Frank: "How do the two redshirts effect recruiting?"  Ford:  "We feel good where we are at. A couple of pieces we would like to add." 

Interesting.  So who's leaving?  Only way to add a couple of pieces is to have two scholarships to give.  Here's hoping for a PG and an athletic shooting big who can defend at the 4 spot.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I can't imagine that he is eligible. His transcripts must be a nightmare.

I think he still is, at least i would think he still is. Only 2 semesters of D1 so a full year. Plus only 2 semesters in JUCO so 2 complete years combined. 

But no way does this have anything to do with SLU