GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

Can anyone answer this for me? The under 16:00 media time out in the 2nd half, it seemed like the refs just blew their whistle for a stoppage of play after UMass scored? I'm 98% sure there wasn't a foul or anything, because they made the bucket and did not shoot the and-one. After the time out, we inbounded the ball as usual. What happened?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm alright if Perkins just doesn't shoot at all. He's a horrendous 3 pt shooter and he's bad within the arc. I'm sorry I just haven't seen anything from Perkins to impress. You toss enough up. one eventually rolls around the rim and drops. Add to that the fact he's a mediocre defender. 

i wouldnt say that.   i think perkins is a scorer.   he has a knack for getting a shot.  and get away from the bad 3 point shooting he is shooting 41% inside the arc.   not horrible when you consider he is mostly shooting mid range jumpers on the move while being guarded.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i wouldnt say that.   i think perkins is a scorer.   he has a knack for getting a shot.  and get away from the bad 3 point shooting he is shooting 41% inside the arc.   not horrible when you consider he is mostly shooting mid range jumpers on the move while being guarded.  

41% from inside the arc only is not good. Maybe he should quit taking mid range jumpers on the move while being guarded. 

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Calls from last night that you don't see much anymore:  12 traveling violations (I agree on everyone of them, but traveling isn't called much anymore.)

And Goodwin's carry of the ball.  That was a head scratcher.

Yuri's taking the ball out of bounds after Perkins inbounded it, was, well, let's just say humorous. 

yuri has given us the pleasure of seeing two of the strangest college level turnovers you will see.   a 10 second call walking the ball up the court with no defensive pressure and the you take it out, no i'll take it out yesterday.   i agree humorous in hindsight since we won. 

cheeseman likes this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

41% from inside the arc only is not good. 

skip, i dont know if i agree that is horrible.   if they were all in the lane, then yes i agree but they are moving shots outside the lane in most instances.   i dont mind these.  but the three's are not good.  no arch and what really gets me is there is typically time on the shot clock and he has room to drive and get a more sensible shot.  

49 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He shoots 41% from inside the arc. Sorry, that's just not good. If you add in his 3's he's under 35%. Maybe this will change, as many Juco's are much better their Sr year. I'd like to see him be more selective and reduce the number of shots he takes. 

Somebody has to shoot out there.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

yuri has given us the pleasure of seeing two of the strangest college level turnovers you will see.   a 10 second call walking the ball up the court with no defensive pressure and the you take it out, no i'll take it out yesterday.   i agree humorous in hindsight since we won. 

dead on. I hope he gets these "freshman" mistakes out of here asap. akin to not running it out, two hands on the catch grade school stuff. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

skip, i dont know if i agree that is horrible.   if they were all in the lane, then yes i agree but they are moving shots outside the lane in most instances.   i dont mind these.  but the three's are not good.  no arch and what really gets me is there is typically time on the shot clock and he has room to drive and get a more sensible shot.  

What I said was his 3's are horrible and he's not good inside the arc. I wouldn't call it horrible from 2, but it certainly isn't good. I believe if he'd be a little more patient and selective he'd be much more efficient. 

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ha exactly. We can't tell everyone to not shoot. We have to have some kind of outside threat. And he's one of the more capable on this team the way it's currently constructed.

So far he hasn't shown he's a more capable shooter, just a more willing shooter. Too willing imo. 

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ha exactly. We can't tell everyone to not shoot. We have to have some kind of outside threat. And he's one of the more capable on this team the way it's currently constructed.

Yes.  Who do you want to take the 12 - 15 shot from the elbow?  There aren't a lot of candidates. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

What I said was his 3's are horrible and he's not good inside the arc. I wouldn't call it horrible from 2, but it certainly isn't good. I believe if he'd be a little more patient and selective he'd be much more efficient. 

i disagree skip.  i say he is good considering the shots.    like i said if you are in the lane all the time and shooting 41% well that's not good, but a lot of perkins is in that 12-18 foot range on the move while being guarded.   that is good imo for that range and level of difficulty.   now if you want nothing but 42% three point shooters and dunks, ala the old standard of rick pitino, well then yes, put that in the bad shot category.   i'll let you know when we got pitino level players that can do that.

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So far he hasn't shown he's a more capable shooter, just a more willing shooter. Too willing imo. 

It's not crazy to hope for Perkins to become a legit outside threat. He's probably our best free-throw shooter as of now and looks really smooth on those. The fundamentals are there at least.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He is listed having an abdominal injury, and Coach McCall said their is no timetable for his return.  According to the Injury Report, he has been out since mid December.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s seems like it’s more of a medical issue than an injury. Similar to Fred.

Thank you gentlemen.

34 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Can anyone answer this for me? The under 16:00 media time out in the 2nd half, it seemed like the refs just blew their whistle for a stoppage of play after UMass scored? I'm 98% sure there wasn't a foul or anything, because they made the bucket and did not shoot the and-one. After the time out, we inbounded the ball as usual. What happened?

There was an issue with a UMass player. I'm guessing blood on the jersey or on the player but not sure. The UMass bench already had a guy running to the table, as a ref and the player in question were walking toward the bench. I guess one of the refs just decided to go ahead and use the media time-out.

ETA: Actually, if the player had to come out (for whatever reason), that would have required a stoppage and a whistle. So at that point, it was time for the U16 time-out.

14 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

There was an issue with a UMass player. I'm guessing blood on the jersey or on the player but not sure. The UMass bench already had a guy running to the table, as a ref and the player in question were walking toward the bench. I guess one of the refs just decided to go ahead and use the media time-out.

ETA: Actually, if the player had to come out (for whatever reason), that would have required a stoppage and a whistle. So at that point, it was time for the U16 time-out.

Thanks. That makes sense. I was pretty confused. 

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree skip.  i say he is good considering the shots.    like i said if you are in the lane all the time and shooting 41% well that's not good, but a lot of perkins is in that 12-18 foot range on the move while being guarded.   that is good imo for that range and level of difficulty.   now if you want nothing but 42% three point shooters and dunks, ala the old standard of rick pitino, well then yes, put that in the bad shot category.   i'll let you know when we got pitino level players that can do that.

Just curious how many times a game do you suppose he gets to the rim or as you say in the lane? I'll help you out a bit. He shoots 6.33 shots a game from inside the arc. What do you guess he shoots on his attempts in the lane?  41% includes his shots at the rim or in the lane. If you take away what he shoots at the rim the % is probably even less. 

Btw .. I'd like to have Pitino level players and a few more 42% 3 point shooters. 

Always good when someone distorts the discussion to make their point. Usually means their point is wrong. 41% from inside the arc is not good, no matter how you skew it. And if he's taking shots where that would be considered good, he needs to stop taking those shots. 

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Skip - I totally get where you're coming from and am not saying I fully disagree. But one thing that Perkins does deserve credit for is that he draws the most fouls of everyone on our team, and is a decent free throw shooter. So his actually offensive effectiveness is probably a little higher than his 2-point % would suggest.

We need him to be more efficient, but we also need a player who can do the things he is capable of (create his own shot and get to the free throw line). 

moytoy12 likes this

46 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just curious how many times a game do you suppose he gets to the rim or as you say in the lane? I'll help you out a bit. He shoots 6.33 shots a game from inside the arc. What do you guess he shoots on his attempts in the lane?  41% includes his shots at the rim or in the lane. If you take away what he shoots at the rim the % is probably even less. 

Btw .. I'd like to have Pitino level players and a few more 42% 3 point shooters. 

Always good when someone distorts the discussion to make their point. Usually means their point is wrong. 41% from inside the arc is not good, no matter how you skew it. And if he's taking shots where that would be considered good, he needs to stop taking those shots. 

What do you consider to be a good 2 point percentage?

1 hour ago, NH said:

Skip - I totally get where you're coming from and am not saying I fully disagree. But one thing that Perkins does deserve credit for is that he draws the most fouls of everyone on our team, and is a decent free throw shooter. So his actually offensive effectiveness is probably a little higher than his 2-point % would suggest.

We need him to be more efficient, but we also need a player who can do the things he is capable of (create his own shot and get to the free throw line). 

Agree, IMO Perkins is the best 1-on-1 player on the roster and very good at drawing fouls but it appears that he is highly inefficient from the field (34% overall 23% from 3) but I'm wondering how much his 2-pt shooting % is affected by misses on which he's been fouled. Still, given the number of shots he takes you'd like him to be closer to Gibsons percentages of 47% and 42%.

6 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Agree, IMO Perkins is the best 1-on-1 player on the roster and very good at drawing fouls but it appears that he is highly inefficient from the field (34% overall 23% from 3) but I'm wondering how much his 2-pt shooting % is affected by misses on which he's been fouled. Still, given the number of shots he takes you'd like him to be closer to Gibsons percentages of 47% and 42%.

I believe (NCAA at least) if a player is fouled while shooting and does not make the basket, no field goal attempt is charged. If the shot goes in, an attempt is charged and a made field goal credited. So his FG% wouldn't be harmed by shooting and missing due to being fouled.

Crewsorlose and Zink like this

6 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I believe (NCAA at least) if a player is fouled while shooting and does not make the basket, no field goal attempt is charged. If the shot goes in, an attempt is charged and a made field goal credited. So his FG% wouldn't be harmed by shooting and missing due to being fouled.

Why would the NCAA change their scoring rules for the Dance?  That makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would the NCAA change their scoring rules for the Dance?  That makes no sense.

I'm clearly missing something here. I didn't mention "the Dance". I'm pretty sure the rules are the same. What exactly are you referring to?

ETA: I meant NCAA rules, as opposed to International or NBA etc. Is that what you are asking?