Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Slowry said:

Now just think how good it could be if I could actually buy one for my kids.   Talk about untapped money.   So many people would buy them for their kids and themselves. Think of thousands of kids wearing them to school in the STL area.  Their friends who aren’t even fans would want one(because that’s what kids do).  Give a free ticket(or two) to a directional school game with the purchase of a jersey.  Then you’re collecting for parking and that way over priced popcorn and soda.  Now that $90-$130 jersey just brought you 8000 plus people to a Wednesday night game in November.  Now that jersey cost me an extra $40-50 in parking and concessions plus another ticket for the wife.  The game atmosphere is always great so said child has a great time.  Guess what her next question is when we leave.  Hey dad when can we come back?   But none of this will ever happen because someone somewhere can’t get it together enough to sell jerseys like a big time program does.  Sorry for the rant my 9yr old has wanted a French jersey for several yrs. And for some reason I can’t buy one.

-the ADept reads this and I wonder the reaction, if any

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Chapley asked AD May about this.  Go back one page in this thread.  You might even contact Chapley or May if you are truly interested and get a further explanation.

-I saw it, it's complicated, I suspect it is more ham-handed

ABonner was on the Press Box with Frank.  I didn't get to listen to all of it, but some interesting comments in the segment I caught.

"Would you ever like to coach?"  AB "I would like to but with my ministry it would be very difficult."  I am not saying it won't happen, I won't close the door on it."

On French "He needs to develop a 17 foot shot if he wants to advance to the next level.  For whatever reason he isn't taking that next step.  Maybe it won't fit well in Ford's scheme right now, but if he is going to be a pro, he needs to put it into his arsenal."

Repeating Bonner's Goodwin comments from the Goodwin-Pro thread:

"He is a pro in the making.  He still has steps to take, but he is right on schedule." 

Frank "Will he have an opportunity to be in the NBA?"

Bonner "His name is on every NBA Draft Board."

23 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

ABonner was on the Press Box with Frank.  I didn't get to listen to all of it, but some interesting comments in the segment I caught.

"Would you ever like to coach?"  AB "I would like to but with my ministry it would be very difficult."  I am not saying it won't happen, I won't close the door on it."

On French "He needs to develop a 17 foot shot if he wants to advance to the next level.  For whatever reason he isn't taking that next step.  Maybe it won't fit well in Ford's scheme right now, but if he is going to be a pro, he needs to put it into his arsenal."

Repeating Bonner's Goodwin comments from the Goodwin-Pro thread:

"He is a pro in the making.  He still has steps to take, but he is right on schedule." 

Frank "Will he have an opportunity to be in the NBA?"

Bonner "His name is on every NBA Draft Board."

The last statement is crazy talk. Didn't you read fanman's comments in the other thread. WTF does AB know as compared with fanman. 

rgbilliken and billiken_roy like this

Coach on 550 last night with BenFred and Wiese.  He starts at the 15 minute point of this segment.

Mentality wasn't right against Davidson.  Knew Davidson could score, but we didn't respond.  Packing it in, as Davidson, did was no surprise.  He mentioned French and Goodwin as not having the mentality they normally do, each scoring only six.  Said they don't need to be searching shots, but they need to score.

On Perkins, he can score in more ways than any other player on our team.

The kids got over the Dayton loss sooner than the coaches did.

Coach said SLU and Duquesne are probably the surprise teams in the A10 so far.

We have played some of our best basketball on the road.....Richmond, Tulane, Boston College, KSU.  We need to be consistent to make this continue.

BenFred, talked about the Dayton crowd, the energy from the Student Section, one of the best in the country.  Expects the same atmosphere for VCU.  This isn't the case across America.  Even good teams are having trouble getting fans and students to their games.  Ford complimented the SLUnatics.

Back on Dayton, Collins hitting both FT at the end, Ford said he is surprised at how tough he is. He didn't expect this from a HS player.  He is 'an old freshman' now. His best games have been in the tough games. He needs to be more consistent.  BenFred said Yuri commented to him, "I can't feel either of my thumbs."  He won't be 100% until after the season is over.  Coach doesn't mind that he takes an occasional three.  But the expectation is for Yuri to run the team, make plays for himself and other people,  and be a great defender on the ball.  Coach mentions to him when he passes up a floater that he should be taking.

On Jimmy Bell, he can eventually be an All Conference player.  He has been up and down this season, typical of a player who hasn't had much experience.  Bell just hasn't played much in the past few years.  He needs time.....different than Hargrove and Collins who played a lot in HS.

Thatch---will see about a redshirt sometime later.  Nothing new.

"The Bubble" is soft this year.  There still is time for SLU to make a case for an At Large.  We were in the conversation before and after the Dayton game.  Numbers wise, the Davidson L would be considered a bad loss, even though they are a solid team.  Dayton got a 'bump' of six spots after they beat us.

Good to hear him thinking ahead to we have a shot at an at large. Usual coach speak is we're just worried about Fordham. My guess is the best shot is lose no more than 2 games making us 13-5, and then getting to the championship game at the A10. 

i just want the billikens to beat someone by a hundred points.   this playing up and down to the competition p!sses me off.   until they act like they should and do win, this is going to end up a heartbreaker team imo.   

rgbilliken, dennis_w and Bills71 like this

Caught a tape of Rammer on the Press Box Friday:

"We still have a dozen games left...."

Davidson totally sold out on in packing it in.  100%.  Rammer wasn't as upset at the fouls that were called as the ones that were not. 

Discussed Weaver's coming off at Dayton, with French's arm around his shoulder.  Yes, Weaver was upset. Likely Ford wasn't pleased with this defense.  But we need Weaver to be consistent.  He doesn't need to hit 5 three's  a game, but come off the bench, play solid D and hit 2 or 3 three's.

The team understands that the ball needs to run through Perkins.  Rammer wants to ask Ford if Perkins played too many minutes against Davidson, 36, and maybe should not have started the second half.  Rammer says he isn't there yet, to play full time.  Perkins knows how to score.  Frank wants him to isolate more.  But as Rammer said there was no room in the paint for Perkins to drive in against Davidson.

Frank and Rammer think the A10 is a three bid league.  Dayton is granted as #1.  Next two, three and four slots are wide open.  Rammer lists VCU, Richmond, SLU, Rhode Island, Duquesne  and maybe Davidson as candidates.  (Remember this was Friday's broadcast.)

Rammer went out with his wife and some friends after the Dayton game, and "I was an ass".  Frank saw Chris May after the Dayton game, and he was devastated.  We would have been in the 30's NET had we beat Dayton.

Frank talked again about the recruits at the Dayton game.  Rammer;  most of the big recruits they are going after were there.

Rammer would have liked to see Bell get more clock at Davidson.  Let him get some fouls,  beat up a few guys.  "He has had only a couple of stinkers all season."  Rammer thinks they will bring in a JUCO or GT big.  

We cannot stumble on these next four games.  Fordham, St. Joe and LaSalle, and exact revenge on Duquesne here.

Frank; Nesbit and Kern are being worked on hard by Tate and Ford.  Rammer says Ford relentlessly embraces recruiting.

Rammer lists Goodwin 'his heart - refuse to lose' is along side of Bonner, Jett, Hughes, and Lisch, and he says Goodwin is top of the list.  His demeanor and commitment to win is off the chart.

Rammer on Bonner, "You didn't know what you were getting when he came in.  He was an assassin, he wasn't going to be stop.'

Fred was on the Davidson trip.  Rammer, "I don't think he is going to play this year, but I hope he does.  If he plays, it means he has figured out how to control his ailments."

On Jimerson, Rammer has been told that "You don't apply for a medical waiver until your eligibility is up.  So we won't know for a few years."

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

On Jimerson, Rammer has been told that "You don't apply for a medical waiver until your eligibility is up.  So we won't know for a few years."

What in the world is the reasoning for this?

Just leave a kid hanging and his future uncertain when the problem could be resolved years sooner?

It seems I learn something new that the NCAA does wrong every other week.

36 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Just leave a kid hanging and his future uncertain when the problem could be resolved years sooner?

I could very well be wrong.  Of course I don't know the context of Rammer's discussions on Medical Waivers.  But I continue to believe they can file after this season, but the true waiver season isn't until his eligibility is used up.  I've looked at the NCAA rule book, and I cannot find an answer one way or the other.

If anyone has a definitive answer, please provide. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I could very well be wrong.  Of course I don't know the context of Rammer's discussions on Medical Waivers.  But I continue to believe they can file after this season, but the true waiver season isn't until his eligibility is used up.  I've looked at the NCAA rule book, and I cannot find an answer one way or the other.

If anyone has a definitive answer, please provide. 

Your injured season is the redshirt season.  That's the whole point of a medical redshirt.  You don't have to wait 3 years on a ruling.  Here's one example but look up any player who was awarded a medical redshirt and you'll see the same process:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qctimes.com/sports/basketball/college/big-10/iowa/connor-mccaffery-granted-medical-redshirt/article_2d99c130-1243-5254-8340-2771b51cd8ee.amp.html

HoosierPal likes this

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Your question presupposes that the NCAAs primary concern is for the well being of student-athletes and that is absolutely not the case. The NCAA decides issues of eligibility however and whenever they want with little to no thought for how individual players are impacted. Remember this is an institution that up until about a year ago allowed coaches to block and/or dictate where a player transferring out of their program could or could not go.  

January 27 Coach's Show with Rammer

Coach never met Kobe Bryant yet he said the news was very hard on him.  Talked about the extra workouts, the 4:30 am shooting drills, the 3x a day workouts by Kobe.  'You don' become great by doing the stuff that everyone else is doing.  You need to do extra, go beyond what your coaches ask you.'  Coach points to Goodwin as SLU's example of someone doing the 'extra'. 

Rammer stated Ford does the 'extra' in recruiting.  Ford says he recruits smarter now, not putting in as much time as he used to, but putting in quality time instead of quantity.

Strickland is having a 'wonderful' season per Rammer and Ford.  The Junior HS class in St. Louis is 'off the charts' and Ford and his staff are putting in time with them, knowing three top Billikens will need to be replaced.

Discussed Davidson and Fordham:  Davidson has an 85% win percentage at home.  "Film review after the game, BAD, BAD, BAD.  But with 10 minutes to go we were tied.  We stood around too much in Davidson, no screening, no cutting.

We still play every team above us in the standings except Richmond.  We have only played 3 or 4 games 'at our best' and we need to find it now. We are in the middle of the pack in most stats (except FT - last, and rebounds - first).  We have to find that next level." 

Fordham:  they do everything in their power to keep the games in the 50's or 60's (because they can't score).  Thought the team focus was better here than at Davidson. Goodwin was locked in, back at All Conference level.  He was doing things that don't show up on the stat sheet.  Talked about Yuri's last foul, 'he got run over'.  Staff has to tell Ford to give Yuri a break.  "Love Josh Hightower.  His work ethic is amazing in practice.  I have no hesitation in putting him in a game.  But I wasn't happy with him last night, with a TO and a bad shot.  And I told him about it.  He will be playing a big role in Feb, giving Yuri breaks. He is a great defender with his long arms."

Perkins and Weaver, aren't starting, but that could change.  Weaver got to where he was a liability on D.  The staff pointed this out, Weaver flipped it, and now is getting back to being a complete player.  Fordham's zone took away Perkins best shooting spots.  They have a PG fill in the middle.  You can't play into the middle against their zone.  You have to go to the 'flood zones' (which I think are the corners or edges).

Philly trip:  Team leaves tomorrow.  They are staying over between games. They will have study hall on the off days.  LaSalle is having a 'white out' on Wednesday.  Talked about last year's blow out at St. Joe.  LaSalle has played most of the upper A10 teams (Dayton, VCU, Richmond, and Rhode Island), hence their poor record.  LaSalle leads the league in steals in conference games.

Talked to Michael Wilson Director of Operations, who is in charge of everything on trips. Big discussion on a cookie tray missing on a trip.....Strength and Conditioning coach nixed them.  Had ice cream and cookies before the Richmond game..big win.  How many Philly Cheese Steaks?  Likely will get them after one of the games, if the S and C Coach let's him.

Nothing on Jacobs or Thatch.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/scott-highmark/

Scoops interview with Scott Highmark.  13 minutes worth your time.  Great comments about staying home and playing (and then living) in St.Louis.

The most important aspect of your shot? Mechanics. I love that he said that.

Coach with Danny Mac on Scoops.  LaSalle game, Hightower's story, Goodwin's 1,000 and his earning the right to struggle earlier in the game, Kobe Bryant and Ford's parallel to the OKState plane crash and St Joe game.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billikens-basketball-update-with-travis-ford-january-30-2020/

Feb 3 Coach's Show with Rammer:

AD Chris May started the show.  "We don't beat LaSalle without Hightower."  May had A10 meetings in Philly.  Significant discussion in the A10 for compensating on Image and Likeness.  Says it will come this year. Over last 15 years, A10 has averaged 3 teams in NCAA.  Only two years in past 25 has the A10 had only one bid.  May said that the NET is one tool, not the only tool to consider for bids.  It is a significant driver, but not the only driver.

May was complimentary of the student section, saying they are making a difference in the game this year.  Mentioned 'the wedge', on the left side of the student section.  Tickets still available for Duquesne, early 6 pm start.  Rammer mentioned that at Dayton, 20% of the seats are terrible. No bad seats at Chaifetz.

Baseball season starts next week.  A10 softball tourney is here this season.  Soccer teams are practicing.  They have 9,000 coming for Education Day on Feb 19, hosted by the women's basketball team.  They had to cut off the interest due to a 'bus problem'.  Tennis facility is not on the short term list.  We are outgrowing Chaifetz Services and that needs to be addressed for the 350 athletes that use the facility.  Baseball has some facility issues. In past 12 months, two new grass soccer fields plus one new synthetic soccer field have been installed.

Ford on at the half hour mark. He told the team at St. Joe's half time "We don't need to be pretty." 

Really loud at LaSalle, not because of the fans but because of the acoustics of the gym.  Again, talked about Hightower.  Great play at the end of the first half, Hightower assist to Jacobs for 3.  Then incredible minutes in OT.  Hargrove had two crucial put backs.  We didn't play great, but we figured how to win.

The St Joe Showdown between Daly and Perkins was incredible.  Game tape didn't show anything that we could have done differently on Daly.  Nothing St Joe could have done on Perkins either.  Down the stretch Goodwin, had some huge plays.  He had not played well earlier.  We were trying to put Javonte in different spots on the court.  Teammates did a good job getting him the ball.     

Five teams tied for third today.  Duquesne and SLU have played the exact same teams through 9, except we have played RHI and they played RI.  (Different H and A.)  So 6-3 records are quite comparable.  We can't have them blocking 9 shots again.  Two true low post scorers and three guards who can shoot.  Maybe Bell will give more in Duquesne.  He didn't play well in the first Duquesne  game.  St Joe was a hard game for Bell as we were switching five on five.  We won't be switching that much off their two bigs Wednesday. 

"Our best basketball needs to be ahead of us.  We haven't had a complete game for a while."

Perkins A10 Co-Player of the week, along with Daly.  Rammer had set with Perkins on a flight in Nov.  He was 'down' for not playing much or well.  That has changed.  Ford says he has to kick him in the butt every now and then, but he can handle it.