GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You are correct...my data includes all players (bigs) so my numbers should be higher.

Here are some 3 pt grades...old and new...

.........2006-19...............2019-20  small but important sample size

A...........39.8%..................37.2%

C...........35.6%...................32.7%

F.............32.1%..................27.9%

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Looks like the longer distance is having a real impact. 2.6 % at the top and 4.2% at the bottom of the grades

Interesting...by that breakout Jimerson's 43% was looking great...everyone else

Jacobs - 35% - (B ish)

Weaver - 39% (A)

Goodwin - 29% (D ish)

Perkins 23% (F)

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Looks like the longer distance is having a real impact. 2.6 % at the top and 4.2% at the bottom of the grades

NCAA = mission accomplished...at least for now....players will adapt as they did last time....

13 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Interesting...by that breakout Jimerson's 43% was looking great...everyone else

Jacobs - 35% - (B ish)

Weaver - 39% (A)

Goodwin - 29% (D ish)

Perkins 23% (F)

Jacobs...B

Weaver...A+

Goodwin ...F+

Perkins...F-

As I pointed out above The Bills currently are  a C rated team

More concerning on the 3 pt front...we were shooting around 35% with JImerson ...now around 23 %  with out him...a drop off of nearly a third...huge 

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Jacobs...B

Weaver...A+

Goodwin ...F+

Perkins...F-

As I pointed out above The Bills currently are  a C rated team

More concerning on the 3 pt front...we were shooting around 35% with JImerson ...now around 23 %  with out him...a drop off of nearly a third...huge 

right around the 30% is an F? Not great, but not horrid. 

11 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yea and it was still out of the question to think Yuri is going to shoot 60% from 2 ...even if he all of a sudden cuts out most of his ill-advised shots...

The guy is 54% from the FT line

Just a feel based on style of play. Only time will tell - agree to disagree

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Can't disagree with this. Which is why my wish for Perkins is just to be a little more selective. 

Perkins' problem to me is that he's a bad decision-maker. He seems like a very good 1-on-1 player, and is probably the best player on the team off the dribble or from the triple-threat position. The problem is that he puts his head down and shoots almost every time he drives. It's a JUCO habit that doesn't work against A-10 level bigs. I would wager a guess, though, that the % of offensive rebounds off Perkins' misses is higher than most players, largely because his drives require help, which frees a rebounder. He needs to learn a jump stop, or a pass.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wish our guys would also adapt to not stepping out of bounds

a pet peeve of mine.   i just dont understand how it happens.  GD the court doesnt move or change.   how can you not know where you are standing or dribbling to?   and it isnt just the billikens.   it is all the time everywhere.   

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a pet peeve of mine.   i just dont understand how it happens.  GD the court doesnt move or change.   how can you not know where you are standing or dribbling to?   and it isnt just the billikens.   it is all the time everywhere.   

The court has changed a little. The new three point line has lessened the corner space. I believe a lot [not all] of the violations occur in the corner. 

Pistol likes this

Some Billiken specific three point shooting data: 

YTD:   32.6% 3FG

2018-19 season:  30.4%, so ah, an improvement

30 year Billiken average:  34.6%., so ah, no improvement

So yes it has made a difference, or no it hasn't made a difference.  Pick you data point needed for your position.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Some Billiken specific three point shooting data: 

YTD:   32.6% 3FG

2018-19 season:  30.4%, so ah, an improvement

30 year Billiken average:  34.6%., so ah, no improvement

So yes it has made a difference, or no it hasn't made a difference.  Pick you data point needed for your position.

30 year Billiken average is not a strong data point (3 point line moved back twice in last 15 years so of course prior years will generally be higher than current***). See Wiz's breakdown above...3pt shooting is down this year throughout NCAA..ours 3pt% is up...that's a substantive improvement. 

****generally...obviously there are outliers

3 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

30 year Billiken average is not a strong data point (3 point line moved back twice in last 15 years so of course prior years will generally be higher than current***). See Wiz's breakdown above...3pt shooting is down this year throughout NCAA..ours 3pt% is up...that's a substantive improvement. 

Our number will continue to decline this season as we go without Jimerson, and it wouldn't surprise me if we end up pretty close to last season.

1 hour ago, willie said:

The court has changed a little. The new three point line has lessened the corner space. I believe a lot [not all] of the violations occur in the corner. 

the location of the three point line should have no bearing on staying bounds.   the actual out of bounds dimensions have been the dame since you played willie.  and i believe they did a jump ball after every score back in your day.  

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

As I said, pick the data points you want to support your position.  I kind of think over 16,000 Billiken three point shots over 30 years is a significant sample size.  

The three point line was adopted by the NCAA in 1986, moved in 2007 and again this year.  The worst Billiken three point season was Spoon's 96-97 team, at 29.2%, which was on the shortest line. Second worst was Sodie's 04-05 team at 29.5%.  Again the short line.  Hmmmm.

21 hours ago, slufanskip said:

41% from inside the arc only is not good. Maybe he should quit taking mid range jumpers on the move while being guarded. 

Javon Bess shot 45% from inside the arc last season according to sports-reference.com.  So, 41% isn't that bad.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the location of the three point line should have no bearing on staying bounds.   the actual out of bounds dimensions have been the dame since you played willie.  and i believe they did a jump ball after every score back in your day.  

It does though. It pushes players further out and makes it easier to step out of bounds due to the players not being used to it/wanting to stay behind the arc. Specifically in the corners. Come on you have to understand that. It's not super complicated. 

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Javon Bess shot 45% from inside the arc last season according to sports-reference.com.  So, 41% isn't that bad.

It is bad. Javon was a good offensive player but not great. His value was defense more than offense imo

Just now, slufanskip said:

It is bad. Javon was a good offensive player but not great. His value was defense more than offense imo

I would agree that 41% from inside the arc is pretty bad. I have actually been pretty pleased with Perkins but his shot selection leaves a lot to be desired. 

slufanskip likes this