Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So you're saying it wasn't Crews's decision to press or that it wasn't a press that he designed?

I am saying it was the basket driving that brought us back in the game and we had the horses who could pull it off.  As far as the press goes - I agree he probably told them to do it but it was only successful because the horse were there.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm pretty sure it was reported that we never even practiced a press before that game.  I'm not sure how that you can give Crews credit for that.

We won because NC State missed a bunch of FTs and we basically stopped playing the way Crews had coached them all season.  I'm more confident that it was just the senior players saying f*ck it, we're way behind in this game, let's go out on our own terms and it worked because NC State hadn't scouted / planned for that.

-this is contradictory, they stopped playing the way they had been coached all season - which got us to the Tourney - and then made an in game adjustment that also had success

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Crews's ceiling as a coach was the Valley. He hit that ceiling.  He failed at Army retired.  Any coach other than Rick Majerus would have left it that way.  Rick was Rick.  It is what it is.

I recall reading comments from Crews' wife that they became best buddies when they were coaching a USA team. Ain't what you know, but more about who you know. As you said, just Rick being Rick. 

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am saying it was the basket driving that brought us back in the game and we had the horses who could pull it off.  As far as the press goes - I agree he probably told them to do it but it was only successful because the horse were there.

John Manning, Tanner Lancona, Austin McBroom and Grandy Glaze played a total of 60 minutes that game and each scored in the last Min of the game or OT. Dwayne Evans and Barnett both fouled out. The horses needed a rider and cowboy crews wrangled them up (I think im using blue font correctly)

4 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

There’s no proof a new hire would’ve done an equal/better job than Jim Crews. In fact, without some really good coaching we don’t beat Nc State in the tournament in the first place. I’m also agreeing that it would’ve been nice to replace Jim after the Jett senior year, but there’s just no way they were going to drop him after the interim year, unless SLU thought they were going to land a big name coach. I don’t care if a handful of random Billikens.com posters wanted him gone, we don’t run the program.

Are you serious?  You defend Crews and then you distance yourself when multiple posters call you out.  You keep the picture of Crews on your avatar/name.   Guess this is your 15 minutes of fame?  Enjoy it.

14 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Are you serious?  You defend Crews and then you distance yourself when multiple posters call you out.  You keep the picture of Crews on your avatar/name.   Guess this is your 15 minutes of fame?  Enjoy it.

1. I just jokingly changed my profile picture to crews like an hour ago (was Soderberg)

2. I only defended crews for not being atrocious when he had majerus’ players

3. I’m agreeing that overall he was bad considering he didn’t recruit anyone

4. I don’t know why you think i’m going for 15 minutes of fame when it’s a Billikens.com message board and I’m an anonymous user. 

5. Is it a bad thing if multiple posters changed my opinion? They made good points.  I thought that was encouraged around here idk.

Littlebill likes this

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not only was it implausible (or impractical, at least) to refrain from removing the interim tag from Crews after '13, but it also would have been an injustice (not to mention expensive) to fire him after '14 (as you suggest would have been "nice").  Once they made the decision to make him the permanent coach after he won the (babysitter-disguised-as) coach of the year honor in '13, they had to give him adequate time to demonstrate whether he could maintain an acceptable program level with his own recruits.  That meant he had to have a full-term contract to recruit with, complete with the buyouts.  And it wouldn't have appeared fair to dismiss him after the first bad year, because it takes longer than one year with one recruiting class to get the system rolling — I think every coach proves that.

I have to agree with 3-Star; in hindsight, everything turned out the way it had to, and in the long run it has been for the best.

Thicks.  That is ridiculous. Doing well with other guys' players is not (and was not) proper grounds to hire Jim Crews as our permanent coach.   AD May should have known better - and I believe knew better.  There was nothing in Crews' prior coaching history to warrant a head coaching job - especially with us.   Crews had only been with our program a short time - and did not recruit.  AD May had the support of Novellly & Chaveitz and I cannot believe either pushed for Jim Crews.  By mismanaging the situation, and then being silent after the season, AD May put SLU in a tougher spot.   Even so, AD's are required to make tough but necessary decisions.  If our Board knew that Jim Crews was a bad coach who won only with RM's players, then why did AD May not know this?  Crews never should have been hired. End of story.  For you to act like AD May had no choice is an excuse.  Leaders do the right thing - then don't check the polls and follow the changing winds of conventional wisdom.

But yes, I agree that if a coach is hired (and that would include Crews), then a proper multi year contract with buyout would be necessary.   And after year 2, (1st year without Jett, Evans, Loe and McCall) Crews should have been fired.  Butler hired that head coach and fired him after 1 year I believe -- but then again, Butler takes basketball more seriously than us and is in the Big East (not us) for a reason.

Adman likes this

11 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

1. I just jokingly changed my profile picture to crews like an hour ago (was Soderberg)

4. I don’t know why you think i’m going for 15 minutes of fame when it’s a Billikens.com message board and I’m an anonymous user. 

5. Is it a bad thing if multiple posters changed my opinion? They made good points.  I thought that was encouraged around here idk.

@Clock_Tower, please state how that was a troll post. I'm literally agreeing that you guys made good points and changed my mind.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

crews is the worst coach in billiken history.   he had nothing to do with the two good seasons those 4 rickma players were so well drilled they could have won with my 91 year old mother coaching.   you truly are dazed and confused.    one question, are you and spoonball the same?  i dont know who is more tilky like.   

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thicks.  That is ridiculous. Doing well with other guys' players is not (and was not) proper grounds to hire Jim Crews as our permanent coach.   AD May should have known better - and I believe knew better.  There was nothing in Crews' prior coaching history to warrant a head coaching job - especially with us.   Crews had only been with our program a short time - and did not recruit.  AD May had the support of Novellly & Chaveitz and I cannot believe either pushed for Jim Crews.  By mismanaging the situation, and then being silent after the season, AD May put SLU in a tougher spot.   Even so, AD's are required to make tough but necessary decisions.  If our Board knew that Jim Crews was a bad coach who won only with RM's players, then why did AD May not know this?  Crews never should have been hired. End of story.  For you to act like AD May had no choice is an excuse.  Leaders do the right thing - then don't check the polls and follow the changing winds of conventional wisdom.

But yes, I agree that if a coach is hired (and that would include Crews), then a proper multi year contract with buyout would be necessary.   And after year 2, (1st year without Jett, Evans, Loe and McCall) Crews should have been fired.  Butler hired that head coach and fired him after 1 year I believe -- but then again, Butler takes basketball more seriously than us and is in the Big East (not us) for a reason.

Some of this seems like revisionist history to me.  Part of me wants you to find and link the posts you made during February and March of 2013 that prove you knew Crews should not be retained even while he was winning COY, but another part of me wants to agree to disagree.  I think, though, that calling my take and/or May's approach "ridiculous" is (at least) a tad inflammatory.

willie likes this

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

crews is the worst coach in billiken history.   he had nothing to do with the two good seasons those 4 rickma players were so well drilled they could have won with my 91 year old mother coaching.   you truly are dazed and confused.    one question, are you and spoonball the same?  i dont know who is more tilky like.   

How is me BARELY defending Crews' 2 years with Majerus' players and then being persuaded by the group that Crews was in fact always bad being taken as a troll? I honestly think you're missing the mark here.

And obviously I am not the same guy as spoonball. I assume you're just trying to ask that as some sort of insult though.

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I think Glazed has become a good member of Bills.com 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

one question, are you and spoonball the same?  i dont know who is more tilky like.   

1) They're obviously not the same person.

2) Neither are likely tilky. Tilky was here to sh*t on the program and had a very distinct spacing style among all his alternative accounts. Spoonball18 is here just to call people snowflakes and spam subpar memes.

Littlebill likes this

9 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

1) They're obviously not the same person.

2) Neither are likely tilky. Tilky was here to sh*t on the program and had a very distinct spacing style among all his alternative accounts. Spoonball18 is here just to call people snowflakes and spam subpar memes.

I detect traces of Trav in S18.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Clock, absolutely correct. I'll go one further. The biggest problem with the Crews hire is that it violated one of the University's two key strategies in the building of a Top 50 program: a top-flight coach. This is all about recruiting. Kids want to come play for high-level coaches. I know nothing about the behind-the-scenes deliberations on this. But Rick Majerus vs Jim Crews? No one would describe Jim Crews as a top-flight coach in any imaginable metric... nor find him comparable in most any way to Majerus. And said in most basic way, if you asked 100 top recruits if they'd rather come play for Rick Majerus or Jim Crews, how many would you guess would say Crews? There's your answer. As you say, end of story.