Coach Ford on the Radio, 2020

Starting a new thread for this year.  As pointed out on the older thread, Coach was on with Frank this AM.

Coach complimented the atmosphere.  He pretty much repeated what he said yesterday. 

Frank asked about Jacobs. (He said French and Gordan talked about him before they went on the air last night.)  Ford said he was 'brutally honest' with Jacobs, pretty much laying it on the line.  My guess is he gave him an ultimatum on upping his game.  Not necessarily scoring, but rebounding, defending. etc.  Jacobs looked Coach in the eye and said 'Yes, you are right Coach'.  No excuses given.

On Jimerson, yes he will get a red shirt.  He is lifting in the weight room.  Should be off crutches in the next week or two.  Thatch is practicing 20 to 30 minutes per day.  He hasn't been cleared to play in a game.  Coach doesn't know when he will be cleared.  Coach said Jimerson watching the games and practices will help him.  Watching and studying the game will benefit him.

Frank on Collins, he was scoring 30 per game for St. Marys at the end of last year.  Ford adjusted their press offense to get the ball to Collins which helped them out.  Next progression is for him to hit his jump shots.  His hands have something to do with it.  Ford is looking for Collins to make himself a shooter this summer.  Ford said Collins is similar to his PG at UMass Chris Lowe, now on the staff, who struggled to score as a freshman.  LaSalle played a triangle and two on UMass and didn't even guard Loee.  That motivated Lowe to develop as a shooter.  Says Collins will do the same.  Said Collins is a winning player.

Frank "What do you have to do in conference to be NCAA worthy?"  Coach "11 gets us 22 wins.  12 A10 wins gets us 23, that gives us a shot.  We just have to win games.  We are in position to talk about these things."

In the A10, Dayton is on top, with about 8 or 9 teams then all bunched, able to finish in the top 4. 

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/ 

Segment 2

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

he was scoring 30 per game for St. Marys at the end of last year.  Ford adjusted their press offense to get the ball to Collins which helped them out. 

this was a great move by Ford. They switched to Perkins getting the inbounds and giving to Yuri in the middle of the zone at half court so he could distribute from there. That seemed to help. Gotta give credit to Ford since we dished on him for some other decisions. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Starting a new thread for this year.  As pointed out on the older thread, Coach was on with Frank this AM.

Coach complimented the atmosphere.  He pretty much repeated what he said yesterday. 

Frank asked about Jacobs. (He said French and Gordan talked about him before they went on the air last night.)  Ford said he was 'brutally honest' with Jacobs, pretty much laying it on the line.  My guess is he gave him an ultimatum on upping his game.  Not necessarily scoring, but rebounding, defending. etc.  Jacobs looked Coach in the eye and said 'Yes, you are right Coach'.  No excuses given.

On Jimerson, yes he will get a red shirt.  He is lifting in the weight room.  Should be off crutches in the next week or two.  Thatch is practicing 20 to 30 minutes per day.  He hasn't been cleared to play in a game.  Coach doesn't know when he will be cleared.  Coach said Jimerson watching the games and practices will help him.  Watching and studying the game will benefit him.

Frank on Collins, he was scoring 30 per game for St. Marys at the end of last year.  Ford adjusted their press offense to get the ball to Collins which helped them out.  Next progression is for him to hit his jump shots.  His hands have something to do with it.  Ford is looking for Collins to make himself a shooter this summer.  Ford said Collins is similar to his PG at UMass Chris Lowe, now on the staff, who struggled to score as a freshman.  LaSalle played a triangle and two on UMass and didn't even guard Loee.  That motivated Lowe to develop as a shooter.  Says Collins will do the same.  Said Collins is a winning player.

Frank "What do you have to do in conference to be NCAA worthy?"  Coach "11 gets us 22 wins.  12 A10 wins gets us 23, that gives us a shot.  We just have to win games.  We are in position to talk about these things."

In the A10, Dayton is on top, with about 8 or 9 teams then all bunched, able to finish in the top 4. 

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/ 

Segment 2

A couple of things to add. French and Goodwin said Jacobs is very talented.

Ford said you can no longer be brutally honest with players and said when you criticize them they make excuses. He said that a couple of times. He was honest with Jacobs and he was very impressed that he offered no excuses.

HoosierPal likes this

Thanks for the reports. Good stuff. I'm not too sure we'll see Fred this year. He's going to have a lot of rust after this long period of recuperation. I know it's been asked before, but can't remember it being answered, re can he get a redshirt? Good to hear Jimerson's on the trail back. Here's hoping he doesn't overdo it. He's got 10 months to get himself ready for next year. We don't want him ending up in Wellmer's shoes, no pun intended. 

As for Jacobs, he's had the come to Jesus meeting now twice with Ford. Hopefully, the message sticks. He looked really good against UMass, and we know he has his moments from beyond the arc. I think he's a real key going forward, possibly the key player going forward, since Fred's status is so uncertain. Ford's comment about TJ being a good 3 point shooter was encouraging. Hopefully, as he settles in to his role, he displays this skill more and more. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks for the reports. Good stuff. I'm not too sure we'll see Fred this year. He's going to have a lot of rust after this long period of recuperation. I know it's been asked before, but can't remember it being answered, re can he get a redshirt? Good to hear Jimerson's on the trail back. Here's hoping he doesn't overdo it. He's got 10 months to get himself ready for next year. We don't want him ending up in Wellmer's shoes, no pun intended. 

As for Jacobs, he's had the come to Jesus meeting now twice with Ford. Hopefully, the message sticks. He looked really good against UMass, and we know he has his moments from beyond the arc. I think he's a real key going forward, possibly the key player going forward, since Fred's status is so uncertain. Ford's comment about TJ being a good 3 point shooter was encouraging. Hopefully, as he settles in to his role, he displays this skill more and more. 

Carter Chapley doesn't seem to think so since "part of a the waiver is that a medical team deems the situation (injury,illness etc) a season ending one. If he can even reasonably play at some point this year he won’t be eligible."

Should he go the redshirt route, this will likely be the key question: "Did Thatch have a season ending situation?"  It's also why I suspect he isn't getting spot time in games right now. They want to preserve, as best they can, the argument that his illness effectively ended his season. 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Carter Chapley doesn't seem to think so since "part of a the waiver is that a medical team deems the situation (injury,illness etc) a season ending one. If he can even reasonably play at some point this year he won’t be eligible."

Should he go the redshirt route, this will likely be the key question: "Did Thatch have a season ending situation?"  It's also why I suspect he isn't getting spot time in games right now. They want to preserve, as best they can, the argument that his illness effectively ended his season. 

-the granters of the redshirt are from the NCAA so since they follow no established rules, guidelines or principles in making decisions it seems to depend on the mood of the person(s) in Indy when the time to decide arrives,  we could send them some cookies or candy or a fruit basket if we knew when the time was

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

as much as it is frustrating to watch jacobs lack of agression and need for the "come to jesus" meetings with ford, personally i'll take the player like jacobs that is a good teamate and unselfish to a fault of the likes of yarborough a few years back who had the talent and was going to go all out for himself damned what the coach or team wanted/needed. 

AGB91, Zink and SLU_Lax like this

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

So is this to say he needs to apply for the waiver while hes currently in this state, vs gamble to see if he gets healthy or not?

Just now, wgstl said:

So is this to say he needs to apply for the waiver while hes currently in this state, vs gamble to see if he gets healthy or not?

Don’t know that answer. I assume they could theoretically apply at any time (during the season or after). However, if he plays at all in a game after the 1/2 way point of the number of games on our schedule (i think that would be after game 16), then he loses med redshirt eligibility.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Don’t know that answer. I assume they could theoretically apply at any time (during the season or after). However, if he plays at all in a game after the 1/2 way point of the number of games on our schedule (i think that would be after game 16), then he loses med redshirt eligibility.

Makes sense as to why hes practicing as much as he has without being cleared to play. They dont want to throw him out there for him to get sidelined again right away.  That would be a disaster for both redshirting and his own health. 

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

All indications are that they still don't have a 100% read on what exactly his current situation is. It is kind of hard to ask for a waiver if you can't tell the NCAA what the exactly the issue is and if it will keep him from participating anymore this season.

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

my understanding is the waiver is asked for after their senior season and at that time the ncaa makes a decision. in the jimerson case it appears that he meets the medical redshirt criteria but it will not be granted for another 3 years

theres examples of players who are redshirted early in their college career 

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

my understanding is the waiver is asked for after their senior season and at that time the ncaa makes a decision. in the jimerson case it appears that he meets the medical redshirt criteria but it will not be granted for another 3 years

Believe this only applies to football and not basketball.  A poster previously reported a recent med redshirt story that contradicted the above.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

as much as it is frustrating to watch jacobs lack of agression and need for the "come to jesus" meetings with ford, personally i'll take the player like jacobs that is a good teamate and unselfish to a fault of the likes of yarborough a few years back who had the talent and was going to go all out for himself damned what the coach or team wanted/needed. 

And regardless of how someone feels about Jacobs, there’s no denying he improved tremendously this year. I could see him taking another step next season. He has the most tools of any guard on our team. 

6 minutes ago, NH said:

And regardless of how someone feels about Jacobs, there’s no denying he improved tremendously this year. I could see him taking another step next season. He has the most tools of any guard on our team. 

He gets to the rim so easily at times. It’s really unlike anything I’ve seen from a Billiken guard, with the exception of maybe Jett. If he could add on a little more muscle, he’d be unstoppable. 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

I think the better word may be "used" after they play 4 seasons.  They are granted "as filed" but say Jimerson would not use his Waiver Season until he has used up his 4 year normal eligibility.  Yes, he may be listed as a Redshirt Freshman next year, but perhaps that is a misnomer.  But it is all semantics, as if you have the waiver season in the bank, you have 5 seasons no matter how you look at it.

For Thatch, here I may be wrong, but the "injury or illness" has to occur in the first half of the season.  The 30% rule would apply for Thatch.  So I don't believe, and again I could be wrong, he could play three or four more games in second half of the season and be at or under the 10 game mark, still be at 30% or lower, and be eligible for a medical waiver.  If anyone for sure knows different on the second half issue, please weigh in.   Illnesses are definitely included in the Waiver discussion.  

dennis_w likes this

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He gets to the rim so easily at times. It’s really unlike anything I’ve seen from a Billiken guard, with the exception of maybe Jett. If he could add on a little more muscle, he’d be unstoppable. 

Give me Jacobs finishing a contested layup at the rim over any other Billiken...he's smooth, uses his body and gets the ball in the basket.

gobillsgo likes this

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I think the better word may be "used" after they play 4 seasons.  They are granted "as filed" but say Jimerson would not use his Waiver Season until he has used up his 4 year normal eligibility.  Yes, he may be listed as a Redshirt Freshman next year, but perhaps that is a misnomer.  But it is all semantics, as if you have the waiver season in the bank, you have 5 seasons no matter how you look at it.

For Thatch, here I may be wrong, but the "injury or illness" has to occur in the first half of the season.  The 30% rule would apply for Thatch.  So I don't believe, and again I could be wrong, he could play three or four more games in second half of the season and be at or under the 10 game mark, still be at 30% or lower, and be eligible for a medical waiver.  If anyone for sure knows different on the second half issue, please weigh in.   Illnesses are definitely included in the Waiver discussion.  

The rule states he loses eligibility if he plays during the 2nd half of the season (after game 16 I believe). So that is one consideration.  The other is that if he played in say game 13, then I believe that would give him 13 games played under the rule and he would violate the 30% rule.  Not 100% sure on this latter statement, but if it's true, it certainly would be a reason to keep him out if they have any thoughts about a medical redshirt. 

HoosierPal likes this

Tuesdays with Travis, Scoops with Danny Mac.  Call it what you want.  A lot of repeated information from last night's Coach Show.

Fun comment, after the game Coach was asked if he wanted the game ball (for his 400th ) and he said 'For What'.  He had no idea he had 400 wins. Danny Mac asked if there was one win that stood out.  Ford reviewed key games at each of his coaching stops.  His SLU game he mentioned was the A10 Tourney game v St. Bonnie.

Interesting that he said he had focused on Goodwin and French when recruiting his first year.  Most coaches focus on 12 or 13.  He focused on those two.

With the packed upcoming schedule, it is hard to get better.  Most of the work is in the video room.  Yesterday they worked on FT and then spent the rest of practice in the video room.

Talked about the computer chips in shoes, charting individual shots.  [This has been covered in other interviews.]  If fans have the app, they can track it during games, if the teams use the chip shoes during games.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billikens-basketball-update-with-travis-ford-january-7-2020/

34 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Give me Jacobs finishing a contested layup at the rim over any other Billiken...he's smooth, uses his body and gets the ball in the basket.

It should be 13 man tie. Anyone worth a schollie should be able to knock down an uncontested layup.