GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

So far he hasn't shown he's a more capable shooter, just a more willing shooter. Too willing imo. 

If Perkins can't turn it around, the player you want to see simply doesn't exist on this roster.  Coach Ford will give him every opportunity to succeed because any chance we have at an-large bid depends on it.

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would the NCAA change their scoring rules for the Dance?  That makes no sense.

That's not what he's saying.  When he says, "NCAA, at least," he's not talking about the Tournament; he's saying he's not sure if the statistical accounting is the same for high school or NBA.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Perkins can't turn it around, the player you want to see simply doesn't exist on this roster.  Coach Ford will give him every opportunity to succeed because any chance we have at an-large bid depends on it.

tru dat. weird 2 injuries we go from most talented roster ever to help us please get some points.

11 minutes ago, almaman said:

tru dat. weird 2 injuries we go from most talented roster ever to help us please get some points.

That is what happens when you lose two starters, and they are the best offensive player, the best on ball defender, and probably the two best outside shooters.

If this had happened last year, we would have been under .500. This year, we are fighting to remain in the top quadrant of the conference, winning ugly, and hoping we time our one game of good shooting out of every three to be against the good teams, and it works into a win.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

We have talked about how to  improve French's FT shooting until the cows have come home.  Nothing new can be offered that hasn't already been mentioned.  Apparently Ford is just too stupid to figure it out some on the board would lead you to believe.  I have heard Ford talk about this issue many times and basically he says he shoots fine in practice - in fact at the start of the second half he was standing at the FT line during warm ups and he hit 6 of 8.  This is simply a head issue and that makes it simply very hard to change - ask Sax!.  

Goodwin was taken out on that play mentioned above because Ford figured they would foul the man with the ball and Goodwin is just not a good FT shooter.  The problem was that who threw the ball in should have called time out - we had one left - if he could not be certain that a man would get free.  I only blame the guy throwing it in not Hargrove or Ford unless you want to say he had the wrong guy throw it in.

I’m merely saying Goodwin’s strong with the ball & should have been in there.

8 minutes ago, almaman said:

tru dat. weird 2 injuries we go from most talented roster ever to help us please get some points.

I wish it was, but this is not the most talented roster we've ever had. I don't think you were being 100% serious but just had to say.

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

That is what happens when you lose two starters, and they are the best offensive player, the best on ball defender, and probably the two best outside shooters.

You are saying Fred Thatch is probably a better outside shooter than Tay Weaver and Jacobs? 

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I'm clearly missing something here. I didn't mention "the Dance". I'm pretty sure the rules are the same. What exactly are you referring to?

ETA: I meant NCAA rules, as opposed to International or NBA etc. Is that what you are asking?

My bad I must have misinterpreted what you were saying.

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

I wish it was, but this is not the most talented roster we've ever had. I don't think you were being 100% serious but just had to say.

You are saying Fred Thatch is probably a better outside shooter than Tay Weaver and Jacobs? 

Maybe. 

15 hours ago, NH said:

Skip - I totally get where you're coming from and am not saying I fully disagree. But one thing that Perkins does deserve credit for is that he draws the most fouls of everyone on our team, and is a decent free throw shooter. So his actually offensive effectiveness is probably a little higher than his 2-point % would suggest.

We need him to be more efficient, but we also need a player who can do the things he is capable of (create his own shot and get to the free throw line). 

I agree with you. I get we don't have a lot of options so he needs to play. As Willie said earlier he's pretty good attacking the basket and that also gets him to the line and a decent rate. What I want is him to be a little more selective. At least once or twice a game he seems to just force up a shot that doesn't need to be taken and it's almost a guaranteed miss. Maybe Jacobs will take his talk with Coach to heart and increase his production. 

NH likes this

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Can't disagree with this. Which is why my wish for Perkins is just to be a little more selective. 

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think you'll find that most of the guards/wings making all-conference teams shoot less than 48-50% from 2 point range.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

A = 54.7%

C= 49.4 %

F= 44.6%

From the all A10 team last year (2pt %age): 

Stockard - 46% 

Gudmundsson - 54% 

Grady - 52%

Evans - 56%

Also, Javon Bess - 45% 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

From the all A10 team last year (2pt %age): 

Stockard - 46% 

Gudmundsson - 54% 

Grady - 52%

Evans - 56%

Also, Javon Bess - 45% 

2nd Team all A10 last year:

Charlie Brown - 47%

Justin Kier - 50%

Javon Bess - 45%

Jacob Gilyard - 60%

3rd Team all A10 last year:

Jalen Crutcher - 48%

De'Riante Jenkins - 49% 

Note: I intentionally omitted bigs from these lists. 

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

2nd Team all A10 last year:

Charlie Brown - 47%

Justin Kier - 50%

Javon Bess - 45%

Jacob Gilyard - 60%

3rd Team all A10 last year:

Jalen Crutcher - 48%

De'Riante Jenkins - 49% 

Note: I intentionally omitted bigs from these lists. 

Gilyard could very easily be the 2nd best player in the league

Shooting:

62% from 2

41% from 3

85% from FT line

5.7 Assist/1.6 TO per game

3.3 steals per game.

Those are insane #s

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

A = 54.7%

C= 49.4 %

F= 44.6%

The Bills currently at 49.2% = C

This takes into account bigs which will frequently be over 50 raising the team %. I was really considering guards/wings. 

With no real data just my gut and experience for guards /wings I'd say 

50+ = A

47-49 = B (49 B+ / 47 B-)

44-46 = C

41-43 = D

Below 40 just transfer to Harris Stowe

Edit - I didn't see Moytoy's list above until after I typed this as I just responded to Wiz and didn't scroll down first. Bess looks to be the low among these and that makes sense as the real value in his game was defense

Just now, slufanskip said:

This takes into account bigs which will frequently be over 50 raising the team %. I was really considering guards/wings. 

50+ = A

44-46 = C

41-43 = D

The limited data from the all A10 teams last year tend to support your grades for guards/wings.

14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

50+ = A

44-46 = C

41-43 = D

Edit - I didn't see Moytoy's list above until after I typed this as I just responded to Wiz and didn't scroll down first. Bess looks to be the low among these and that makes sense as the real value in his game was defense

You are correct...my data includes all players (bigs) so my numbers should be higher.

Here are some 3 pt grades...old and new...

.........2006-19...............2019-20  small but important sample size

A...........39.8%..................37.2%

C...........35.6%...................32.7%

F.............32.1%..................27.9%