Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

It should be 13 man tie. Anyone worth a schollie should be able to knock down an uncontested layup.

Confident all of our players can make an uncontested layup...was highlighting Jacobs ability to finish at the rim when contested, something a number of our players seem to struggle with.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

my bad thought he said uncontested. Seems like most of his layups have been relatively uncontested. Unlike many JG tries where there are 2 guys between him and the basket.

He (Jacobs) had a couple of very tough finishes through contact in the Umass game.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

He gets to the rim so easily at times. It’s really unlike anything I’ve seen from a Billiken guard, with the exception of maybe Jett. If he could add on a little more muscle, he’d be unstoppable. 

I'm a Jacobs fan... when he shows up to play. He's got to stop disappearing or blending into the woodwork. Kid's got game, but appears at times to be too timid to show it. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm a Jacobs fan... when he shows up to play. He's got to stop disappearing or blending into the woodwork. Kid's got game, but appears at times to be too timid to show it. 

I hope his production becomes more consistent. We sure need it. He does have the slowest release on a 3, I think I've ever seen. From the time he catches the pass until his release you have time to take a bathroom break or grab a beer

willie likes this

5 hours ago, NH said:

And regardless of how someone feels about Jacobs, there’s no denying he improved tremendously this year. I could see him taking another step next season. He has the most tools of any guard on our team. 

This point really sticks with me... Jacobs hit 5 shots (3 FT, 1 3pt FG, 1 2pt FG) all last year (none in conference play). Now he's contributing...albeit somewhat inconsistently. That's a major improvement and hats off to Jacobs and coaching staff for their joint success so far. 

5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

This point really sticks with me... Jacobs hit 5 shots (3 FT, 1 3pt FG, 1 2pt FG) all last year (none in conference play). Now he's contributing...albeit somewhat inconsistently. That's a major improvement and hats off to Jacobs and coaching staff for their joint success so far. 

It took Chris Sloan two years to improve as much as Jacobs has in one, starting from a similar baseline.

14 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-the granters of the redshirt are from the NCAA so since they follow no established rules, guidelines or principles in making decisions it seems to depend on the mood of the person(s) in Indy when the time to decide arrives,  we could send them some cookies or candy or a fruit basket if we knew when the time was

Given the facts that this young man has been stricken with some terrible isolated myopathy that only allowed him to play the first months of the season,I’m sure the ncaa, the upstanding institution that it is, will do the right thing....   we’re looking at a tournament ban, folks.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, HoosierPal said:

Talked about the computer chips in shoes, charting individual shots.  [This has been covered in other interviews.]  If fans have the app, they can track it during games, if the teams use the chip shoes during games.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billikens-basketball-update-with-travis-ford-january-7-2020/

Seems odd this would be public info, as it simplifies scouting for other teams some. But this info may be already easy to get. 

Yeah. Somewhat short. Started with how good Goodwin was, particularly his leaderahip. Very complimentary on Collins D on Gilyard. He was on Gilyard “98% of the time” and held him to 1 of 6. ( He was 1-7.).

Said this was French’s best game in the past 6 or 7.   

Then the deserved plaudits for Dayton. 

Anybody catch the coaches show?  I missed the beginning.  I did hear Jack Raboin talk about the process of becoming a walk on which I thought was interesting.  Said he went Juco and had the intention of becoming a walk on a D1 school since sophomore year of high school.  Was going to fly down to the final four to talk to some coaches after his juco year and Corey Tate missed his flight so ended up on his.  He walked up to him to and started talking about his goals and basically before he landed he knew he was going to SLU as a walk on.  Wants to get into coaching after playing so wanted to learn from D1 coaches.  

13 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Anybody catch the coaches show?  I missed the beginning.  I did hear Jack Raboin talk about the process of becoming a walk on which I thought was interesting.  Said he went Juco and had the intention of becoming a walk on a D1 school since sophomore year of high school.  Was going to fly down to the final four to talk to some coaches after his juco year and Corey Tate missed his flight so ended up on his.  He walked up to him to and started talking about his goals and basically before he landed he knew he was going to SLU as a walk on.  Wants to get into coaching after playing so wanted to learn from D1 coaches.  

That is all I heard also. Isn’t that a great story. Rammer said “So if Coach Tate had not. Issues his flight, you wouldn’t be sitting here in the Fieldhouse tonight.”

Jack also said that Diarra would jump to scout team to be Toppin. Jack was kidding Courtney on his 1-1 from the three this year saying that his toe may have been in the line. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

this would be great radio without the context that Bernie couldn’t actually give a about Billiken basketball 

He cared a lot about it when RM was here. RM did a smart thing charming Bernie as soon as he got to town - probably with food.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

this would be great radio without the context that Bernie couldn’t actually give a about Billiken basketball 

Then Bernie is faking it good because he loves him some Billiken basketball right now.