Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

52 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 3 Coach's Show with Rammer:

The St Joe Showdown between Daly and Perkins was incredible.  Game tape didn't show anything that we could have done differently on Daly.  Nothing St Joe could have done on Perkins either.  

I agree there wasn't anything that could have been done differently on Daly with what we had, but if Thatch were healthy, Daly doesnt have a career game against us.

cgeldmacher likes this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When a player has a career game, it doesn’t matter who is guarding him.

You tip your hat, say a prayer of thanks you survived, and move on.

We were doubling him in a 2-3 zone, and he made every shot he took. This was identical to last year’s Isabell- Williams duel. Once in a blue moon, someone goes off and the game turns into a feed the beast affair.

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

We were doubling him in a 2-3 zone, and he made every shot he took. This was identical to last year’s Isabell- Williams duel. Once in a blue moon, someone goes off and the game turns into a feed the beast affair.

I rewatched the tape last night, still had it recorded, and our single defender who maybe did the best job on Daly was French.  Daly wasn't quick enough to blow past Has, wasn't too thrilled about having to get his shot over Has at the rim, and had to step back to launch one over him from distance.  French didn't shut Daly down, but at least he put up a decent defense.

9 hours ago, MichaelC said:

Thanks, do you know if these shows are archived somewhere?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Frankly I don't know.  I have never looked for one nor seen one.  You might ask Brian Kunderman.

-I wish our games on radio, including pre and post game, were available in an archive, I would listen

billikenbill likes this

6 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Daly doesn't have a career game if Thatch is healthy. Daly doesn't isolate against Weaver or Collins and back them down, with no help defense, for easy points, if Thatch is on him. We did double him occasionally, and if we did so early enough he got rid of the ball. I'm not saying he doesn't make a basket if Thatch is healthy, I say he doesn't have a career game, maybe 20 points instead of 35. I think Thatch helps is win that game by 15-20 points.

Thatch and Bess didn’t stop Williams last year. Neither would have fazed Daly. He was on almost all game. Part of accepting reality is recognizing that sometimes athletes go off and are in another dimension of time and space, separate from ours.

Didnt French go 8-8, or 11-12 on free throws in a single game his freshman year?

How about Favre on MNF the day his father died? MJ the game he made 4 3s in a row? Nova vs Gtown? You don’t negate a world class performance by denigrating it by saying xxx would have prevented it; you acknowledge and celebrate it.

In our case, you can even salt the wound by pointing out Perkins was just as good, because he led us to a victory.🤓

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Daly doesn't have a career game if Thatch is healthy. Daly doesn't isolate against Weaver or Collins and back them down, with no help defense, for easy points, if Thatch is on him. We did double him occasionally, and if we did so early enough he got rid of the ball. I'm not saying he doesn't make a basket if Thatch is healthy, I say he doesn't have a career game, maybe 20 points instead of 35. I think Thatch helps is win that game by 15-20 points.

Agreed, same thing with Crutcher in the UD game. A guy like that is going to get his share of points, but Thatch would be a pest and make it much more difficult. We've had some issues with guards going off against us, which is why the absence of Thatch really hurts. The Auburn game is another example. IF Fred slows down McCormick just a little bit, that outcome might have been different, as they really didn't have anybody else who hurt us.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

41 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 10 Coach's Show with Rammer.

Coach Ford is out, not on the air tonight. 

Saturday's game will honor the Miracle in Memphis, four wins in four days. Reminded all that Marque Perry was out with a broken ankle, and the team was struggling going into Memphis.

Justin Love came on the show, via telephone.  Rammer "Can you imagine it has been twenty years."  Justin "You sound the same Rammer."   Love thought he was going to be playing with Hughes at SLU.  CUSA was loaded in those days.  Talked about the Mizzou game, which SLU won.  With Perry out, the team still had Redden and Fergerson, who were experienced vets.  First tourney game was S. Miss, SLU having lost big to them in-season. 

Love said, "Turning point for the season was the Cincy game, Senior Night, at Cincy.  Love " We got blown out 84-41, and had a team meeting." They came together after that game.  Love commented on Jeffers and Redden leading the defensive charge.  Game 2 in the tourney was Cincy.  Payback.  Rammer stated that SLU was ahead when Martin broke his league.  "We were playing focused defense that game."  At the end of the first half, Redden to an elbow to the head.  Cincy player "popped off to Redden" and Redden responded, "I'll see you in the second half."  The team backed this up in the second half.  At the buzzer, Love said we celebrated the win, we weren't on anyone's radar.  Back into the locker room, they refocused on the next day's game.  

Played Tulane the next night.  "We didn't mess around.  Up maybe 20 at half time."  All business.  DePaul for the championship game.  Love said 'we were on fumes'.  DePaul was good that year.  Redden continued his pesky defense.  "There was no second place.  If we lose that game, there is no NCAA."  Love was MVP of the CUSA tourney. Love said it should have been a team award. 

Love is coaching HS hoops (at Mascoutah).  "Can still dunk on a good day."  He is coming to Chaifetz Saturday.

Coach Giacoletti and Coach Tate:  Gypsy live of a coach.  Tate has been unique in being stationed in Missouri. Ray G. grew up in Peoria IL, home of Richard Prior and Gary Richrath of REO Speedwagon.   Went to Minot State to play hoops.  Lots of stops on the coaching trail.  Head Coach at N. Dakota State in Fargo. (He spent 8 years in ND.)  Got the next job at Eastern Washington, then the job at Utah.  Andrew Bogat was there for one year.  Resigned after this third year, went to Gonzaga as an assistant to his friend Mark Few. Next to Drake.  After Drake, he spent 2 years out of coaching living in STL, broadcasting.  He wasn't going to move, as he and his wife are taking care of her mother.  So when Ford called, it fit perfectly.  He doesn't recruit.  He can't be on the floor at practice, but can be there an take notes.   But when Tate 'went down' Ray picked up some of his tasks.  [Tate is recovering well.]  Ray called Corey 'the Mayor of St. Louis'.

Tate:  Duquesne beat us at every aspect of both games.  Dayton:  Ray G.  players accepted the challenge.  We showed a lot of what we are made of.  Hasahn and Goodie did a great job of leading the team into the game. (Yes Ray G called him Goodie.)  Rammer said the team silenced the crowd when coming back.  Tate; coach brought out a big loud speaker to practice at Dayton, to get ready for the noise. 

LaSalle:  Will Bailey has the scout.  Rammer, "I still have the feel that this team hasn't hit on all cylinders yet."  Ray G.  Coach Ford has done an amazing job reinventing this team twice, when Fred went down and again when Gibson went down.  Coach Tate "I'm the calm storm on the bench."  Ray G. "Don't buy that."   

Tay Weaver:  Got his extra year tearing his ACL.  (He actually tore both ACL's while at E. Kentucky)  He wanted to go out 'with a bang' so he came to SLU.  No issues at all now with his ACL's .  Came down to either Arizona or STL.  When he came to visit, he felt at home with Coach Ford.  All new teammates, but he feels like he has been with them four years.  Coach has never told Tay not to shoot.  Ford was mad at the Dayton game when Tay didn't shot.  He really wasn't a shooter until his senior year in HS.  He had been a slasher, and developed the jumper the summer before his last year.  He has nine siblings.  Two brothers play HS hoops, two sisters are cheerleaders.  He rooms with Perkins, but says he is the better shooter.  Team is really tight.   This team is different than other teams he has been on as they can all talk to each other, even the captains.  Says it is okay to say ‘Trey Weaver’ when he hits from the arc.

Good post, cool info about Tay. Seems like a really cohesive team.

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Tx for the post. Good stuff, but why doesn't Ray G recruit or can't be on the floor at practice ? Are we over some NCAA rule about number of coaches on staff? Never heard that one before. 

Only three recruiting assistants are allowed.  Ford's are Tate, Bailey, and Stuen.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I learned against Duquesne that the assistant on Fords left is the coach that scouts the game. Bailey and Ford scouted Duquesne games respectively. Giacolletti scouted Dayton both times.

Don't doubt this but if you watch time-outs Ray is almost always they guy who talks to Ford. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't doubt this but if you watch time-outs Ray is almost always they guy who talks to Ford. 

He has the most head coaching experience, so that makes some sense. I've always thought of him as a less-sinister Crews.

Just as an aside to this topic because I don't think it warrants it's own thread, but I found the tweet from Miles Reynolds interesting. Something like, Coach Ford's done a great job with this year's Billikens. I wish he was coach when I was there. I haven't followed Miles career, but didn't he end up as starting PG at Oklahoma? Makes me wonder why he didn't stick it out here if he felt this way about Travis. I guess Crews just soured him so much on SLU that he felt it was best to start over someplace new. Also, didn't he at first transfer to Pacific, and then to Oklahoma? I always thought he was one of Crews better gets. He did have some nice games for us as I recall from those dark dark days of Crews and lose. 

3 minutes ago, NH said:

He has the most head coaching experience, so that makes some sense. I've always thought of him as a less-sinister Crews.

He coached under the great one, so he can't be all bad. Although, he didn't do much with Utah after Rick left. Maybe there is something to B'roy's contention that Rick wasn't interested in developing a coaching tree. That he just wanted to be the last great coach when he left a program. He sure as hell let us down with calling for Crews to take his place during his illness. The worst decision he made at SLU. 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just as an aside to this topic because I don't think it warrants it's own thread, but I found the tweet from Miles Reynolds interesting. Something like, Coach Ford's done a great job with this year's Billikens. I wish he was coach when I was there. I haven't followed Miles career, but didn't he end up as starting PG at Oklahoma? Makes me wonder why he didn't stick it out here if he felt this way about Travis. I guess Crews just soured him so much on SLU that he felt it was best to start over someplace new. Also, didn't he at first transfer to Pacific, and then to Oklahoma? I always thought he was one of Crews better gets. He did have some nice games for us as I recall from those dark dark days of Crews and lose. 

He went from here to Pacific and was a grad transfer to OK

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He coached under the great one, so he can't be all bad. Although, he didn't do much with Utah after Rick left. Maybe there is something to B'roy's contention that Rick wasn't interested in developing a coaching tree. That he just wanted to be the last great coach when he left a program. He sure as hell let us down with calling for Crews to take his place during his illness. The worst decision he made at SLU. 

I am still waiting for those who think that RM picked Crews to take over to show the proof.  This narrative has taken on a life of its own simply by it being constantly spouted as truth.  I am open to accepting this position but not once have I heard anyone provide evidence to this.  Every time it is asked for nobody every responds.  I would have thought it would have been Whitesall for when he got sick and then you could have opened it up the next year.  Still doesn't make sense to me.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I am still waiting for those who think that RM picked Crews to take over to show the proof.  This narrative has taken on a life of its own simply by it being constantly spouted as truth.  I am open to accepting this position but not once have I heard anyone provide evidence to this.  Every time it is asked for nobody every responds.  I would have thought it would have been Whitesall for when he got sick and then you could have opened it up the next year.  Still doesn't make sense to me.

it was tgold to me in confidence from someone that would likely know.   i dont think it was ever in print.

cheeseman likes this

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It’s a fair point, but don’t you think Majerus would have had say for who took over as interim while he was sick? He definitely did when Porter was the interim coach for a couple of games. I have to imagine if he had wanted Whitesell to be the interim that’s what would have happened.